How to Disguise/Cover This Wall?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In the past, we had great neighbors and the space between our houses was woodsy. We could barely see their yard:

KErDoPl.png

Then the neighbor from hell moved in, and wanting to change the rural landscape to his native suburbia, removed all the bushes and tree branches. Then, he put up a big wall:

TMQqWBA.png

Now that I'm done collecting and splitting firewood, I want to remove my woodsheds. However, with them gone, I'll be looking at the city-like wall.

I'd like to plant trees there, but I doubt there's enough sun. I could plant English ivy, but that's nonnative and invasive.

Any ideas?

Cedar hedge? They grow quick. Once they grow trim it once a year and you're all set.

I always thought the "finished" side of the fence had to face the neighbor? Or maybe that is just how they do it around here. Cedar hedge sounds like a good idea.

I'd be off to the town hall and look into code about fences and barrriers.

I actually had a neighbor do similar. I looked into the local code, and found that I was correct in thinking the finished side should face me. I made a written request to neighbor for code conformance. It actually took too long for him to correct the situation, so I had to write again in 6 months. I probably should have just gone to code enforcement officer, but thought he would respond right away and correct it. He promised to do it in the fall (1st request), but time went on, and I wrote again early spring.

I see the motivation of the murder in the next novel . . .

Might be hard to get cedars to grow there if the wall runs east-west and you are on the north side. Maybe if you stand them off a decent distance. Or hemlock or yew that are more shade tolerant (but usually more expensive). Do you have many deer? The enjoy both cedar and yew. Looks like a couple of the spruce on his side are going to take a couple panels out at some point.

Yes on the finished side is supposed to face you. Around here folks mainly put up 'good neighbor' fences where there is a central spanner with boards on each side so both sides look 'finished'. Yes on the motive in the next novel. Is he planning to raise wolves or something?

English ivy (Hedera helix)?

English Ivy is prohibited in some areas due to its invasive nature. Though I suspect that if you can buy it at your local nursery it is not banned. If your side is southern or anything other than northern exposed then all sorts of vines would be options. Trumpet vine, wisteria, clematis although all of these are deciduous.

Most vines are deciduous. If you don't mind that, Virginia creeper is widely available for free (just dig it up or take cuttings), grows like a weed (which it is) and is quite attractive (turns red in Fall).

Just remember, Virginia creeper has clusters of FIVE shiny leaves. Don't bring home that pretty vine that has THREE shiny leaves, lol

Over time, vines of any type can pull down a wall with their weight. So there's that.

My quick search suggests that it's neighborly to put the good side toward your neighbor, but not required. Note that I don't want the fence to go away.

The fence runs north/south, but here's the view of the southern sky:

2DkFhGj.png

But I'm encouraged that there are some hedges that can tolerate full shade.

Do you think hiring a professional gardener would be a good idea, or would consultation at a local nursery be good enough?

I'm guessing that since the fence is on his property by a few feet, he could tear down any ivy or other climbing vine that covers it. I could add a trellis on my side.

I could easily propagate with cuttings of English ivy, but I would become the enemy of a lot of other neighbors.

I was on another forum where some guy was complaining about the neighbor's woodsheds. Said he was going to put up a big fence. Not sure how that turned out. :whistle:

-ERD50

Not sure where you live, but if that had been California where I live, the first photo would have had the fire marshal all over you for not having a minimum 100' defensive space. Also, where I live, there is a 30' set back to neighboring side parcels and it doesn't look like you have that either.

I understand. CDF comes around once a year and walks around the house with me. They give me a passing grade but only because a 100' defensible space is not remotely feasible.

Is that the same house that had the growers, that tapped into the electric line on the other side of the meter? That might explain a big fence.

-ERD50

Ideas? 12 gauge and some clay birds?

I see the motivation of the murder in the next novel . . .

just make sure the troublesome neighbour disappears in completely different circomstances ... otherwise the next book will be a success for all the wrong resons

sadly Pro Hart is no longer among us .. he might have been delighted with a canvas like that

Last edited:
We have a fence and the neighbors have awesome vines that climb it. We love it. They told us the previous owner would cut it down.

I don't think I'd do the ivy. A neighbor behind us planted some ivy and it has taken over. There are shoots in our yard that I have to pull and it has strangled some of my garden plants. It's really invasive.

Except that I’m a believer that the nice side should point out (toward the neighbor), I don’t see the problem with the fence. The wooded area that was there before was pretty scrubby. I guess I’m a city boy at heart. Question: What window do you see this out of? For example, if it were my kitchen sink window, I’d be more concerned than if it were my bedroom window.

As for growing something, try anything that you think would look nice. A lot of plants that are labeled as not being for a shaded area, still do just fine. So, I wouldn’t worry about that too much. I’ve found more important is drainage and water. If plants need good drainage, they don’t tend to do well in clay soil. If plants need a lot of water, they don’t do well in dry areas without a lot of watering (expensive).

Personally, I wouldn’t want a wall of arborvitae. That’s just a green wall. You already have a wall. I’d get some plants of varying heights and colors and see how they do. I’ve been into bonsai and my main goal would be to find cheap plants. It’s a lot less aggravating to lose a plant when you’ve spent little or no money on it.

I don't think I'd do the ivy. A neighbor behind us planted some ivy and it has taken over. There are shoots in our yard that I have to pull and it has strangled some of my garden plants. It's really invasive.

+1

Once planted, you'll never get rid of it. As an added benefit, once it grows all over the fence, it'll cause the wood to rot quicker (since the wood never gets a chance to dry out). Those horizontal boards will be the first to go bad.

Fast growing and cheap trees are flowering pears. We used them to disguise a city neighbor. They spread out within a couple years and grew several feet taller in that time frame. They bare no fruit.

Back
Top Bottom