How to Disguise/Cover This Wall?

+1, he also must have trespassed on your property to install this. Personally, I cannot imagine anyone doing something like this without discussing with their neighbor.
I agree, but I would resist going to war with the neighbor over this. If relations are otherwise okay, I'd probably even try to find a way to find something nice to say during a conversation.
It's just my opinion, but having a hostile relationship with a next-door neighbor (even one who is a complete jerk) takes so much energy and increases the stress level so much that I will go to great lengths to avoid it. No amount of protesting and going to court is going to result in the removal of that fence, and even an imposed cosmetic change is going to come at a big cost.

Now, if things devolve into the open conflict with the neighbor, then the gloves come off and any legal tool can be put to use. But I wouldn't anticipate "winning" anything (any more than anyone ever "wins" a fistfight--you each just lose to different degrees).

+1, he also must have trespassed on your property to install this. Personally, I cannot imagine anyone doing something like this without discussing with their neighbor. Be careful, next he may expect you to share in the maintenance cost of the fence. I would think arborvitae or holly trees might be good screening choices.

Perhaps not if the fence is a few feet inside of the line as Al has indicated.

I'm guessing that since the fence is on his property by a few feet ...

Last edited:
+1, he also must have trespassed on your property to install this. Personally, I cannot imagine anyone doing something like this without discussing with their neighbor. Be careful, next he may expect you to share in the maintenance cost of the fence. I would think arborvitae or holly trees might be good screening choices.

I agree, but I would resist going to war with the neighbor over this. If relations are otherwise okay, I'd probably even try to find a way to find something nice to say during a conversation.
It's just my opinion, but having a hostile relationship with a next-door neighbor (even one who is a complete jerk) takes so much energy and increases the stress level so much that I will go to great lengths to avoid it. No amount of protesting and going to court is going to result in the removal of that fence, and even an imposed cosmetic change is going to come at a big cost.

Now, if things devolve into the open conflict with the neighbor, then the gloves come off and any legal tool can be put to use. But I wouldn't anticipate "winning" anything (any more than anyone ever "wins" a fistfight--you each just lose to different degrees).
Our neighbor actually became the president of home association before the replacement fence went up. His wife insisted that the installers reverse the fence, since it looked nicer from their view. The husband admitted this, and that he wasn't home when the change was made. Eventually I imagine they had to pay to have the fence reversed.

The relationship was actually damaged years before, when the neighbor erected a full 2-story play house in the corner of his yard abutting mine. The association at that time took action by going to the township code official. The playhouse was too tall, and too close to property lines. So he fought, and went for a code exemption. Of course he lost, because everyone on the board has neighbors, and could not see any reason he should be permitted to let this stand as is.

So the fence now sits as it should, and we have two large evergreens in front of the fence which continue to grow.

I've thought about this often, as there is direct line of sight to their yard. If he had approached me before replacing the fence (it was his, on his property), I would have suggested going with board on board, and I'd pay for half the material cost.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a tear-down of Al's neighbor's fence. But there may be more in the code that affects this. Just a suggestion, and everyone must live with their neighbors.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hib..._AUIFSgB&cshid=1562946573021&biw=1280&bih=800

I have a hibiscus hedge along my property masking a privacy fence. I trim mine because when it reaches 10 or so feet the weight of the flowers pulls the branches over. Trimming also promotes a denser growth. They are perennial but they also drop seeds so you get new seedlings every Spring. Mowing near the hedge ensures that the hedge doesn't become deeper every year but you can also pull the new plants every year or let them grow a couple years and transplant them further down the row. It's fast growing and flowers.

If the fence doesn't violate codes for height, finished side out, etc., I would let it go and landscape my side. Some battles aren't worth fighting, and it doesn't sound like T-Al is looking to change the fence. "Good fences make good neighbors."

How about something with big leaves like Elephants Ears along the fence and a low flowering plant like Impatiens in front? Both of those should do well in a shady spot in coastal northern CA, and it's a bit different than a hedge or row of trees.

I don’t think the concept of nice side out has to do with security or escape. I could be wrong, but I think it has more to do with the property line. If you bring the fence right to the property line, the face of the boards facing out should be on a plane right on the property line. This makes it so the entire fence is just inside the property line and that none of the fence owners property is left unfenced.

Of course in this case, they put the fence way inside of the property line. Not sure why. But as has been mentioned, theoretically this land beyond the fence could become his neighbors’ (Al’s) if he’s not careful.

It varies based on the county/city zoning regulations, but where I live we have the same regulation: if you build the fence right up to the property line, you must put the "finished" side out. I believe the thinking is that if you put it a few inches inside, your neighbor can build their own pretty fence up to the property line if they don't like your fence, so then you can put the "unfinished" side out. If you build right on the line so that they can't do so, then you have to have the nicer side facing out.

We actually had the property surveyed before we built our fence, and it turned out an old chain link fence of our neighbor's slanted over onto our property, so the people who were putting in our fence said they could move it back to the line for under $200. I went next door and offered to pay for the move now rather than take the neighbor to court and make them pay for it later.

Before you think I'm a horrible neighbor, these neighbors were the whole reason we were putting up a fence. They were in court a lot for all kinds of things, both civil and criminal. I was only involved in two of those, and they were criminal issues, not civil.

Last edited:
In the past, we had great neighbors and the space between our houses was woodsy. We could barely see their yard:

KErDoPl.png

Then the neighbor from hell moved in, and wanting to change the rural landscape to his native suburbia, removed all the bushes and tree branches. Then, he put up a big wall:

TMQqWBA.png

Now that I'm done collecting and splitting firewood, I want to remove my woodsheds. However, with them gone, I'll be looking at the city-like wall.

I'd like to plant trees there, but I doubt there's enough sun. I could plant English ivy, but that's nonnative and invasive.

Any ideas?
Hire a graffiti artist.

It went like this: He cleared the trees and bushes so that even with the sheds there, their house and tchotchke-filled yard was visible. I put tarps on the back of the sheds, he put up the fence.

Remember, the fence is better than seeing his junk, so to speak, but worse than it was before. If I can get a hedge going, things will be good.

------------

My green-thumb (good) neighbor showed me a holly tree that grows in her yard. It gets very little light. I'm going to try one of those, and if it shows signs of not dying, I'll add some more.

I'm going to try a Craigslist ad: "Free woodsheds, some disassembly required." If that doesn't work, I'll take them apart and offer the parts for free.

Do you think hiring a professional gardener would be a good idea, or would consultation at a local nursery be good enough?

A professional gardener and a local lawyer who understands the local laws and practicalities in your case.

This can turn into an expensive PITA, do everything you can to prevent it from morphing into something bigger.

Best of luck to you.

Fence looks pretty tall so check the local code.. where I was code was in NY it was 6’ for a solid fence but you could go higher with deer mesh. In my area of CA it was only 4’ which didn’t really keep in some of the dogs!

I always thought the "finished" side of the fence had to face the neighbor? Or maybe that is just how they do it around here. Cedar hedge sounds like a good idea.

A lot of towns have requirements that the finished side face outward (and the crappy side in). I’d investigate whether the neighbor from hell has a violation. If true, he can pay to have it turned around, or maybe deal with you to cover it up.

A lot of towns have requirements that the finished side face outward (and the crappy side in). I’d investigate whether the neighbor from hell has a violation. If true, he can pay to have it turned around, or maybe deal with you to cover it up.

to the OP...if you approach the neighbor keep it civil and friendly. 30-yrs working at and managing a large regional 9-1-1 call center i've seen these sort of things escalate beyond all reason. if the neighbor is not reasonable i'd drop it and plant as suggested.

Pick your battles wisely. You may find out you have a 10ft easement and your woodshed be out of code.

I think the fence looks pretty good. Maybe you'll get used to it and learn to be glad of the privacy. Plant a few trees and eventually the fence will weather and not show much. Might be a good spot for a shed.

It went like this: ... I put tarps on the back of the sheds, he put up the fence. ....

I still can't help trying to picture the conversation from the neighbor. Might go like this:

"Geez, it wasn't bad enough I gotta look at that guy's woodshed with all the rusty fasteners! Now he's thrown tarps over them, like some kinda tent city! I'm putting up a big ol' fence!"

:LOL:

-ERD50

Pick your battles wisely. You may find out you have a 10ft easement and your woodshed be out of code.

Hehe, yeah, what I was thinking. "The neighbor from hell" bought the house and saw a line of lean to sheds up on cinder blocks and thought OMG, the guy is so broke he heats with wood.

My wife wanted to disguise the neighbors fence so I planted 15 Australian Bottle Brush on the north side of the fence. They grow fast and attract humming birds. I planted about 18" high plants along the 100' fence and in a couple of years they were 6'+ tall. Unfortunately the neighbors who lived there at that time had weed killer sprayed on their side but it was enough to drift a couple of feet and killed my nice hedge. I couldn't prove anything but their weeds were all gone along with the entire length of my dying plants. But they were really nice while they lasted and it was fun to see the hummingbirds. Eventually their fence will fall down and they will have to replace it since they have a swimming pool.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Don't know the climate & how close the fence is to the property line, but I like climbing hydrangea to go up the fence. Plant it on your property & let it go. If he periodically wants to trim it, let him as long as he stays out of your property. I also love oak leave hydrangea that can get 5' tall or so.

30 years ago, same issue. New neighbor cut down beautiful trees to put up a chain link fence. Now, that should be illegal in my book...but, after calming down over a week or two I approached the new guys and said " hey , do you mind if I plant something that might cover up the fence?" " Like what? " he asked. " I dunno', maybe some climbing Ivy or something?" He shrugged and said he didn't mind as long as I maintained it and he didn't have to do any trimming etc. (If he had said no I was prepared to do a trellis about a 6 inches away on my side of the fence and go from there.)

Anyway, I planted climbing green beans - when they started appearing I told him to help himself. The fence was about 40 feet long and about 5 feet tall.

Both our families had so many green beans we were giving them away. Planted two different types and learned a lot of new green bean recipes ( Green Bean Moussaka is still in my repertoire/rotation) over those few years.

Looked really nice and, along with my garden, was quite useful as a food source.

Unless you hate green beans...

:)

Last edited:
I still can't help trying to picture the conversation from the neighbor. Might go like this:

"Geez, it wasn't bad enough I gotta look at that guy's woodshed with all the rusty fasteners! Now he's thrown tarps over them, like some kinda tent city! I'm putting up a big ol' fence!"

:LOL:

-ERD50

Yea, that's what I was thinking too (but was hesitant to say it).

Some people like things "rustic"/woodsy. Others like a big fat yard like a golf course, surrounded by a big fence.

I have the only stone driveway on my street, everyone else's is blacktop. I wouldn't be surprised if some thought my drive was an eyesore.

I've convinced myself that my driveway is more environmentally friendly due to the water management, but the reality is that it would be tricky and costly (~25K) to pave due to the way the property is situated.

I'm going to plant a holly tree and a podocarpus and see how they do. I'll also be adding English Ivy.

UPDATE:

I've planted two holly trees and a podocarpus, to see how they'll do.

bljckun.png

It's now clear that the 10' high fence will make it hard for them to get enough light. The county regulations require a fence of less than 6' without setback and permit requirements.

I'm going to have a tree company come and remove overhanging branches and other branches on my trees so that the plants near the fence will get more light.

Back
Top Bottom