Hurricane IAN - Lost our home & belongings

I am terribly sorry for your loss, but glad you all are safe.

As an aside, I just read that a MHP down there has told everyone to leave as they will not rebuild.

My sister lost her home years ago to wildfire. Even though she had very good insurance, rebuilding took a terrible toll on her and their marriage (now divorced, house was one big contributor).

She rented a mobile home for the interim period. They stayed in the rebuilt home for a handful of years, sold it and bought a mobile home in the same small park as she rented.

First, I applaud your decision to walk away. Getting on with living is worth the write off.

While renting look for atypical ways to acquire furniture. My sister found a consignment shop that offered special pricing for fire victims. Your area is more broadly impacted, so that may not be possible.

Finally if you end up in a mobile home again, I advise against leased land. The risks have been increasing. Either pricing going up faster than inflation, or big companies buying out park ownership so they can close it and redevelop for other purposes.

Wishing you the best outcome.
Chris

Well, this is a first for us.... Never have we lost everything at one time, now to figure out what we can do.

We lost our home and belongings in Hurricane Ian...... We were in a 55+ Community made up of 685 RVs and Park Model Mobile Homes..... Most including ourselves have no flood insurance. based on what we know now, we do not expect any insurance payout, and very little, if any FEMA funds...... Market value before the hurricane with our lot was $250K..... We are homeless and looking to purchase another place..... SBA is offering low interest loans, but this is going to be a slow process........I am curious, on opinions/thoughts and tax implications........ I know that we can show our losses on our tax return. We want to get a new home asap, we have the funds in an IRA to pay cash.....

Thoughs/Opinions on next step to getting a new home ??

Thanks
Well if it was me and I was going to be moving but with little to bring, I would look much farther afield. Mexico or Brazil maybe. Preferably places without natural disasters like floods, hurricanes, earthquakes and Wildfires that are also no tax for Americans not working there and with a VLCOL

Back
Top Bottom