Honey, I Bleached the Asphalt

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There were some oil spots on the asphalt street in front of our house. Usually, these sort of spots disappear after awhile. This time they stayed. I went to Home Depot and they suggested a liquid product that would absorb the oil spots. The product did too good of a job and got rid of the oil spots, but unfortunately left the area bleached out --which makes the former oil spot area look weird and diseased. So, the question is, how do I darken the bleached area? The Home Depot people didn’t have any ideas (except maybe to call security).

The best of my solutions is to pour oil on the bleached area and then to use the same product that I had originally bought, but this time not to use so much of it and not to keep it on as long as I did the first time. You know, like follow the directions this time.

Anyone have a better suggestion to darken the bleached-out spot?

Call an asphalt company. They can put a slurry seal over it, or recommend something else. Shouldn't be too expensive if it's a small area.

As a kid, I saw this product called Flintkote that was a bitumen emulsion used in roofing.

I wonder if you can use something similar to that to [-]smear[/-] paint over the discolored area to make it nicely black again. It may need to be thinned out a bit to spread well with a broad brush.

Asphalt sealer would make it quite black.

I am surprised that someone at HD would have suggested a product that would absorb oil as a fix since asphalt is a petroleum based material as well. A sealer should cover the spot but it would need to be over the entire driveway to be uniform. The "bleached" spot may also be compromised and need to be removed and patched first.
Based on your original post and your solution it may be a better idea to contact someone whose business it is to make these kind of repairs.

Cheers!

This requires an artist's touch.
Here is one idea - to get the right color, experiment with a mixture of black powdered line chalk and powdered grey cement. Dust onto the target area and work in with a china bristle brush. Mist with a spray bottle and let dry.
When the right effect is achieved, set with something like hairspray or artist picture fix/varnish. If it is too glossy, scuff with a fine wire brush.
P.S. Option 2, dilute black inkjet ink in a spray bottle, mist over the area, let dry, check, mist more etc. Fix as above.

Last edited:
HD or Lowes has asphalt spray paint - used it after the parking lot we had slurry sealed got the parking lines painted in the wrong spots multiple times. It will be a different color/shine black, but weather and traffic will blend it well. After 6 months I can report that traffic will also wear it off the high points on the gravel in the road, exposing the previously hidden yellow lines. Eh. fog it in, blend it, look - a bird up there!

The roads are so bad where I live that I would be ecstatic if my biggest concern was for the color consistency of the road. I'm happy to complete a week of driving without needing an alignment. Wish someone would ask Mayor Pete about that.

Call an asphalt company. They can put a slurry seal over it, or recommend something else. Shouldn't be too expensive if it's a small area.

Too expensive to do it this way.

As a kid, I saw this product called Flintkote that was a bitumen emulsion used in roofing.

I wonder if you can use something similar to that to [-]smear[/-] paint over the discolored area to make it nicely black again. It may need to be thinned out a bit to spread well with a broad brush.

Thanks, old friend. Now we are getting closer to what I was thinking.

This is the street you're talking about not your driveway, correct?
How very strange.

Correct. We are talking the street, not the driveway. I don't understand what is "very strange." (But, I'm willing to take your word for it).

I am surprised that someone at HD would have suggested a product that would absorb oil as a fix since asphalt is a petroleum based material as well... The "bleached" spot may also be compromised and need to be removed and patched first...
Cheers!
Now you tell me.

I would double down on the bleaching effect and make an artistic design in the asphalt.

If this is the street, not your property, I would leave it alone and destroy any evidence now. The city or the county own it, not you.

This requires an artist's touch.
Here is one idea - to get the right color, experiment with a mixture of black powdered line chalk and powdered grey cement. Dust onto the target area and work in with a china bristle brush. Mist with a spray bottle and let dry.
When the right effect is achieved, set with something like hairspray or artist picture fix/varnish. If it is too glossy, scuff with a fine wire brush.
P.S. Option 2, dilute black inkjet ink in a spray bottle, mist over the area, let dry, check, mist more etc. Fix as above.

Sounds like a great idea; I wonder why I didn't immediately think of it. But first, I'd like to try calmloki's idea below.

HD or Lowes has asphalt spray paint - used it after the parking lot we had slurry sealed got the parking lines painted in the wrong spots multiple times. It will be a different color/shine black, but weather and traffic will blend it well. After 6 months I can report that traffic will also wear it off the high points on the gravel in the road, exposing the previously hidden yellow lines. Eh. fog it in, blend it, look - a bird up there!

I checked and it looks like HD carries a Rustoleum product that might work. I guess I should have gone to the paint dep't instead of the roofing dep't the first time around. Would I get a solvent or water based product?
(After all these years, I just realized the meaning of your screen name).

Ah, here's what happened to good ol' Flintkote.

The company made other products such as roof shingles and floor tiles that contained asbestos. They did not stop until 1982. Lawsuits drove the company to bankruptcy in 2004.

The Flintkote tradename is now owned by Shell, who still sells the bitumen goo overseas. Apparently, this is good stuff that is still used abroad. However, the American public remembers the bad stuff from the company, and the Flintkote bitumen is not sold here.

As this work will be done on a public street, for safety redduck will need to wear a high-visibility vest.

And in addition, some traffic redirection will be advisable. I know Mrs. Redduck is not as young as the person in the photo below, but this photo is all I could find from the Web.

road-crew-stop-sign-stock-photos_csp0466463.jpg

Add me to the thinks it's strange group.
Did you make the oil stain in the street? You may have caused the start of a pothole. Hope the paint resolves the issue.

Pictures? Maybe it’s not as bad as you’re thinking. Besides , I would not want to go any further on this. I assume you don’t own the street, but you may be paying a dear sum to fix it at this point. I would be inclined to walk away and not make things worse. Whether you fess up if someone comes knocking on your door is between you and your conscience, but I’d lay low.

Add me to the thinks it's strange group.
Did you make the oil stain in the street? You may have caused the start of a pothole. Hope the paint resolves the issue.

While it is true that I've been responsible for staining many things in my lifetime, I am not responsible for the oil stain in the street.

And, OK, as per your request, I will add you to the "thinks it's strange group." But, I still don't understand what the strangeness is.

And, OK, as per your request, I will add you to the "thinks it's strange group." But, I still don't understand what the strangeness is.

Well one of the joys of being FI is we get to be eccentric instead of insane!

People call me eccentric, but I think it's because of old age and not my stash of money.

By the way, eccentric means being "off center", doesn't it?

Hmmm... I am always different than my peers, at any age. So, it's inborn and does not go with age either. Something to mull over.

People call me eccentric, but I think it's because of old age and not my stash of money.

According to my father, "eccentric" just meant that one was a crazy person who had money. If one was flat broke, they were just plain crazy.:)

At this point I would play dumb and do nothing. While I regularly sweep our street and hose off after the garbage truck uses the compactor in front of our house, I would not repair anything.

Back
Top Bottom