Ideas for care package

Mmm Rrr

Recycles dryer sheets
My newly early-retired sister just lost her husband suddenly and completely unexpectedly. They retired to an isolated house in a beautiful mountainous area. She is going to take some time to decide what to do.

Many years ago when another sister's husband left her, we all took turns sending care packages, with small comforting or useful things. Mostly it was to show that we were thinking of her and maybe make her smile a little.

The family is going to do the same thing now. I thought since many of you have lost a spouse or suffered another loss, you could suggest some things that you found comforting or helpful at the time.

Caramel Popcorn (if not diabetic) and a soft cuddly teddy bear are always welcome when I feel deep pain and hurt. Everyone is different, of course. If you have time, maybe plan a visit to see her and provide her company for a short time.

If it's possible you sis will be relocating I wouldn't send "stuff" that takes up space.

Flowers with a nice handwritten note are good...if she is too far from a local florist Sam's and Costco ship amazing flower with or without vases.

If she reads on a Kindle a nice gift card from Amazon with instructions to buy herself some books.

Calling, zooming and texting often would be the best gift IMO. Text a link about a common interest, or a funny story about your kids or grandkids or a fun recipe not just the basic how are you?

Think things that say self-care: A warm cozy robe and slippers, or blanket. A gift basket of her favorite chocolates.

Does she have any pets? A gift for the cat or dog might be a thoughtful way especially if she's the type to be "you really shouldn't have" - no one can say no to a new bed for the dog.

A photo book of the pictures you have of her and her husband together, or places they've been.

She lives in the mountains so does she like hiking? Perhaps a nice walking stick? If she gardens, send her some of her favorite plants that will survive. A nice orchid will last a lot longer than flowers.

And if you're close enough (i mean relationship vs. geography) find a way to go visit, just you, for a few days?

I do like the robe and slippers idea, I might get a gift card from Land's End or such. those items are a matter of personal taste.

Mmm Rr, So sorry for your family's loss. I know that sending meals from local restaurants are always appreciated for such a loss around here but being by herself (I assume no kids present) that can be overkill. Maybe a door dash or Uber eats gift card. Maybe not what you were looking for, but helps during times like this.

Mmm Rr, So sorry for your family's loss. I know that sending meals from local restaurants are always appreciated for such a loss around here but being by herself (I assume no kids present) that can be overkill. Maybe a door dash or Uber eats gift card. Maybe not what you were looking for, but helps during times like this.

Sounds like sister might be too isolated for uber eats, maybe some of those Blue Apron fresh ready to make meals might be useful...

Thanks for all the ideas, please keep them coming!

She was visiting me when it happened, I drove her and her adult daughter the 400 miles home and spent the first week with her. The burial is out a few weeks and we're trying to be sure they aren't alone too much for a while. As much as people complain about the younger generation, the millennials, gen-x-er's, and gen-z-er's are really stepping up.

Meals.
Folks living alone often have trouble cooking as it's not worth the effort, now with the depression/sadness of spouse loss it's even more likely cooking meals is not on the activity list.
How you do that is the catch in this situation.

I am currently visiting a relative, sans DH. Getting to sleep and then back to sleep if I wake ups is very difficult. The only upside is I can run a soothing playlist or listen to an audiobook without waking him.

So, perhaps something audio to listen to when it’s hard to fall, or get back, to sleep. Maybe a device to play them so she isn’t dependent on internet, or even an electrical plug.

Cozy type audio books, guided meditation, soothing music…

So glad she has extended, loving family.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom