Hurricane Matthew

Well, they just postponed the funeral. They'll make a decision Monday on a new date after the storm has passed. Sigh. Must cancel hotel reservations. Must reverse hold on the mail.

I am so sorry you have to go through all of this. Losing someone you love is hard enough to deal with. Sending hugs and prayers. :(

Well, they just postponed the funeral. They'll make a decision Monday on a new date after the storm has passed. Sigh. Must cancel hotel reservations. Must reverse hold on the mail.

Wow, that sucks. Sorry you lost your mom. OTOH, postponing is probably the safest thing for everyone who was planning to attend. If this storm strengthens again and comes your way, it could be ugly.

And at this very moment my mother and sister are about to board a plane for Miami. I cannot convince them this is a bad idea.

This is my first hurricane. I'm in Cocoa, like a block from the river. I'm on the fence about whether to evacuate or not, especially considering the home owner doesn't have any kind of anything to cover up the windows with.

I'm more used to earthquakes. No suspense to get all worked up about.

I have stayed in my home for tropical storms and one category one hurricane anything bigger and I would leave . The worst part are the power outages and the flooding .

Here in Jacksonville, Florida we have had two straight days of rain from a Nor'easter. With Matthew on the way we aren't as worried about the wind as flooding in low lying areas and near the St. Johns River, Intracoastal and at the beaches, especially at high tides. The ground is already saturated and many drain ages ditches and retention ponds already high. Don't know where the extra water will go. I just plan on downloading a bunch of books to my Kindle, making sure it is charged and riding it out on Friday and Saturday. Hope the people at the beaches bailout, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

This is my first hurricane. I'm in Cocoa, like a block from the river. I'm on the fence about whether to evacuate or not, especially considering the home owner doesn't have any kind of anything to cover up the windows with.

I recommend getting off the fence and on the road.

Fill your gas tank before leaving, as traffic will be incredibly slow and no gas on the way.

If you are going to stay, buy bottled water, or fill up jugs with water now, and have canned food to eat in case electricity goes out for days/weeks.

Take water and food, important papers and cash/passport with you if you leave.

Get out!

I'm very sorry about your losing your Mom...it's never easy....

Wise to postpone the service. No way to know how this storm will go over the next few days.

The evacuations in SC have gone surprisingly smoothly thus far, estimated that a quarter million folks have been moved from the coast. Tomorrow will be the folks up the coast, in the Myrtle Beach vicinity. Hope it continues to go well. The fewer people left on the coast, the less strain there is on law enforcement and rescue personnel.

I'll be working at a local emergency operations center for the duration, having spent my first day on the job today. Surprised that there are already folks coming into local shelters when the storm is still a few days away.

I've been through several Cat 2's and one Cat 3 in my life. I was about 40 miles inland for all of them. No way would I stay anywhere near the coast with a Cat 4 or 5 projected to head my way.

Condolences on the loss of your mother.

+1000

Athena53, Navigating the loss of your mother with this hurricane is not easy or pleasant. I'm glad they delayed services. Now I just hope Matthew doesn't loop back.

I've been through several Cat 2's and one Cat 3 in my life. I was about 40 miles inland for all of them. No way would I stay anywhere near the coast with a Cat 4 or 5 projected to head my way.

No way I would stay either Car-Guy. I hope anyone near the coasts or rivers and lakes that may back up and flood gets out and does so in time. There is a point when it's too late.

Surprised that there are already folks coming into local shelters when the storm is still a few days away.
About 10 years ago, we tried to evacuate from a Cat 3 storm heading for Houston when the storm was still 36 to 48 hours out at sea. After 10 to 12 hours sitting on the freeways (and moving about 1/2 mile each hour, at best) we turned around, went home and rode out the storm. (Made it home in ~15 mins) The next storm we left 3 days in advance and made it out. I can understand it.

Last edited:
This is my first hurricane. I'm in Cocoa, like a block from the river. I'm on the fence about whether to evacuate or not, especially considering the home owner doesn't have any kind of anything to cover up the windows with. I'm more used to earthquakes. No suspense to get all worked up about.
Howdy neighbor!
Friend of mine and his wife just built a new house (almost finished) on North Merritt Island and they are staying.......dunno if it is a good idea but they are adults and can make their own decisions.
Our house on Cocoa Beach has a tenant, and we are overseas, so only thing we can do is watch and wait and see.....hopefully I won't have to deal with insurance companies from halfway around the world!:facepalm:

Made it to the opposite coast in a seedy little hotel because everything else that would accept animals is booked.

No one on the block I was on had any inclination to board up their windows. The more I find out about hurricanes the more baffled I am. Maybe if they don't bother, Matthew won't bother them? :angel:

Ah, hurricane parties. As a kid in Central FL in the 60's no one seemed to worry about hurricanes, of course we could not track them as we do now.
The only one I ever fled from was Katrina, we lived on the coast in MS then.
If there is any doubt in your mind GO! Even if you stay, fill your car with gas, the pumps don't work without electricity. Get small bills at the bank, no sense paying $20.00 because you do not have a 5.
Be safe out there

Ah, hurricane parties. As a kid in Central FL in the 60's no one seemed to worry about hurricanes, of course we could not track them as we do now.
The only one I ever fled from was Katrina, we lived on the coast in MS then.
If there is any doubt in your mind GO! Even if you stay, fill your car with gas, the pumps don't work without electricity. Get small bills at the bank, no sense paying $20.00 because you do not have a 5.
Be safe out there

kinda late to be prepping - when I lived in TX all vehicles had at least a half tank in them between june and nov inclusive

prep should be done in May, js

Made it to the opposite coast in a seedy little hotel because everything else that would accept animals is booked.

No one on the block I was on had any inclination to board up their windows. The more I find out about hurricanes the more baffled I am. Maybe if they don't bother, Matthew won't bother them? :angel:

Glad you made it, how long did it take, how was the drive ?

It will be interesting for you, when you return to see what survives, especially without boarded up windows. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom