How to tie shoes

SecondAttempt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was tempted to put this in the BTD thread...

I treated myself to a nice pair of Italian dress shoes. They actually were not that expensive, about $250 on special. They are Bruno Magli brand which I think is one of the more modest priced of the Italian luxury shoe brands.

But here's my question, and I feel really stupid for asking. They come laced in a weird way. I attached a picture of a similar shoe so you can see how they are laced. It seems to be typical of Italian shoes.

The loose ends of the laces come out under the rest of the laces but over the tongue. It is possible to tie them this way, and not even difficult, but it is not at all what I am used to even with dress shoes.

Am I supposed to unlace them and relace them the "normal" way? Or is this the way fancy shoes are laced? The internet so far has been surprisingly unhelpful. I have even tried to look hard on fashion sites but it is usually pretty hard to see shoe laces and I think I have seen it both ways but very hard to tell.

Attachments

• Shoe.jpg
    Shoe.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 140
Of course it's not what you are used to.

Tie them in the Italian Style like you are supposed to.

If you hate that, then criss-cross them as usual.

They're yours now and you can do what you like!

Lol, I guess I can carve my initials into them too.

After more research I did not exactly find an explanation but I did learn that that lacing style is supposed to look neater. And apparently we have all been tying our shoes wrong because the "normal" way results in a knot that lays crooked across the shoe and tends to loosen all day...eye roll.

But the fix is aparently just a minor change in how you tie to make the knot lay neatly perpendicular to the shoe and not loosen during the day. Can't say I care about the neatness aspect but as someone who wears (cheaper) dress shoes every day, I can attest to the knot loosening issue. If the change fixes that, I can adjust!

Am I supposed to unlace them and relace them the "normal" way? Or is this the way fancy shoes are laced? The internet so far has been surprisingly unhelpful. I have even tried to look hard on fashion sites but it is usually pretty hard to see shoe laces and I think I have seen it both ways but very hard to tell.

Having lived in Europe, I'd say the Euro style of lacing delivers a certain flair to your look. A small detail that few will notice, but nonetheless a nice touch; says that you have broader horizons!

Nice Italian shoes should look like nice Italian shoes.

(once had someone mistake my $475 Pikolino mocs for Cole Haans. I was nice enough to gently correct him; bring him up to speed so to speak)

Last edited:
Lol, I guess I can carve my initials into them too.

After more research I did not exactly find an explanation but I did learn that that lacing style is supposed to look neater. And apparently we have all been tying our shoes wrong because the "normal" way results in a knot that lays crooked across the shoe and tends to loosen all day...eye roll.

But the fix is aparently just a minor change in how you tie to make the knot lay neatly perpendicular to the shoe and not loosen during the day. Can't say I care about the neatness aspect but as someone who wears (cheaper) dress shoes every day, I can attest to the knot loosening issue. If the change fixes that, I can adjust!

I don't have advise on the shoe tie, but I do like that style of tie looks neat and classy.

As for a regular shoe tie, that the knot loosens isn't a problem. You just double knot the bow tie knot and it will never loosen. Also, not an issue to untie the double either. I have to do this with a few pair of shoes all the time. I'm sure you are familiar with the double knot.

So, that Italian style of tie are the ends of the lace just tucked in the shoe? I lived under a rock most of my life I have not seen or heard of that way to tie in my life.

Last edited:
Huh, no wonder I was confused. Apparently I have been knotting my shoes the "fancy" way all my life, even with X crossed laces. They explain the "even" bow vs. crooked starting at about 59 seconds. The only thing I don't do is the straight across laces, and that's because I just have never relaced any of my dress shoes. (I've relaced sneakers, since I wear them enough to break laces, and they always get the X lacing.)

Yes, amazing all the different ways to tie a shoe!! I never would have guessed.

Something odd but one thing I remember as a small person is my sister teaching me to tie shoes. Can't' remember much of those early years but I do that. Lol

I also tie left-handed and that is anything I tie is dome as a lefty. I call myself a right hander though.

delete

Last edited:
That is how my dress shoes were tied...when I worked.

I think it depends on the manufacturer. Mine were from Canada and the UK.

It really is not a big deal. Just lace them up the way you prefer.

I have a pair of Raebocks from Costco that lace up in a similar manner.

Last edited:
Always tied the way the vid suggests. Never had issue with loosening.

Of course I did not wear dress shoes often when I worked and preferred loafer style when I did.

Now Sperry or Rockport are about as dressy as I get.

Information I could have used years before retiring! Is there a correct way to tie sneakers or flip flops? :)

Is there a correct way to tie sneakers or flip flops? :)

Living in Hawaii I keep 3 pair of flip flops (slippahs) - an every day pair, a pair for yardwork, and a "dress" pair for going out to dinner and stuff. They are all the same and get downgraded as they begin to get ratty or as the yardwork pair needs to be thrown out. I'm actually not joking about this.

There are rare occasions that call for nicer shoes in Kona but not many. I wear dress shoes to work but some others wear flip flops.

There actually is a correct way, IMHO, to lace shoes.

Lace them up exactly the way you wish, the way that is easiest and most convenient for you. And the way that it most comfortable on your feet when you go to adjust your shoes.

Ha, I have a closet full of dress shoes, I barely wore them the last years of my career... as I got close to FI, I went pretty casual with brown/black sneakers and don't think I've worn any dress shoes for 2 years now. I've still got a closet full of business/business casual stuff I should purge but know if I do I'll need it the next day.

As to athletic style shoes, I tie the "Better Bow" #3 at: https://www.nike.com/a/how-to-tie-shoelaces It holds great and isn't too difficult to untie (just need to give a loose end a firm yank) and I never get a "flat" anymore despite running/walking 4-12 miles a day.

I was tempted to put this in the BTD thread...

I treated myself to a nice pair of Italian dress shoes. They actually were not that expensive, about $250 on special. They are Bruno Magli brand which I think is one of the more modest priced of the Italian luxury shoe brand.

I have that exact shoe. I always have wanted to go to Italy for a fine Italian shoe. I found one at Nordstroms. (I'm going to Italy anyway though)

Thanks to @braumeister for the shoe lacing site. I'm going to study it & learn to tie "correctly" I like the straight across look. But I have to brush up on how to tie it nice

I still have half a dozen dress shoes in my closet. None are Italian though.

And I never pay attention to see if the bow is nice and straight. I do remember to keep the zipper of my trouser up though. :)

Next time I wear my shoes, will see how hard it is to make the bow looking nice. Funny, I never look at people's shoes to see the bow. Hah!

I changed the tie on a pair of dress shoes today. I like the "straight-line tie" look, so, I did that to one pair.

Back
Top Bottom