house with just one-car garage

We all understand less is more. Your issue is that you refuse to believe that some hobbies or experiences require that you own some stuff.

True. And stuff is needed to expand the experiences. ie It is far more enjoyable to hike in some good hiking shoes than go barefoot.

The villas in our neighborhood in Florida (not technically 55+, but most owners are 55+) have 1 and 2 car garages and 2 car garages are definitely more prized.

Funny story. A friend bought a villa sight unseen... just based on pictures. It wasn't until he moved in that he realized that the garage was only 1-car and not 2-car. That was many years ago and he is still there.
A two car garage definitely comes in handy during hurricane season. I would not want my cars out in the driveway when debris including roof shingles flew off of roofs and hit cars. When I survived a Cat 3 hiding in my walk in closet, I spent the next two weeks without power and cleaning up my yard from.all off the debris that flew around. The house behind me was wrecked but mine sustained roof damage.

Last edited:
A two car garage definitely comes in handy during hurricane season. I would not want my cars out in the driveway when debris including roof shingles flew off of roofs and hit cars. When I survived a Cat 3 hiding in my walk in closet, I spent the next two weeks without power and cleaning up my yard from.all off the debris that flew around. The house behind me was wrecked but mine sustained roof damage.

+1 And then there's 1"-2" diameter hail, which does happen in some parts of the southern US. If you don't have your car inside a garage, then you get the lovely experience of dealing with incompetent/carpetbagger/moneygrubbing windshield repair dudes that flood in here from other states after a hailstorm.

I like having my two car garage for several reasons. Another is that I am an elderly single woman living alone in New Orleans (which has a huge crime problem). Parking in a locked garage is simply "street smarts" in some cities including here. I don't want to be getting in and out of my car out on the street, where I could more easily be car-jacked or assaulted. My car has never been burglarized, either.

As for "stuff", I don't have any in my two car garage except for the trash can and F's bicycle, but I suppose the occasional random newbie, troll, or teenager who hasn't bothered to read the forum, build up a posting history, or managed to get to know any of us, could think it's just crammed full of excess possessions (which are evil, dontcha know). :facepalm:

The OP wants to know about re-sale. Realtors here in New Orleans know that houses with garages consistently sell for more money than those without. I have no idea about other locations. So what's the harm in posting about that.

Clearly it works for you... sorry if the way I shared my opinion annoyed some of you. I tried to share a different opinion of "less is more" in this forum and I think this group understands the concept but my delivery was subpar.

Less "stuff" = more freedom to do other things.

Enjoy your choices... I will enjoy mine.
Less stuff= simply your life = freedom to do more - my life in a nutshell. My garage is as neat as the inside of my home and I like to jeep it that way. I do not treat my garage as a storage facility like my other neighbors.

Less stuff= simply your life = freedom to do more ...

My problem is that because I am a DIY'er, and I do a lot of stuff, I have tools and parts all over the place.

If I don't have the tools and parts, then I cannot do the things I like.

My problem is that because I am a DIY'er, and I do a lot of stuff, I have tools and parts all over the place.

Agreed. If I had that many tools in my garage I would keep my area locked whenever I'm not in the garage. There are some that want to use the five finger discount on acquiring things.

I have a whole room devoted to sewing, quilting, needlework. It is always what others would deem "a mess," but to me, and a select few others, it is a source of joy.

Well, I like chocolate ice cream and really can't understand how anyone can eat vanilla. In fact, they should be ashamed of themselves. :mad:

It seems to me that there may be some confusion over "excessive."

If your things have a purpose and you enjoy them, they are not excessive. They are enough, for you, no matter how much there is or how much space it takes up.

If you no longer use or enjoy your things, and are unlikely to regain your enjoyment, then they are excess. That's when most people get rid of stuff. When they don't, it can become a burden to them, and potentially a nuisance to others.

Many years ago, I read an article about Barbra Streisand selling all kinds of beautiful furniture and art objects, including real Tiffany lamps, because she wanted a change. My first thought was, "Oh, I couldn't bear to part with those lamps!" but Ms. Streisand was wise enough to know when she had finished with things.

I find your lack of ice cream inclusiveness disturbing.

Well, I like chocolate ice cream and really can't understand how anyone can eat vanilla. In fact, they should be ashamed of themselves. :mad:

According to the Barenaked Ladies song, One Week, “I like vanilla, it’s the finest of the flavors.”

I have a whole room devoted to sewing, quilting, needlework. It is always what others would deem "a mess," but to me, and a select few others, it is a source of joy.

That's kind of funny. I really appreciate things being organized and neat, but when it comes down to it, I just don't achieve that very often.

Sometimes, I'll look around at my collection of "messes", and smile. Maybe I've got a jumble of papers, reference books and a computer or two in one area, working on some programming project that caught my interest. In another area, I'm in the middle of a wood working project, with tools and wood sub-assemblies, glued, clamped and drying strewn about. On another bench, I've got some electronic hardware project I'm working on. And on another maybe I'm repairing one of the grand-kids toys.

I love having the space so I can have them all going at once, and I can switch between them as my interest or priorities change, or while I'm waiting for glue or paint to dry, or waiting for some parts I ordered. It makes me happy, and satisfied. Kind of feel like one of those crazy absent-minded professor types, with bubbling test tubes all around :)

One of these days I might get around to posting in the "What we're making" thread - since moving, I had to make a new workbench (a small 2'x4', but very solid for any heavy wood-working I might want to do), and the first thing I made using that workbench was a second work bench!

The second one is "flip-top" bench, placed next to my Miter Saw with the flip-top at the same height as the saw table to support longer pieces. The top can be used to hold tools as I work on the smaller bench, or as a space for glue-ups or painting. And it hinges up to expose another work surface underneath, about 6" deep. So I can have another project sitting there undisturbed while I do other things.

Now I'm going to walk away from the computer, and get started on building a nice cabinet for my music keyboards - which I have configured as a full two manual and 25 note bass pedal Hammond B-3 "clone". And figure out a good way to integrate a computer and monitor so I can have electronic "sheet music" in easy reach.

-ERD50

You sound a lot like my older brother; I bet you are an EE like him.

That's kind of funny. I really appreciate things being organized and neat, but when it comes down to it, I just don't achieve that very often.

Sometimes, I'll look around at my collection of "messes", and smile. Maybe I've got a jumble of papers, reference books and a computer or two in one area, working on some programming project that caught my interest. In another area, I'm in the middle of a wood working project, with tools and wood sub-assemblies, glued, clamped and drying strewn about. On another bench, I've got some electronic hardware project I'm working on. And on another maybe I'm repairing one of the grand-kids toys.

I love having the space so I can have them all going at once, and I can switch between them as my interest or priorities change, or while I'm waiting for glue or paint to dry, or waiting for some parts I ordered. It makes me happy, and satisfied. Kind of feel like one of those crazy absent-minded professor types, with bubbling test tubes all around :)

One of these days I might get around to posting in the "What we're making" thread - since moving, I had to make a new workbench (a small 2'x4', but very solid for any heavy wood-working I might want to do), and the first thing I made using that workbench was a second work bench!

The second one is "flip-top" bench, placed next to my Miter Saw with the flip-top at the same height as the saw table to support longer pieces. The top can be used to hold tools as I work on the smaller bench, or as a space for glue-ups or painting. And it hinges up to expose another work surface underneath, about 6" deep. So I can have another project sitting there undisturbed while I do other things.

Now I'm going to walk away from the computer, and get started on building a nice cabinet for my music keyboards - which I have configured as a full two manual and 25 note bass pedal Hammond B-3 "clone". And figure out a good way to integrate a computer and monitor so I can have electronic "sheet music" in easy reach.

-ERD50

According to the Barenaked Ladies song, One Week, “I like vanilla, it’s the finest of the flavors.”
I'm sorry, but I do have principles. It is a slippery slope to strawberry.

Bite your tongue! Everybody knows the best, most superior ice cream is Blue Bell cherry vanilla. People who consume other flavors or brands of ice cream are shameful, inferior, sub-human blobs of protoplasm and should never be allowed ice cream again in this country. It's un-American. I'll write my congressman. ;)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 19
The only ice cream a civilized person would eat is this one. Period. Full Stop. :D

Attachments

• Coffee.PNG
    Coffee.PNG
    613.6 KB · Views: 18
Ice cream? :nonono: Y'all are doomed. No matter what flavor, they are loaded with sugar.

But back on garages, big and small, they are a luxury in many places. Go to Europe and see how many homes have a garage.

Few people there live in single detached homes, let alone having a garage. And in the suburb where there's land, they don't have garages either. They do have storage sheds though, but the sheds are smaller than even a single garage.

So, do these people have hobbies at all? How do they manage it?

......So, do these people have hobbies at all? How do they manage it?
No, they don't have hobbies, they just sit around and eat ice cream. No three car garage, no hobbies.

No, they don't have hobbies, they just sit around and eat ice cream. No three car garage, no hobbies.

They even eat American ice cream, for crying out loud. I was taken aback when I saw Ben & Jerry's ice cream in grocery stores in Northern Spain. :eek:

Well, it works for them. They are healthier than Americans, and weigh less too.

I am clearing out my garage tomorrow, in order to install a freezer full of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Can't beat them, so might as well join them.

The only ice cream a civilized person would eat is this one. Period. Full Stop. :D

I will agree with Haagen Daz but no coffee for me.
Ben and Jerry works for me too.

I could never do a one car garage, but for those who can, more power to you! Now technically, the house I'm in now has a no-car garage! When I set out looking for a new house a few years back, my goal was at least a four car garage, but I knew that wasn't really feasible, so I put a priority on a good, level, buildable lot where I could add garage space, as needed. A lot of houses I looked at had two car garages, three car garages, and one even had a 2-car attached and an oversized 2-car detached, but none of them just had the right combination of house, garage, yard, price, property taxes, etc.

I remember one of the early houses I looked at, theoretically had a two car garage. But it was somewhat narrow. And worse, one of the bays was reduced in depth by stairs going up to the house. I think they had a Lexus ES300 in the "longer" bay, and it took up more room than a small-ish car like that should. I estimated the depth of the shorter bay by walking it off, and guessed it was about 15 feet. No car I ever owned would have fit in that spot. Even my old '88 LeBaron turbo coupe was something like 185". Or 15 feet, 5 inches.

The current house does have a "sort of" garage. It's about 14 feet wide, 15 feet deep, has a swinging double-door big enough to get a good-sized tractor in, but not a car. It also has about a 4-foot roof overhang in front, which is nice and helps keep rain off the front of the building. It has a shed roof addition on the side that's closed in the back, and about 15 feet on the side. It's about 12 feet wide, and with the 4' overhang, about 19 feet. It's barely enough to get any of my cars in it, but the evening sun will hit the car, and if it rains at a slight angle, that'll get the front of the car wet.

I still have most of my antique cars at the old house, in a 24x40 foot garage I had built back in 2005, designed for four cars. Two single doors on one of the 24 foot sides, so you could put the cars in two-deep. I'm in the process of having a 36x60 foot pole barn, with a 15x60 loft, built at the new place, and when it's done I can finally move the cars over, and sell the old house.

36x60 sounds pretty big, but I have a gut feeling I'm going to find a way to fill it up pretty quickly!

Few people there live in single detached homes, let alone having a garage. And in the suburb where there's land, they don't have garages either. They do have storage sheds though, but the sheds are smaller than even a single garage.

So, do these people have hobbies at all? How do they manage it?

It doesn't matter. Their lives are clearly nasty, brutish, and short.

Incidentally, when we lived in the UK from 2004-2007, there was a big trend toward building U.S.-style large, 2-story wood homes with garages.

Back
Top Bottom