I Got Kicked Out of a FB Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting (in a bad way). Glad we don’t get kicked out of er.org just because we’ve been retired too long. Wouldn’t leave many people to help the next generation. Can’t imagine what their thinking is on that one.
Ban those late retirees! :LOL:

The mods occasionally ban some trolls pretty quickly. They have more info than us. The good news is that those banned get to "Go Traveling" for free!

Last edited:
That really is shocking. I mean, I thought the whole point of such sites is that "grief recovery" has no time limit, and nobody - let alone a grief recovery guru! - is supposed to imply to a bereaved person that "this has gone on long enough." Even when it's a pet that died.

The only one I got kicked out of was a Grief Recovery website. My wife had passed away some time previously, and I stayed there to give encouragement to newly widowed.
The owner of the site kicked me out because it had been a while since my wife passed away. Many members were shocked at this.
Oh well....

I find it's best to stay with human interest stories. I like to be the older person who thinks nowadays is better than when I grew up. Just like here:cool:

If you mean the Carolyn Hax column yes that comment section looks like a little group of the same folks. They seem to have fun, which is unusual, as I don't ever not regret clicking into the comments section most anywhere else.

The internet makes it all to easy to misjudge people since we don't get the visual and verbal clues that are common in face to face communication. We've all used a sarcastic voice from time to time, but here the best we can do is use this - :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
True; I've seen some discussions go from "intriguing" to "Porky" without a break. I assume it's because things actually went from "intriguing" to "nuclear," with several posts quickly deleted.
Ban those late retirees! :LOL:

The mods occasionally ban some trolls pretty quickly. They have more info than us. The good news is that those banned get to "Go Traveling" for free!

I kicked myself off of The Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Friendster, etc. Those places are just toxic cesspools that suck your time and emotions - with no benefit to me whatsoever. Don’t miss ‘em...

I kicked myself off of The Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Friendster, etc. Those places are just toxic cesspools that suck your time and emotions - with no benefit to me whatsoever. Don’t miss ‘em...

+1. They brought out the worst in me. Someday, when I don’t need a professional network, I’ll gladly deep six LinkedIn too.

I agree. The only reason I go to my FB is to see who wants to be my friend and delete them.
Recently the net seems to have expanded to people whose names are in Hindi, Cryilic, etc. I have no idea why.

apart from er i belong to RV, amateur radio and general aviation lists or forums. no instagram, etc. two buddies can’t understand why i haven’t “done” FB. FB is a cesspool.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/395535002

a poll is not needed but apparently FB thinks otherwise.

i do have a twit account i use when we’re in the motorhome for following national weather service, highway conditions and so forth. i’m not sure how it happened but about 10-mins after i created the twit account several of my actual real-life and in in-person friends followed me. i think i have shut that door now but i have 7, count ‘em, 7 followers!!! all of whom haven’t heard a peep, or is that tweet, outta me in 2-yrs.

Last edited:
Stopped doing Facebook years ago. To me a worthless app.

Our paper in Portland just eliminated their comment section for their online service. Reasoning was people were “nasty” and a few people generated over 50% of the comments. Both could be true but for a business touring freedom of speech this looks opposite of that.

I think people are finding out now the selective decision making on what free speech is by some of these outlets.

I've noticed that a number of newspapers no longer allow unlimited comments on various articles. Some papers will allow comments on certain articles for a limited amount of time. I stopped reading the comment section of my local paper years ago - the same old extremist partisans, with the same old insulting comments, and the same old intolerance of anybody who disagrees or thinks differently. They feed off our attention. Starve them.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-newspaper-to-end-comments-section-on-website

The Oregonian also said uncivil conversations online take too many resources to moderate and that it plans to redeploy those journalists for its local newsgathering operation.

Last edited:
I was booted off a very large freshwater fishing and boating forum earlier this year. I guess they don't want to hear the truth. Now, I'm just on a saltwater fishing and boating forum, and I know exactly nothing about fishing of any kind anyway.

I was booted off a very large freshwater fishing and boating forum earlier this year. I guess they don't want to hear the truth. Now, I'm just on a saltwater fishing and boating forum, and I know exactly nothing about fishing of any kind anyway.
The latter group probably takes your comments with a grain of salt.

I've noticed that a number of newspapers no longer allow unlimited comments on various articles. Some papers will allow comments on certain articles for a limited amount of time. I stopped reading the comment section of my local paper years ago - the same old extremist partisans, with the same old insulting comments, and the same old intolerance. They feed off our attention. Starve them.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-newspaper-to-end-comments-section-on-website

I just had to reply to this. Being as we read the same paper I have taken on Wed and Sunday as my favorite day to read the paper. Why? Because the Opinion page is so entertaining. Holy cow. It gets me laughing and all fired up. Just knowing that some people think the way they do just freaks me out. That being said I feel I need to understand the other species.

The irony is I don't know for what reason as I was just interacting and not being a smarta$$. I must have said something that rubbed one of the admins the wrong way :popcorn:.

Exact same thing happened on this forum, to someone I know. Some admins let the awe-inspiring power of being a moderator on the internet go to their head. :LOL:

Exact same thing happened on this forum, to someone I know. Some admins let the awe-inspiring power of being a moderator on the internet go to their head. :LOL:

Sorry, but this is not factual.

I've been around this forum for 17 years and have first-hand knowledge of how the moderation team functions. There are checks and balances in the system so that no admins or mods can arbitrarily ban someone.

Each and every member who has been sent traveling purchased their own ticket through their actions.

Sorry, but this is not factual.

It's 100% factual, but since 'arguing with an admin' is undoubtedly on the list of things that will get you permabanned here, let me just add that I agree with you completely, and this is the last you will hear from me on the matter. :angel:

I did the same thing.

DW still goes there to engage with her granddaughter since she doesn't "visit" anymore except on holidays. She's 24 now...;)

Are you serious? People took offense to that ad? What is the world coming to?

I am 100% serious. It was deemed a "body shaming" post. FB took down my post. And this wasn't recently, this was about 6 years ago.

At that point, I knew there were some serious filters going on, and what I was reading was filtered some specific way. Strange, since I had seen some really offensive stuff on other posts. But apparently the lyric "fat kids" was a super hot button. So the post went into the bit bucket.

I had enough. I reduced my FB usage from a post a day to a post a quarter. I only keep FB to communicate with my niece and keep track of the great niece and nephew.

I am 100% serious. It was deemed a "body shaming" post. FB took down my post. And this wasn't recently, this was about 6 years ago.

At that point, I knew there were some serious filters going on, and what I was reading was filtered some specific way. Strange, since I had seen some really offensive stuff on other posts. But apparently the lyric "fat kids" was a super hot button. So the post went into the bit bucket.

I had enough. I reduced my FB usage from a post a day to a post a quarter. I only keep FB to communicate with my niece and keep track of the great niece and nephew.
It's sad how the world is changing, so many people get offended by so many things now it's becoming ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom