Ideas for donating a [giraffe] collection?

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A friend has been collecting giraffes and giraffe-decorated items for decades. Her collection numbers over 5000 items, from tiny thimble-sized items to a metal giraffe over 8 feet tall. These giraffe items are displayed all over their large home. Collectively, they take up a lot of room.

As my friend and her husband are approaching their 80s, they are looking at how/where to donate this collection while keeping it together (this is very important!) where it can be displayed for people to enjoy. They are considering donating a sum of money to go along with the collection for initial installation, upkeep, display costs, etc. (Depending on who gets the collection, they might be able to charge a modest admission fee that would also help with any ongoing expenses.)

They have approached a few places (like a zoo and library) but have not found a suitable recipient yet. As the collection is so large, the area needed to display it is significant and might be an issue.

Since we have so many people here from all sorts of backgrounds with a variety of interests and connections, I'm wondering if you might have some ideas for possible recipients for my friends to consider?

omni

What one person values may not be what others seek. My wife combs thrift and heirloom stores all the time and unfortunately we see collections like this that while meaningful to the original owner, have little value to others.
My stuff that I value today will likely see a similar fate.
I tell my wife all the time: we can sell or throw it away or someone else will.

I only looked quickly but a giraffe rescue mission in one of the giraffes habitat countries might be interested. Some of the animal rescue missions offer tours. The collection might make an interesting display to entertain guests as part of the tour.

Cost to get it there might be prohibitive especially depending on size of some of the pieces.

I don't mean to be disrespectful at all but I think your friends value their collection much higher than most others would. I think most organizations would view this more as a burden.

That said, google found me one organization in the US that might potentially be interested:

https://girafferanch.com/

They are in Florida. I have no connection or contact but this is the kind of place I'd be looking at. I found a few others in Africa but shipping expenses and so forth might be a burden.

I don't think any place would agree to keep all of a 5000 item collection. That's not a reasonable request no matter how much money comes with it. (Well, if it came with millions of dollars that would fund a building and a staff in perpetuity, that would be different.) I think one look at the size of it would deter anyone. Your friend would be better served to consider other solutions.

With eclectic collections like this, generally the person who did the collecting is the only one who values it highly. To everyone else, it looks like a tremendous burden.

I agree. That's a tall order. :cool:

I see what you did there.

I agree - Probably be a lot easier to find several places to take portions of the collection. 5000 items left together would take up a lot of space and probably overwhelm the other collections that a possible recipient could have.

I'd look for a place that would create an exhibit but then offer the items for sale. Not what your friends want, of course, but it would provide funds for the organization and the items would go to people who value them.

These collections do get out of control. I've heard stories of people who start out with a small collection of figurines of owls, elephants, whatever, and every year they get more as gifts and it's hard to turn off the spigot.

while keeping it together (this is very important!) where it can be displayed for people to enjoy

Highly unlikely. Who are these potential people that would enjoy them as the current owners do? A zoo or nature center would want to select a few pieces, but not with any promise to keep them together.

Short of converting their current home into a tourism destination upon their passing, I don't think it's a realistic goal.

If they can shake the "keep it all together" plan, and perhaps then disperse the few favorite pieces among friends and family as mementos, and have the rest scattered wherever they are wanted, or sold.

Donate them to a museum.

Most museums and educational organizations are very picky about what they’ll accept. There are so many folks (I’m one of them!) trying to find homes for their rare, old, “valuable” stuff. It’s very time consuming.

It helps when offering stuff to allow for some items to be sold and/or studied. And it’s really important to have a good idea where everything came from since questionable provenance can cost an institution dearly.

Donate to a children's hospital for giving a gift of love to the many children with health issues.

The House on the Rock? Sorry, I can’t think of very many options to keep the collection together.

No disrespect intended towards the owners, but for me, this seems a case of misdirected priorities. If they would allow the collection to be auctioned or sold, the proceeds could be donated to protect real living/breathing giraffes. Perhaps some of these charitable organizations would be willing to sell the items individually through their own channels as a fund raiser. But with their stipulation, it becomes a “white elephant” that nobody wants. Sometimes it is an inexorable slide from collecting to hoarding.

Hopefully, with the passage of time, they will come to realize that nobody wants their collection, and be open to other positive options. If not, their estate can sell it off (or throw much of it away) after they are gone.

Years ago when my husband was still in commercial building construction, he rented a metal building to a retired gentleman who opened a clown museum for his collection of clowns. I suspect his wife just wanted the collection out of her house. He later closed it because not enough people wanted to pay to see his clowns.

I’m not sure what he did with the collection after that.

As a collector myself, I’ll agree that nobody is going to want their 5,000 giraffes. They should find someone to start selling them off now and save their heirs the trouble. It’s likely that at least some of the items are truly of value so start with those. Once they get down to the stuff of nominal value they can sell them in lots of 10 or 20 pieces at a time.

Had a quilt and some baby clothes. They dated from about 1861. The state museum that covers that type of thing took about a year to decide whether they wanted them.

A doll museum took some 100 year old dolls. Their decision process was faster.

DW still has small bells, shells, spoons and the like. I have some trophies and medals from high school athletic stuff. Nothing stupendous. Kids don't want them.

For someone that has been in retail for the past 26 years, I have seen many collections go unwanted. A collectible or collection is only as valuable as someone is willing to pay for it. A giraffe collection, as impressive as a 5,000 piece collection might be, is a very specific thing. If there goal is really to keep their collection together for others o enjoy, then a sanctuary or place that specializes in giraffe rescue like others have suggested, might be the best fit. I can see a place like that using a collection like theres as a draw to help their own cause.

One thousand years from now, someone is going to excavate an old landfill and wonder about all those giraffes.

My Lladros and other beagle knickknacks will be in another excavation.

Thanks, everyone, for the great replies!

As it so happens, my friends were already planning a visit to Florida in a few weeks. And now they are planning to stop at place that SecondAttempt posted about upthread https://girafferanch.com/.

Perhaps they will find a home for her collection there.

omni

Thanks, everyone, for the great replies!

As it so happens, my friends were already planning a visit to Florida in a few weeks. And now they are planning to stop at place that SecondAttempt posted about upthread https://girafferanch.com/.

Perhaps they will find a home for her collection there.

omni

Hope my quick googling makes a worthy organization and your worthy friends very happy! If they make a connection I'd love to hear about it.

I don't mean to be disrespectful at all but I think your friends value their collection much higher than most others would. I think most organizations would view this more as a burden.

That said, google found me one organization in the US that might potentially be interested:

https://girafferanch.com/

They are in Florida. I have no connection or contact but this is the kind of place I'd be looking at. I found a few others in Africa but shipping expenses and so forth might be a burden.

This sounds like a great idea. With such a large collection some of them can be stored and others displayed for sale to benefit the animals at girafferanch. Those sold could then be replace with those in storage. At least it would benefit real giraffes. I would expect that the collection will otherwise in some combination be divided/parted out/donated/estate sold/garage sold/etc. when they are no longer around to see some good from them.
Many of us have been through the experience of having to deal with what to do with our parent's possessions when they pass. Most items are parted out and sold at an estate sale, donated, or just thrown away. I have been through this 3 times. I still don't know what mom was thinking saving 3 dozen broken flashlights. :(

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom