Tax question related to purchase of 2nd home

Carpediem

Full time employment: Posting here.
We sold our rental condo in 2023 and bought a second home in another state with the proceeds. We are not renting out the second home. We only use it when we visit our family. (Of course, we're paying a large capital gain tax on the sale of the condo since we're now out of the rental business.)

Does the purchase of this second non-rental home get reported on our tax return? If so, what form is used?

I use TurboTax but I haven't been able to find any information or guidance on this topic.

We sold our rental condo in 2023 and bought a second home in another state with the proceeds. We are not renting out the second home. We only use it when we visit our family. (Of course, we're paying a large capital gain tax on the sale of the condo since we're now out of the rental business.)

Does the purchase of this second non-rental home get reported on our tax return? If so, what form is used?

I use TurboTax but I haven't been able to find any information or guidance on this topic.

No need to report a second home when you buy. You may need to report when you sell, and then only if you have a taxable gain.

If you obtained a mortgage on the second home, interest paid is deductible as it is on a primary home. Same goes for property taxes that you made have paid at the closing to the seller.

No reporting when you buy. If you sell with a gain or are issued a 1099-S after the sale you would likely need to report it [there may be exceptions but I can't think of them at the moment other than if the gain is minimal and you have no need to file otherwise.]

Thank you all! (Fyi, no mortgage on the 2nd home but thanks for the reminder of interest paid.)

Also, when you sell, there is no capital gain exemption like there is when you sell your primary home. It is basically the same as selling a stock when it comes time to report the gains on a tax form. In fact, unless they changed it, TurboTax includes that reporting in the same screens used to report a stock/investment sale.

Back
Top Bottom