How to get silicone off of skin?

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was using GE silicone ina caulking tube today and got it all over...then got my hands muddy....now i cant get this brown stuff off my hands!!!

I tried nail polish remover, hand cleaner with pumice then xylene, the only 3 things i have that i could think of

any ideas? a google search ran me in circles

Oh man i'm in trouble! We have family pictures tomorrow and I'm supposed to do a shot with my just-turned-1-year-old son where we both hold his hand and 'walk' with him...all you see is each of our hands and then him with his arms up and to the side holding ours. can you say photoshop?? my wife is pissed!

Oh man i'm in trouble! We have family pictures tomorrow and I'm supposed to do a shot with my just-turned-1-year-old son where we both hold his hand and 'walk' with him...all you see is each of our hands and then him with his arms up and to the side holding ours. can you say photoshop?? my wife is pissed!

First, what's the biggest problem... that you have an image which 30 years from now will bring a smile to everyone's face? (I wouldn't manipulate it.)

Anyway, in trouble you may well be. A Google search indicates that the only solution is mechanical removal (sandpaper or amputation? :D). There is, however, an outside chance that Acetone (Fingernail Polish Remover) will soften it a little. That might help some. Vinegar was also mentioned.

Well, since you live in Cleveland, why not suggest that the pictures be taken outside, where I'm sure you will need to wear gloves? :cool:

try lacquer thinner - it is a mixture of a number of solvents - usually one in the mixture will work. Unfortunately, one is also benzene, so it's not a good idea to use on a regular basis.

It is amazing that it stuck this well! lacquer thinner didnt work. im just peeling and scrubbing hourly. pics are in 15 hrs....and i've decided to concentrat my efforts on just one hand...i got it almost clean on the top...and then got a 1 inch gouge while working today. wooohoo

Life is like a classroom. Sometimes it kills you but most of the time you learn without serious injury. Wear gloves next time :D

If you got that messy with silicone caulk, hopefully it was because you were using a finger as a bead-smoothing tool. But I always have paper towels handy to wipe off and re-use that same finger, rather than just using the next finger, and then the next... Don't take your shoes off!!! :D

Westernskies mentioned denatured alcohol, rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) does dissolve silicone. Not real quickly for cured silicone, though.

Life is like a classroom. Sometimes it kills you but most of the time you learn without serious injury. Wear gloves next time :D

for the record, i was siliconing a fitting to the end of a pvc pipe...its a losse fitting black piece to mate 4" pvc to 4" black corrugated, and i wanted to be sure it was as close to water-tight as possible. i was muddy as heck, and think grabbed some silicone disguised as mud while using my hands as shovels to grade my trench. gloves were off because i had worn holes right thru the fingertips while hand-shoveling gravel. the rest is history....

Isn't it paintable caulk? Just give it a coat of fleshtone, and voila!

If you got that messy with silicone caulk, hopefully it was because you were using a finger as a bead-smoothing tool. But I always have paper towels handy to wipe off and re-use that same finger, rather than just using the next finger, and then the next... Don't take your shoes off!!! :D

I dip my finger in mineral spirits when using silicone caulk, keeps the caulk from sticking to your finger but once dry, only thing I know to do is to let it wear off or peel it if it's thick enough.

FYI ... I wouldn't be soaking myself in organic solvents (your liver pays the price). Better to wait a few days ... it'll wear off.

Friction usually works with silicone - once it has dryed, rubbing your hands together will take off the glue. But, I have never added mud to the equation....
Now if you are talking about the "hot blue" stuff for PVC piping.....time is the only cure - that stuff has to wear off!

Back
Top Bottom