"I love you, man"

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is such a great site. I can't thank everyone enough for your counsel on that "drafty" garage room wall. I'm attaching the before and after pictures (I'm not done yet, expect to finish tomorrow). The fix was so simple, thanks to you: foam board and that miracle product, Liquid Nails. May not be the prettiest, but recall this is a storage room above the garage.
As luck would have it, I needed a cortisone injection in my hip yesterday; my orthopedist told me no running for a couple of days. So at least I wasn't resenting this DIY project since it wasn't keeping me from running, anyway.
I didn't track the time, but I think start to finish for this first round was under 2 hours, including a trip back to Lowes to buy more Liquid Nails. And my prime gauge for successful DIY project: I never uttered the F word.
Bonus: about $50 spent so far, vs the $400 or so the handyman had quoted me.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• big wall.jpg
    big wall.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 57
  • foam board 1.jpg
    foam board 1.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 55
  • foam board 2.jpg
    foam board 2.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 58
Cool.
So nice when folks help each other!

and no more more drafts in the adjoining closet?

Won't know for sure for a while. Mild temps today and forecasted for the next week or so. Later in week the nighttime temperature may be cold enough to check. I strongly suspect when I'm all finished this will indeed do the trick.

I was thinking a cheaper solution like plastic sheet with double-sided tape like the one I just used to winterize all my windows. It saves lots of heating cost and I have been doing it every year. I even reuse the plastics so the only cost is really only the tape.

Looks like a great solution!

If you still have drafts - I'd say use an acrylic based flashing tape or sprayfoam in the perimeter of the material.

Now all you need to do is tighten up on that wiring. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom