I Got Kicked Out of a FB Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I got kicked out off a Facebook group I was in. Was a large group, about 10K members, with 10 admins. Group was for a TV show I like.

The irony is I don't know for what reason as I was just interacting and not being a smarta$$. I must have said something that rubbed one of the admins the wrong way :popcorn:.

I got kicked out off a Facebook group I was in. Was a large group, about 10K members, with 10 admins. Group was for a TV show I like.

The irony is I don't know for what reason as I was just interacting and not being a smarta$$. I must have said something that rubbed one of the admins the wrong way :popcorn:.

Been there. Permanently banned. Why? A guy (turns out he was an admin) pointed out I'd accidentally broken a minor rule, and I replied with "so?":LOL:

I've been so much worse with no repercussions countless times...

I was asked to beg my way back into Previously.tv forums for being snarky (which I am not), ironic as that site's predecessor was founded for people to snark about reality tv programs. I chose to stay on the site's naughty list instead.

If you have looked hard at what you said, and still can't figure out why it irked somebody, then write it off as pearls before non-pearl-lovers.
Some forums are tougher going than others (e.g., WaPo commenters can get horribly riled up over seemingly nothing).
Some people's perceptual filters - the stuff they've been through, which colors everything they read and hear - are just...strange;
and of course some topics are such hot buttons that more than a few people will read anything you say the wrong way.

Your comments were probably over everybody else's head. So they just assumed "snark" because people do.

I was asked to beg my way back into Previously.tv forums for being snarky (which I am not), ironic as that site's predecessor was founded for people to snark about reality tv programs. I chose to stay on the site's naughty list instead.

Luckily for me, since the show is popular there are plenty of other groups discussing the show. I just joined another group and am posting away there.

Your comments were probably over everybody else's head. So they just assumed "snark" because people do.

Perhaps. It was a show where there is a pretty big cast. Common is people try to match up romantically one character to another.

My post was similar to if I said something like "I'd match up the Professor on Gilligan's Island with Ginger". Nothing more. Nothing crude or offensive in the post. That apparently earned me a ban. Go figure.

Odd, but I'm not going to dwell :popcorn:.

That's what I need... a naughty wife... she would be the best ever. :D

P.S. On that group that easysurfer got booted from the above would probably result in a burning at the stake. :LOL:

Last edited:
I was kicked off a small financial forum for politely correcting a moderator on a factual error they made when commenting on a well known news story about a politician. They said I violated the terms of service but when I contacted them they never responded. I know what term I violated...the mods all lean one way and I stuck up for the wrong party. :LOL:

I can't believe they still let me post here. :LOL:

But just like at a bar, exclaim loudly on the way out, "I've been thrown of out of plenty of places way better than this!"

If you have looked hard at what you said, and still can't figure out why it irked somebody, then write it off as pearls before non-pearl-lovers.
Some forums are tougher going than others (e.g., WaPo commenters can get horribly riled up over seemingly nothing).
Some people's perceptual filters - the stuff they've been through, which colors everything they read and hear - are just...strange;
and of course some topics are such hot buttons that more than a few people will read anything you say the wrong way.
some folks seem to really go to extreme lengths in order to be offended. FB? we don’t participate in that cesspool.

Who was it who said he wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would accept him? (Groucho?)

This and some well-moderated hobby forums are the only ones I spend any time with.

Oh, and the WaPo comments section. I comment on entertainment there all the time and have not been attacked (yet!) The advice-for-the-lovelorn columns are actually entertainment, to me. People go after those poor letter-writers somethin' terrible.

OP , Wear it as a badge of honor ! I have been trying to get banned from er-org for almost 15 years and they won't do it.

Last edited:

So! :D

I can't believe they still let me post here. :LOL:

But just like at a bar, exclaim loudly on the way out, "I've been thrown of out of plenty of places way better than this!"

LOL....and the portions were small too!

one of the cycling forums I frequent has a changing & strict ban hammer mod. Some posters will poke the bear and try to get a time out or ban. It's a badge of honor

I was kicked out of a group when someone posted the question “why do old people go to grocery stores during prime time?” I replied “because I can. I don’t think about the time per say”. They said that was snarky. Seemed a little harsh

This and some well-moderated hobby forums are the only ones I spend any time with.

Oh, and the WaPo comments section. I comment on entertainment there all the time and have not been attacked (yet!) The advice-for-the-lovelorn columns are actually entertainment, to me. People go after those poor letter-writers somethin' terrible.

If you mean the Carolyn Hax column yes that comment section looks like a little group of the same folks. They seem to have fun, which is unusual, as I don't ever not regret clicking into the comments section most anywhere else.

The only reason I still have a FB account is that I’m too lazy to go through the hassle of closing my account. My wife did it years ago although she’d rather I keep my account open even if I’m inactive just so she can occasionally check in on family members I’m leaning towards finally closing the account for good.

I was kicked off a small financial forum for politely correcting a moderator on a factual error they made when commenting on a well known news story about a politician. They said I violated the terms of service but when I contacted them they never responded. I know what term I violated...the mods all lean one way and I stuck up for the wrong party. :LOL:
Yeah, we're long past the point of having any tolerance in political discussions. According to a couple of ex-Facebook employees I know, they are looking at information beyond what's being posted on Facebook. I suspect what happened to the OP and others is just the tip of the iceberg.

I knew my time was short on FB when I waxed poetic about an old hot dog commercial from my youth (...even kids with chicken pox.) It brought back good memories for me! Turns out I poked the wrong bear since that commercial is apparently an example of bullying, and my bringing it up was The Worst Thing Ever. All I did was remember a nice time in my childhood. I had no agenda!

So, I recently joined Reddit to bring out my Dark Side. Ha ha ha. I joined it specifically to freely discuss a few TV shows. It is the wild west, and that's OK. Everyone offends everyone. The TV shows I follow are mostly all in fun and sarcastic discussions. Lots of swearing. Why not? I join in too.

The only problem is I have to come down from the swearing high when I switch to this forum. I have to put my personalities in a box.

OP , Wear it as a badge of honor ! I have been trying to get banned from er-org for almost 15 years and they won't do it.
:LOL:

It can happen... A good friend of mine was kicked off er.org 5 or 6 years ago. I'm not sure what he did/said since I only know "his side" of the story.:cool: I know he still lurks in the shadows even today.

I've never been kicked off any boards (yet) but I'm sure it's been discussed by the mods more than once... One of my favorite past times is being a contrarian on many topics.

Last edited:
That's what I need... a naughty wife... she would be the best ever. :D

P.S. On that group that easysurfer got booted from the above would probably result in a burning at the stake. :LOL:

The naughty list is a lot more fun :LOL:

The only one I got kicked out of was a Grief Recovery website. My wife had passed away some time previously, and I stayed there to give encouragement to newly widowed.
The owner of the site kicked me out because it had been a while since my wife passed away. Many members were shocked at this.
Oh well....

The only one I got kicked out of was a Grief Recovery website. My wife had passed away some time previously, and I stayed there to give encouragement to newly widowed.
The owner of the site kicked me out because it had been a while since my wife passed away. Many members were shocked at this.
Oh well....

Interesting (in a bad way). Glad we don’t get kicked out of er.org just because we’ve been retired too long. Wouldn’t leave many people to help the next generation. Can’t imagine what their thinking is on that one.

I knew my time was short on FB when I waxed poetic about an old hot dog commercial from my youth (...even kids with chicken pox.) It brought back good memories for me! Turns out I poked the wrong bear since that commercial is apparently an example of bullying, and my bringing it up was The Worst Thing Ever. All I did was remember a nice time in my childhood. I had no agenda!

Come on now. Sing it like you mean it.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom