How to select Binoculars?

8 x 32 roof prisms are pretty compact and do fine for bright scenes.

The friends we travel with have Leica Trinovids (a compact binocular). We were very impressed with the image quality, but these are currently $900 or so. Instead I bought Zeiss Victory for a few hundred less and am very happy with them. Good for travel, probably not good for birders or sports.

Brief update. Not sure yet what final decision will be, but likely 8X42 and I've upped the budget allowance to $250. I doubt I'll go that high, but while I'm somewhat of a cheapskate I also am willing to pay for decent quality.

Go to a store and look, don't buy online if you have no experience.

$250 to 500 is a good place to be. Really. I can't tell you how much the difference between OK and good binocs is. Go and look. Look for a long time too. Cheap binocs may look fine at first but then cause eye strain. Eye strain from not being parallel.

Good ones will be clear and sharp and bright with a wide field of view sharp to the outer perimeter. They will not cause eye strain and you won't want to stop viewing.

Final update: $325 later, opted for the Nikon Monarch 5 10X42. I tried both the 8X and 10X and preferred the latter, and didn't have problems with focus, following a moving object, etc.
The dollars are smaller, but this experience was similar to my hunting for a new bicycle several years back. Naively, I thought $750 was a generous budget allowance for a new road bike, and ended up paying some $500 above that (and even that $1250 is relatively small potatoes in the cycling-purchase-world!). So, paying $165 over my planned amount is a bargain compared to my bicycle hunt.

Final update: $325 later, opted for the Nikon Monarch 5 10X42............
I think you will like them. Good quality optics and waterproof, plus the close focusing option is neat for butterflies and other close up opportunities.

Yes, Nikon Monarchs are a good choice. DW loves hers.

I'm a bit surprised at your bicycle comment, though.
I bought a new bike last year for nearly $800 and practically had a stroke paying for it. It was a closeout and I saved nearly $200 on the purchase, but still I had to tell myself it was worth it.

Of course, it really was worth it. Guess I don't know much about bicycles these days.

Hahahaha, i remember going to the ballpark, Shea Stadium general admission was .80 cents. My friends father would take us, he had a transistor radio and binoculars. the players looked like ants. I on occasion heard the crack of the bat. Other than that , i thought the tv was a way better way to see the game. Fast forward maybe 45 years and we got some kind of VIP seats, food included, sort of private bathrooms that were immaculate, waitresses etc.. For me thats the way to go to a game. These seem like a great deal https://www.wholesalepartysupplies....550000883222&gclid=CPTF74iJxtQCFYmFswodw2sJPg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom