How to get rid of a dead squirrel

kat

Full time employment: Posting here.
Well, this is one of the reasons I used to call Dad..... things that show up dead, and I don't have a clue what to do. I can still call Dad, but I'm a big girl now and I want to do it myself.

Any suggestions on how to dispose of a dead squirrel? It's dead on the floor of my detached garage. I sense it died in the past couple months, but I can't be sure. I haven't used the garage in awhile.

Do I just stick a shovel under it and dump it in a bag and then the garbage can?

That's my plan. Anything better to do? Anything to be concerned about? I don't know what killed it.

Kate

Do you have a local animal control department you could call? Most likely it's a non-issue and you'd be fine to put it in a sealed bag or bury it.

Do you have a local animal control department you could call?

'Cause they need a laugh? A dessicated two month old squirrel carcass? Peel Rocky off the floor with the shovel and, after appropriate rites, bury the l'il nut-muncher with full honors.

Or use the shovel and your garbage can.

Man you guys! Get a plastic trash bag, pick it up with the bag and toss it in the garbage can.

(cross posted with calmloki--same difference)

In my flat part of TX, we can't put dead animals in the trash. We have to call animal control.

'Course then again, I wonder who would be lookin'? :p

That's the plan then -- shovel, bag, garbage can.

I'll go do it now!

Thank you!

+Martha, or just put the thing in the garbage can naked. Oh and be sure to look for the mate maybe he/she is dead in the corner of the garage.

In my flat part of TX, we can't put dead animals in the trash. We have to call animal control.

So you can have a gun in Texas but can't throw away the body?

Though it seems like overkill and probably isn't normally required, there *are* jurisdictions where this technically is the law. Granted, it's very unlikely anyone will know you dumped dead contraband into the trash in those jurisdictions.

The ground is frozen in many places, digging a hole would be a lot of work and only invite a visit from a raccoon tonight. If you don't want to approach it/handle it, just scoop him up with a flat shovel and put him directly in the trash can. There's nothing wrong with saying goodbye to the poor critter as you close the lid.

+Martha, or just put the thing in the garbage can naked. ....

That way onlookers don't notice you are disposing of a body?

BTW - shouldn't KHAN be the go-to source for squirrel information?

I'm pretty sure here that animal control only gets involved when its on the road or sidewalk or other city property, or its a big issue some other way.

If your dog is hit by a car and dies in the road, animal control will pick it up. If your dog dies at home, animal control is not involved. I'm guessing it's similar to that.

But tonight is trash pick up night (municipal pick up), and city offices are closed, so I'll wing it. I want to clean out the garage.

Though it seems like overkill and probably isn't normally required, there *are* jurisdictions where this technically is the law. Granted, it's very unlikely anyone will know you dumped dead contraband into the trash in those jurisdictions.
I assume they do this to test for rabies or other diseases. Fortunately, I haven't found any dead critters.

I assume they do this to test for rabies or other diseases. Fortunately, I haven't found any dead critters.
That's my guess. Or West Nile. Or perhaps other diseases that may have been caused from things like bites from infected fleas and ticks. But I'd expect that's mostly done only if there's already a known outbreak in the area.

Thank goodness there are laws to prevent us from putting squirrel pelts in our garbage cans.

This is the kind of thing I'd LOVE to be cited for. Lampooning the local officials over this would become a part-time hobby for months as it worked its way through the court system. I would be in the newspaper every day.

Once the number of responses to a "simple question" goes beyond 15 this forum gets interesting.

Scoop he/she up with the shovel and drop into the middle of the road then go in and call the Animal Control people and tell the to "come and get it". Saves everyone any problems and then they can dissect the thing to their hearts content.

Hahahaha - I had the same problem, but I was house-sitting for some friends and the issue was their Jack Russell terrier had shook the squirrel to death - I couldn't look at either animal in the eye for an hour and it took me 5 minutes to get the squirrel away from the dog....I text messaged my friend wondering what to do - she said "squirrel in garbage, dog upstairs in bathroom with door closed for a few hours to have an easier place to clean up 'mess' if ingested too much." I think she laughed at that one. Have you ever looked at a recently dead squirrel in the eyes? Yikes! As for the dog, well, he was being....a dog. But Jack Russell's being the way they are, he knew I was a bit disgusted and tried hard to get back into my good graces - they are cute but very manipulative little buggers.

At one point nutria decided to use our place - they're big ugly stupid 16# monster rat looking critters with the stickiest scat you would ever swear about stepping in. Started a campaign of live trapping them & dumping them in our empty 33G plastic trash can. They would oblige by looking right up at the muzzle of a .22 rifle, which made dispatching them quick and fairly humane. Trash went on top. After a while there was a perfect congruence of lack of nutria, guilt about subjecting the garbageman to week old summer nutria corpses, and suspicion that one fine morning John Law would be pointing his sidearm at me and suggesting i drop the weapon. But those were big ol' nasty bodies, not pre-dried minis.

When I was doing a psychology experiment with a rat, one of the students wrote a note to the prof, “I think my rat is dying, what should I do.” Prof wrote back, “if rat dies, wrap in R.P. and throw out.” The Royal Purple was the student newspaper. His advice transfers to a lot of situations.

Kat, I would also suggest watching “The Sopranos” videos. I just finished season five and they show numerous methods. The trouble with ground burial is that later they sometimes have to move the bodies, it’s hard to remember where the bodies are buried and it’s labor intensive.

Okay, you'all made me go look up the ordinances in my city. Animal control only deals with live animals, except in the cases of suspected dangerous diseases like rabies. Then, they can demand you turn over the carcass to them and it's against the law to refuse. Otherwise, dead animals are classified as solid waste and you can stick it in the trash. In fact, it is against the law to keep a dead animal on your property.

In my city, animal control will pick up dead pets; that method is free and the people who come out very respectfully put the pet into a plastic bag. The vet charges $40 to send the pet out for cremation with that day's pets and scattering at the pet cemetery; if you want your pet cremated separately it costs more, and on and on up to plot with headstone.

Back
Top Bottom