Where to move - Stuart/Jupiter Florida?

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi All,

Considering moving a bit further south in Florida - currently NW Florida about eight miles from the Gulf, but too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. We're both native to Florida and came back after 20 years in military, and last 20 years in Northern Virginia - to be near family. Lost the family this year.

We have friends in Vero Beach - visit them occasionally. Our sense is that it is quite a bit warmer in the winter, and noticeably cooler in the summer - attributable to Atlantic Ocean. I grew up in St Pete area, but last visits there left us a bit surprised by the traffic and population density.

Not interested in further south than, say, Stuart/Jupiter area, and want to stay Atlantic side.

Our financial situation is pretty good, but not the types to buy the most expensive areas. Up to 1.5-2M or so max. We like the water, but have seen and been through a few hurricane so are cautious. We like HOA protected communities with amenities, might even consider a "fly in" community (long shot). We travel internationally a couple of times a year so access to international airports is a plus (easy with Orlando close).

Could use some opinions on what you think about this area - I am assuming there are a few folks on this forum living that area. I could also use a reference for a very good, not in a hurry, real estate professional in the Stuart-Jupiter area (pm me, please).

As always - thanks!

Jupiter is closer to PB Gardens, WP Beach shopping and restaurants, multiple major medical.
Stuart is slower pace, and can be slightly better prices for homes, taxes.
Both places have great HOA communities.

Last edited:
We spent a week in Stuart/Jensen Beach last February, and are going back for 2+ weeks in February 2024.

While we prefer the Naples area for beaches, it seems there is more value to be had around Stuart (at least based on VRBO prices). Plus, for us, good access to Jupiter for Cardinals spring training games.

We found the whole area (Jensen Beach/Stuart/Fort Pierce) much more laid back, less traffic, easy to get around, with a lot of REASONABLY priced places to eat and drink.

Expect higher prices and more traffic in Jupiter, especially during spring training.

Our sense is that it is quite a bit warmer in the winter, and noticeably cooler in the summer - attributable to Atlantic Ocean.

Not sure you'll find it consistently cooler in the summer. Since you're not in a rush, if I were you, I'd split July between both locations and see what you think.

I'd prefer Jupiter for its amenities but I imagine that makes it a bit pricier, and you may end up far enough inland that the Atlantic effect makes little impact.

I am not native to Florida but have lived in Pre-Disney Orlando before moving to NE Fl for a total of 60 years. Because of the huge influx of people over the years I would hesitate to consider anything south. But that is me and I don't enjoy being in crowds or fighting traffic. You may enjoy the central to south Fl and being surrounded by heavier populations but I think you might be disappointed with the weather during the summer months. If you are not right on the ocean you will not get much of a cooling effect. Best of luck.

Cheers!

Thank you, All, for your thoughts.

Re temps, just compared Vero and Pensacola ... this coming week looks like it's predicted it be 10-15F warmer in Vero. Still pool weather - with a bit of solar heater assistance.

If anyone has a connection to a trustworthy, non-fluffy, full time real estate agent in Stuart area, please drop me a pm? Would like to get some assistance, especially given so many communities are gated in south Florida.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Considering moving a bit further south in Florida - currently NW Florida about eight miles from the Gulf, but too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. We're both native to Florida and came back after 20 years in military, and last 20 years in Northern Virginia - to be near family. Lost the family this year.

We have friends in Vero Beach - visit them occasionally. Our sense is that it is quite a bit warmer in the winter, and noticeably cooler in the summer - attributable to Atlantic Ocean. I grew up in St Pete area, but last visits there left us a bit surprised by the traffic and population density.

Not interested in further south than, say, Stuart/Jupiter area, and want to stay Atlantic side.

Our financial situation is pretty good, but not the types to buy the most expensive areas. Up to 1.5-2M or so max. We like the water, but have seen and been through a few hurricane so are cautious. We like HOA protected communities with amenities, might even consider a "fly in" community (long shot). We travel internationally a couple of times a year so access to international airports is a plus (easy with Orlando close).

Could use some opinions on what you think about this area - I am assuming there are a few folks on this forum living that area. I could also use a reference for a very good, not in a hurry, real estate professional in the Stuart-Jupiter area (pm me, please).

As always - thanks!

We looked at Florida and concluded that it had a lot of pluses but weather wasn't really one of them. Too hot or too cold or both in the same month. We chose Hawaii which with your housing budget would be doable. Fewer hurricanes though no promises. 90% of weather is all but perfect, though YMMV.

The one Florida spot we both liked a lot was St. Augustine, but I'm guessing it's too cold in winter but we didn't try it then. YMMV

Koolau,

Well, yeah!

Lived Oahu - Mililani Town and then Barbers Point 100 yards from kahakai - NOTHING is better than that!

But, we did get island fever since we had also travelled and lived in various mainland places - and, family was mainland.

Sigh - I knew someone would remind me.

Koolau,

Well, yeah!

Lived Oahu - Mililani Town and then Barbers Point 100 yards from kahakai - NOTHING is better than that!

But, we did get island fever since we had also travelled and lived in various mainland places - and, family was mainland.

Sigh - I knew someone would remind me.

How long did it take you to get Island (aka Rock) fever? We never have. We've been here 16 years but got off the Island at least once per year (save 2020 - Covid.) Just KNOWING we can leave seems to cure Rock fever for us.

But, very true about family on the mainland. We've had it pretty good as our family seems to "coalesce" around our summer location on the mainland. Two of our kids have returned to near their (and our) home town and the other travels "home" to see us AND the other set of parents. We are blessed in that regard.

We've never been really big travelers, so I can see FL being a better starting place than HNL. Still, if you can deal with the 5 hour flight to the mainland, you can get anywhere from there.

BUT, I see from your response, you recall what you are now missing, so you have obviously thought this all out very carefully. Good luck on finding the perfect (well after Hawaii:LOL:) place!!

.. this coming week looks like it's predicted it be 10-15F warmer in Vero. Still pool weather - with a bit of solar heater assistance.

Pool weather? Nah, not in december. I'm well south of Vero and haven't had my heater on since before thanksgiving, my pool right now is 76f. Solar might get that to the low 80's but no floridian would put more than a toe in that! I could make it 90 if I wanted with the electric heater, but the weather just isn't up for it.

Pool weather? Nah, not in december. I'm well south of Vero and haven't had my heater on since before thanksgiving, my pool right now is 76f. Solar might get that to the low 80's but no floridian would put more than a toe in that! I could make it 90 if I wanted with the electric heater, but the weather just isn't up for it.

+1

In addition, the pool takes a long while to heat and then loses most or all of it overnight. In Dec/Jan when we’ve had grandchildren visiting, heating the pool meant keeping the pool motor and heater on all night, resulting in an expensive electric bill.

+1

In addition, the pool takes a long while to heat and then loses most or all of it overnight. In Dec/Jan when we’ve had grandchildren visiting, heating the pool meant keeping the pool motor and heater on all night, resulting in an expensive electric bill.

Heh, heh, a couple of layers of ping pong balls (rejects) would insulate and keep your water level more constant as well. I always wanted to jump into a pool when the water was covered in ping pong balls. Does anyone actually do that??:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom