If Obama Weren't Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
On a public radio show the other night, a guest was saying that if Obama were white, that he would already have easily won the nomination. What do you think?

If Obama weren't running against a Clinton, he would have already won.

While there may be some that might think that way - That seriously did not cross my mind. I would be curious to see what others might say.

If Hillary were a man, Obama would have won by now.

This is total BS. Now commentators are playing the race card even when we have an election where race (and gender) are NOT the issues. This is a shallow and racist suggestion and totally without merit. Commentators are looking for any kind of muck to talk about and manufacture ratings. Shame on them.

On the contrary. I would say the opposite. I think because he is black therefore he is considered the antithesis of the traditional national white male politician. I think that is what has propelled him to the top.

He is well spoken and articulate and does not spew vitriolic rhetoric like other past black presidential candidates (i.e., Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton) who clearly have had an ax to grind.

The odd thing is that many of the old-line black Democrats are backing Hillary.

The Iraq war has made the typical good-ole-boy unpalatable. The time is right for either a female or black president.

On a public radio show the other night, a guest was saying that if Obama were white, that he would already have easily won the nomination. What do you think?

Tell Dan Quayle that.

Didn't Dan Quayle have about the same experience as Obama? If so, isn't Obama the black democratic version of white republican Dan Quayle (although with better speaking abilities)?

Obama is black and H. Clinton is a woman.:confused: To tell you the truth, I hadnt noticed...The next thing your going to tell me is McCain is an angry old man...;)

NPR is off the target here.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/07/us/politics/07dems.html?hp
I'm not going to spend too much time on NPr's comment.
NYT -
" He won the support of many white men, a group that had voted for John Edwards of North Carolina before Mr. Edwards dropped out of the race last week. Mr. Obama seems to have cut the long-established ties between black voters and the Clintons. He made slight inroads among Hispanic voters, a solid part of Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton’s base."

I would be interested in research into the black vote for Obama. If a study could be structured that could determine the rational for his support in the black community. If a large number of black people's reason that he is black; I think it would indicate that efforts should be made to attempt to address this racism. (I'm using the term racism here because if; a person favors (or discrimates against) a person over another solely based upon race; it is racism. Similarly, if a person favors (or discriminates against) a person over another based solely upon their sex; it is sexism. I'm not in favor of either "ism".)

Another question would be: What does it mean to be "Black" in America? Has anyone seen articles on this topic as it relates to Obama's campaign?

I voted for Obama in spute of the fact that he is black. I don't especially care what color a candidate's skin is (might draw the line at jaundiced, I suppose), but I still wonder if anyone but an old white guy can win the national election.

Tell Dan Quayle that.

Didn't Dan Quayle have about the same experience as Obama? If so, isn't Obama the black democratic version of white republican Dan Quayle (although with better speaking abilities)?

LOL, yes Quayle was a one term senator. But better speaking ablity is one of the key assets to the job. It is sort of like saying that Tim McCormick (I believe the first white guy drafted the same year as Michael Jordan) had just as much experience Michael Jordan, but Jordan is more athletic. :D

Obama hasn't made the race about race. But, it appears to be important to the electorate. In Louisiana, 80% of black Democrats voted for Obama, and he consistently does better among black voters than among whites. Clinton does better among whites. I don't see a big difference in their policies concerning minorities. I guess people want a candidate who looks like them.

All 3 of the candidates will suffer from some kind of discrimination. Obama/race Hillary/gender McCain/age . That is how the world works and it wont change in my lifetime.

Well now - since they are both Democarats - even though I'm in Missouri - I'll follow a grand tradition and give whomever wins at the convention two votes - mine and one I've been saving off a tomestone in St Bernard Parish.

heh heh heh - just kidding.

Good one, MickyD..."Hillary is half woman..." That gave me a chuckle for sure....ha ha ha!!!! Gosh, but it is hard on women when they are smart and aggressive (qualities that would be admired in a man)...but that was still funny.

If Obama weren't black he would never even have become a national candidate.

Almost no political experience. No experience running ANYTHING.

I think it is telling that someone with relatively little experience is a clear front-runner for a wide swath of the population. Should tell you how badly the existing crew have effed things up.

Who needs experience when Oprah likes you?

Hillery....
Shouldn't you be out campaigning rather than posting here?

Hillery....
Shouldn't you be out campaigning rather than posting here?

Nah, he is just a conservative Republican who is unhappy that he has no natural candidate in the upcoming Presidential election.

I think it is telling that someone with relatively little experience is a clear front-runner for a wide swath of the population. Should tell you how badly the existing crew have effed things up.

The fact that Dems seem to be chosing OBama over Hillary and Bill speaks volumes. She's trying to sell herself as the experienced candidate but half the Dems seem to feel that if she is the product of experience, they'll go for inexperienced!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom