Votes: 27 22.3%
  • 45-55

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • 55 or older

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • You ask too many questions

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
I was a serious athlete and competed in some of the more esoteric and physically demanding sports like ski orienteering, ski biathlon, marathons, and triathlons. I also did things like Mountain biking competitions all of which were really tough on the VO2 max. I also usually was on a military marksmanship team (usually as the Captain due to my rank) and there are some tough events like run and shoot at distance where heart rate recovery time is critical. The same is true for the Biathlon. My best recovery times were when I was 37. That year was also my best Triathlon and marathon times as well and also when I had my first child. I am still in great shape at 67 nearly where I was in my 40's and 50's. Yes, there is a slight decline and some injuries (lost both menisci in my knees so no more running) which forced some changes but in general I am great. I can still go out and mountain bike 40 km or a long ride like 100 km without training up for it. I go for 10-20 km hikes at least 3 times a week in the nearby forests and hills which is rejuvenating. I live on 1,800 calories a day which is a sign of slower metabolism with aging. More and I gain weight. Mentally, I was at my best at 42 when I earned my PhD.

I developed my own training program during my late 30's and into my 40's to improve my VO2 Max scientifically which was very successful. I was trying to improve my triathlon times as my muscle fiber mix was heavily slow twitch fibers which cannot be changed as it is genetically determined. My lineage favors long slow distance and I can go all day at a slower pace which is great for endurance stuff but bad when you need speed bursts. So that only leaves you with improving your VO2 max to improve speed for a longer period. The cost was developing a much larger heart (megacardia) so I tend to suffer from bradycardia (unusually slow heart rate). I also developed exercise induced arrhythmia which is common in older athletes who trained hard for decades. Both are not a problem but freak physicians out when they see it. Once you explain you are a serious athlete they get it. I also have a Black Belt in Kendo which is another physically demanding sport. I earned that after I turned 50.

My point is that if you stay in shape which is not particularly easy you get benefits. I no longer compete in anything but I do work out roughly 3 hours a day and every other day I do weight lifting to keep the bones in good shape and stay defined. I do the weight routine on a whole body vibration machine which adds a great deal to any workout and especially seems good for repairing arthritis and osteoporosis. My wife, who hates exercise and thinks I am insane, has her own machine and now after 6 weeks has improved dramatically her back pain problems. She is 72 and looks 50. No one here in Hungary believes I an 67. They all think I am in my 50's as well. So, I think it is genetic. My mother at 95 looks 70 ate horribly and never exercised one day in her life.

Since this is specifically about peak bodies I'd say 22. Was playing three hours of pick up basketball a day instead of going to class. Emotionally I'd go mid 40's. When I hit 50 things broke down in a hurry

Quite a few years back, the FAA was in the process of raising the mandatory retirement age for air tranport pilots. Some of the study found transport pilots in early 50's ages made fewest operational errors. Not sure how much of that is aging of the body possibly causing mental decline. 50 the sweet spot ? A 30 year old pilot would certinally have better reflexes / mental stamina , but experience from those few moments of terror during a career kick in. I would think some surgeons might have the same sweet spot.

Quite a few years back, the FAA was in the process of raising the mandatory retirement age for air tranport pilots. Some of the study found transport pilots in early 50's ages made fewest operational errors. Not sure how much of that is aging of the body possibly causing mental decline. 50 the sweet spot ? A 30 year old pilot would certinally have better reflexes / mental stamina , but experience from those few moments of terror during a career kick in. I would think some surgeons might have the same sweet spot.

Well, there are old pilots and bold pilots, there are no old bold pilots.
I spent many years in the Aleutians chartering helicopters and small planes. Young pilots were at times terrifying. Usually did not charter them again, a few times called for replacement pilot.

As for my body age, at 72 I still like it though in the 30ies was faster. Now I make up for lack of speed with cunning and skill.

Back
Top Bottom