Incandescent Light Bulbs - Which are going away When?

Just remember, change isn't always good or for the better! :dance: :flowers:

So true! What worries me is that it might be a little harder to read without incandescent bulbs, and I already have difficulties with aging vision.

Right now, I have a recessed light in the ceiling right over my favorite reading chair and it is usually the only light on in the house. The incandescent bulb providing this light right now is a 620 lumen, 65 watt GE indoor floodlight bulb and that works beautifully - - nice and bright light of a pleasing color, and right where I want it.

Hopefully I can find something that will provide equally bright light in a newfangled bulb. So far the 75 watt equivalent 1120 lumen bulb that I bought for a lamp (to try it) isn't terrible, but it is pretty yellowish and not very bright. Nice for mood lighting but nothing I would want to read by. I was surprised to find out its lumen value just now. :mad:

I guess they'll have to drag me, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century. :blush: I am trying and did just get my first smartphone (an iPhone) which is OK.

Hopefully I can find something that will provide equally bright light in a newfangled bulb. So far the 75 watt equivalent 1120 lumen bulb that I bought for a lamp (to try it) isn't terrible, but it is pretty yellowish and not very bright.
I got these
Amazon.com: Full Spectrum Light Bulb - ALZO 27W Compact Fluorescent - Case of 4 - Daylight Balanced 5500K - Pure White Light: Home Improvement
last summer, 4 for $21.47, and I think they are great for reading (maybe too bright for some people):

Product Specifications
Part Number:1069-55-04-FS Weight:3 Pounds Shape:SpiralBulb DetailsType of Bulb:Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Base Type:E26 Luminous Flux:1300 lm Wattage:27 watts Incandescent equivalent:100 watts Color Temperature:5500 Kelvin Color Rendering Index (CRI):91 Average Life:10000 hours Bulb Diameter:2.50 inches Bulb Length:6.5 inches

The first Amazon review is informative. Note the warning about taking a large socket.

I've not had very good luck with the life span on these CFL's and note that several other people here have also been disappointed with CFL's in this regard. Seems like the initial high cost vs extended life doesn't hold water but then I read elsewhere that the cheapie CFL's are the ones that don't last very long. Anybody here have experience with buying the brand name expensive CFL's? Do they indeed last a lot longer than incandescent bulbs and cheapie CFL's?

I got these
Amazon.com: Full Spectrum Light Bulb - ALZO 27W Compact Fluorescent - Case of 4 - Daylight Balanced 5500K - Pure White Light: Home Improvement
last summer, 4 for $21.47, and I think they are great for reading (maybe too bright for some people):

Product Specifications
Part Number:1069-55-04-FS Weight:3 Pounds Shape:SpiralBulb DetailsType of Bulb:Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Base Type:E26 Luminous Flux:1300 lm Wattage:27 watts Incandescent equivalent:100 watts Color Temperature:5500 Kelvin Color Rendering Index (CRI):91 Average Life:10000 hours Bulb Diameter:2.50 inches Bulb Length:6.5 inches

The first Amazon review is informative. Note the warning about taking a large socket.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Too bright for some people sounds great. I'll bookmark this thread and if I continue to have problems with the more usual CFLs (as I suspect), and if I can't find a floodlight bulb that works for me, then I'll order them. :flowers:

Last edited:
Right now, I have a recessed light in the ceiling right over my favorite reading chair and it is usually the only light on in the house.
Whoa, I think you need to get one of these types:

-159871804784260180.jpg

We have two, and I cut mine down a bit so that it can be close to the book.

They come with special full-spectrum fluorescents.

the cheapie CFL's are the ones that don't last very long. Anybody here have experience with buying the brand name expensive CFL's? Do they indeed last a lot longer than incandescent bulbs and cheapie CFL's?
I have some that I bought for $16 when they first came out, and they are still going strong on our ceiling fan (10 years now).

IMG_5697.jpg

I have one 25 watt incandescent in there because the others aren't instant on.

The one's I get for under a dollar last about as long as an incandescent.

The one's in the ceiling track lights are a pain to change, so what I do is use a CFL that has a proven track record, and move it to the ceiling. That is, if a CFL lasts two years, it's probably going to last another 4-8 years.

So true! What worries me is that it might be a little harder to read without incandescent bulbs, and I already have difficulties with aging vision.

I'd second GregLee's recommendation for a full spectrum bulb. Alternatively, stock up on incandescents if they're still available around you.

Lastly, I've mentioned before that I love the detail resolution on the LED spots I have. That may end up being a better solution either overhead or in a reading lamp.

As an aside, DWs uncle is a professional photographer. He uses CFL spots in his softboxes precisely because they don't provide good great contrast. That means they tend to smooth over wrinkles and make people look younger.

.........As an aside, DWs uncle is a professional photographer. He uses CFL spots in his softboxes precisely because they don't provide good great contrast. That means they tend to smooth over wrinkles and make people look younger.

I think I'll put CFLs in my over the medicine cabinet mirror.

Thanks for the ideas, Webster and T-Al. :flowers: Sounds like I have some good alternatives for reading.

I *did* discover one reassuring thing about CFL's. I got the kind that is supposed to go on instantly, and actually it seems to do that. So, I can use that type of bulb for those lights that I only turn on for a moment (like in the hallway, when I am on my way to bed at night, or in my broom closet when I just want it on for a second so I can find my broom). That's another problem solved.

I just use one bulb on a dimmer switch, but the only reason I dim it is to use it as a night light so I don't stumble if I get up at night. I could just buy a night light instead. Or, if I find a good alternative I could do that.

I think I'll put CFLs in my over the medicine cabinet mirror.

What a great idea! I might try that too. I really don't need to see any wrinkles. ;) Also even though they may not be helpful for me when trying to read, still I think they look nice in my Tiffany-style lamps, because they give an old time, yellowish, fainter light that results in a nice old-timey look.

Last edited:
I've not had very good luck with the life span on these CFL's and note that several other people here have also been disappointed with CFL's in this regard. Seems like the initial high cost vs extended life doesn't hold water but then I read elsewhere that the cheapie CFL's are the ones that don't last very long. Anybody here have experience with buying the brand name expensive CFL's? Do they indeed last a lot longer than incandescent bulbs and cheapie CFL's?

Out of about 30 cfls, 27 lasted about 3 years. 12 were replaced at 3 years with LEDs. Of the remaining 15 or so, all are still going strong at 4+ years.

They do better in some situations than others, and it is always possible for any type of light to go bust before it should (and others to last much longer than the average).

We have laid in a supply of the old bulbs, too. In garage or closet, new ones are ok. But in the reading areas of my home, we only like the old ones.

Same here. I got them on e-bay and when they were delivered the UPS guy made a comment about how many light bulbs he's delivering recently. Guess we're not alone ;)

We have LEDs now in recessed cans in the ceiling and use some other low footprint lights, but I want the real deal for reading and at my desk.

I now own 5 LED bulbs that fit in the standard incadescent fittings. One is for a tasklight of my computer area. The other 4 are for a ceiling fan. I'm quite happy by the light that they give off. I'm looking for if/when they come small enough and brighter to fit in the dome light fixtures. The only thing I don't like is knowing the fact that I may expire before them. :(

I did a quick survey when I went to Home Depot. They have a bay of incandescents. I don't know if I missed them before or if they're new. Definitely limited selection, but they are in stock and as cheap as ever. For anyone not looking to make the switch, I'd wager $200 would get you really far on a stockpile.

Been reading this post with great interest. Way back in 1993 I was president of our condo association. In an effort to cut expenses I conntacted Florida Power and Light who recommended that we change all the bulbs in the common lighting fixtures to CFL's. Back then they didn't have the screw-in bulbs but were 4 watt plug-in types and the fixtures had to be retrofitted for these plug in bulbs. That cost us some money. The retrofit plus the CFL cost us a lot but we payed it back in one year with the savings in electricity. Also, we eliminated residents complaining about light bulbs burning out all the time and having maintenance people changing them out.

Say what you want, but they save power and last three or four time longer than regular bulbs. Our local power company does free energy audits and when they do they give you a dozen CFL's just to promote. If you talk to them nicely, they will give you another dozen. Every light in my house is a CFL except for the lighting under kitchen cabinets and on the plant shelves. These are halogen as they are good for 20000 hrs. Don't have to ever worry about getting up 10 ft on a ladder to change these bulbs. In fact, halogen bulbs might replace CFL in the future.

Mercury

CFL Bulbs Have One Hitch: Toxic Mercury

by Elizabeth Shogren

February 15, 2007
javascript:NPR.Player.openPlayer(74....Action.PLAY_NOW, NPR.Player.Type.STORY, '0')

• cflstandard.jpg

General Electric: FAQs on Mercury & Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs

Fact Sheet: Mercury in CFL Bulbs
Energy Star: FAQs on Disposing of CFL Bulbs

In Depth

The Environmental Protection Agency and some large business, including Wal-Mart, are aggressively promoting the sale of compact fluorescent light bulbs as a way to save energy and fight global warming. They want Americans to buy many millions of them over the coming years.
But the bulbs contain small amounts of mercury, a neurotoxin, and the companies and federal government haven't come up with effective ways to get Americans to recycle them.
"The problem with the bulbs is that they'll break before they get to the landfill. They'll break in containers, or they'll break in a dumpster or they'll break in the trucks. Workers may be exposed to very high levels of mercury when that happens," says John Skinner, executive director of the Solid Waste Association of North America, the trade group for the people who handle trash and recycling.
Skinner says when bulbs break near homes, they can contaminate the soil.
Mercury is a potent neurotoxin, and it's especially dangerous for children and fetuses. Most exposure to mercury comes from eating fish contaminated with mercury,

FUD!
Yes, cfls contain trace amounts of mercury. Far less mercury than is contained in thermometers used up until recently.
As for soil contamination, far MORE mercury is produced in coal plants to produce the extra energy incandescent bulbs use. So you actually put less mercury into the general environment by using cfls.

Edit-- From the GE link you provided-
CFLs present an opportunity to prevent mercury emissions from entering the environment because they help to reduce emissions from coal-fired power plants. A coal-fired power plant will emit 13.6 milligrams of mercury to produce electricity required to use an incandescent light bulb, compared to 3.3 milligrams for a CFL.

That said, they do contain a trace amount and should be disposed of properly.

A local charity store is closing - stopped in today and bought a box of lightbulbs, including over 30 25W stove/refrigerator lamps in their cardboard sleeves, a dozen round vanity bulbs, a 75W halogen, 5 plug in halogen desk lamp bulbs in the clamshell packaging, 5 of the big industrial base 3 ways, 3 red 25W sexy time bulbs, a black light, a bug light, a fistfull of candelabra base, and just a bunch of other lights - even 3 normal 75W bulbs. $10 for the box. Leaving a bunch here and taking most up to the darklands where many will go into the rentals over time. Score.

A local charity store is closing - stopped in today and bought a box of lightbulbs, including over 30 25W stove/refrigerator lamps in their cardboard sleeves, a dozen round vanity bulbs, a 75W halogen, 5 plug in halogen desk lamp bulbs in the clamshell packaging, 5 of the big industrial base 3 ways, 3 red 25W sexy time bulbs, a black light, a bug light, a fistfull of candelabra base, and just a bunch of other lights - even 3 normal 75W bulbs. $10 for the box. Leaving a bunch here and taking most up to the darklands where many will go into the rentals over time. Score.
If our house is any indication, there are tens of millions of incandescent bulbs stored in millions of cupboards & drawers throughout the North American continent. It'll take decades to work through the inventory.

This seems sort of like the changeover from R12 to R134. Nobody gets excited about that anymore either.

If our house is any indication, there are tens of millions of incandescent bulbs stored in millions of cupboards & drawers throughout the North American continent. It'll take decades to work through the inventory.

This seems sort of like the changeover from R12 to R134. Nobody gets excited about that anymore either.

I haven't been storing any, other than my usual handful for replacements. Now I'm thinking that I should get a move on... maybe a couple of 4-packs of my 65W floodlights, anyway.

I haven't been storing any, other than my usual handful for replacements. Now I'm thinking that I should get a move on... maybe a couple of 4-packs of my 65W floodlights, anyway.
I wonder what you'd get for a wanted ad on Craigslist...

We were just in Lowe's earlier this week, and they seemed to have an abundance of incandescent bulbs. But from what I have read on this thread, that could end soon.

I'm hoarding incandescent bulbs along with Beanie Babies to finance my nursing home years. :LOL:

FUD!
Yes, cfls contain trace amounts of mercury. Far less mercury than is contained in thermometers used up until recently.
As for soil contamination, far MORE mercury is produced in coal plants to produce the extra energy incandescent bulbs use. So you actually put less mercury into the general environment by using cfls.

Edit-- From the GE link you provided-

That said, they do contain a trace amount and should be disposed of properly.

Few people throw away thermometers frequently. I'm sure very few follow the official disposal methods for CFLs. Most just throw it in the trash.
Here is a novel idea: any store selling CFLs must take back broken, or non functioning ones and dispose of them properly... :D

My experience is that few CFLs make it as long as it claimed on the package.

Generally households have one, maybe two thermometers with mercury, and keep them for years and years.

Back
Top Bottom