In-laws place in FL needs to be emptied

I don't have an answer for you...but I will be moving to that area very soon and your post has given me an idea for how I could make some future spare change on occasional jobs like this on a non-routine basis. thanks!....I wonder where I would advertise....interesting to consider...thanks.

I saw an ad on Nextdoor recently where someone was making appointments for people to come and clear out an estate with everything offered for free. There are also many other sites like Buy Nothing groups, Buy / Sell Trade groups on Facebook and Freecycle type site that night help you clear out the clutter. We've received some really nice items for free ourselves in almost new condition, even a big screen TV.

If they have valuable items you could sell those yourself or hire an estate firm to do it. But as others have said, at least in our area, used furniture usually goes for very little of the original price and the charity shops are very picky about what furniture they will even accept, as donations.

I don't have an answer for you...but I will be moving to that area very soon and your post has given me an idea for how I could make some future spare change on occasional jobs like this on a non-routine basis. thanks!....I wonder where I would advertise....interesting to consider...thanks.

In my area the local Next-door site would be a good place to advertise that type of business. Also you could make up cards or brochures and give to real estate agents. Would be good if you have a pick up truck (and a good back!)

But as others have said, at least in our area, used furniture usually goes for very little of the original price and the charity shops are very picky about what furniture they will even accept, as donations.

I've told this story before...a co-worker left a toxic relationship on short notice. I rented him a spare bedroom for a few weeks until he found an apartment (6 weeks later). He had no furniture as he left everything behind except his clothes. I let him borrow a bed and an extra couch from the basement and he moved to his new place. A week later he went to an estate sale and for $900 bought a full bedroom suite, kitchen table and chairs, couch, love seat, end tables, lamps, etc. He basically bought most of the contents from a house for less than $1000.

He used that stuff for a while and gradually replaced it with stuff he bought on sale or used.

I saw an ad on Nextdoor recently where someone was making appointments for people to come and clear out an estate with everything offered for free. There are also many other sites like Buy Nothing groups, Buy / Sell Trade groups on Facebook and Freecycle type site that night help you clear out the clutter. We've received some really nice items for free ourselves in almost new condition, even a big screen TV.

If they have valuable items you could sell those yourself or hire an estate firm to do it. But as others have said, at least in our area, used furniture usually goes for very little of the original price and the charity shops are very picky about what furniture they will even accept, as donations.

The Salvation Army dropoff I donate to has a sign up saying "No Furniture!", but I still see furniture dropped off there, lol. It's amazing to me that brand new "good" furniture still sells for very high prices, apparently. Niche market, maybe.

I've told this story before...a co-worker left a toxic relationship on short notice. I rented him a spare bedroom for a few weeks until he found an apartment (6 weeks later). He had no furniture as he left everything behind except his clothes. I let him borrow a bed and an extra couch from the basement and he moved to his new place. A week later he went to an estate sale and for $900 bought a full bedroom suite, kitchen table and chairs, couch, love seat, end tables, lamps, etc. He basically bought most of the contents from a house for less than $1000.

He used that stuff for a while and gradually replaced it with stuff he bought on sale or used.

When one of our kids and a roommate moved from a dorm to a first apartment, I got most of what they needed from thrift shops and garage sales for $200, even including small appliances like a microwave. We only bought stuffing type items new to avoid bed bugs, and those we bought from Ikea. Their apartment turned out so cute, now I try to get what I can for us from charity thrift shops as well. It helps out the charity, keeps used furniture out of landfills and is good for our budget.

The Salvation Army dropoff I donate to has a sign up saying "No Furniture!", but I still see furniture dropped off there, lol. It's amazing to me that brand new "good" furniture still sells for very high prices, apparently. Niche market, maybe.

We had a solid wood desk with a small water stain we had to practically beg a charity shop to take. I think they put it out front for $5. $5 for a solid wood desk. You could buy a paperweight from the thrift shop for 50 cents to put over the stain and it would have looked new.

Man, I'm feeling like a dummy. I'm still using a used shop chair that I found in a used furniture place ~35 years ago. I paid $5 for it. I should have held out for $1.:facepalm:

Yup. Sold a Ethan Allen Farmhouse dining table for $140. Cost twenty five hundred. Unless the furniture is top notch, it's dumpster or curb material.

Just let the buyer have everything they want after you get what you want and it'll be a short visit. Otherwise get a dumpster delivered before you arrive.

And since it's FL, if you hire a random someone to pack and clean, assume the job will be done poorly or not at all. They will be late, reschedule the appointment, or not show up at all. Glad you are handling it yourself.

How much of the stuff do you or your relatives really want? My sister and just got through dealing with a 150 year old farmhouse and all of the stuff that went with it. We took the few items that meant something to us and everything else was handled by an Estate Sale Company. We actually made a few $ and they got rid of everything. Pick the few items everyone wants and either have some sell everything for you or sell it with the house.

Consider just you flying down and spending a few days. It really will not take as long as you may think. Line up charities to receive donations of some items and items to be shipped back (ditto on comments about furniture unless they are family pieces). I bet you can pack things in boxes and have either UPS or FedEx stop by the MH to ship.

Is it a nice park? Does the home have any value?

The ultra-low effort solution would be to mail the Park Model's title to the park manager. Tell them you'll pay off any past due lot rent, but after this month, you're done. The park will be annoyed, but they have every incentive to turn and fill it quickly.

My nephew in Gainesville Florida makes a good living cleaning out peoples houses. Most in similar situations to the one you describe. Takes everything to the dump. No sorting, packing or selling.

Google "estate liquidators" in Orlando or wherever and see what they have to offer. They will clean the stuff out, separate personal stuff like photos or documents, sell what they can and donate what they can't to the charity you choose. They you can discuss the financials with them.

We did this with my MIL’s trailer in Tucson. We called around and found a church who was sponsoring refugee families who didn’t even have drinking cups. We gave them everything including a 73 Buick we called “Old Red”. They wanted it all and were happy to get it. It was a lifesaver for us. We did haul a pickup truck for of old papers and personal stuff to the dump there.

And here are the people who want other people's old china! Why not give them something pretty to eat off of.

We did this with my MIL’s trailer in Tucson. We called around and found a church who was sponsoring refugee families who didn’t even have drinking cups. ... They wanted it all and were happy to get it. .

Back
Top Bottom