ISO: Fluorescent Tube style fixture *without* ballast or tubes

Update:

So I got the fixture up today, the 'cool white' (4000K) dual tubes seem about right for a laundry room, plenty bright, but not too bright, and the light reaches into the cabinets just fine, so I won't need to try moving the fixture further back or anything. All that's left is to touch up the ceiling paint since the old fixture was ~12" diameter, and this is about 5" wide (by 50" long).

As I mentioned, not the prettiest fixture, but just fine for our laundry room and much better than a bare shop-light. DW is happy.

But it was a bit more work and frustration than it could have been. For one thing, the fixture and ballast (which I removed for the LED tubes) was wired for two series FL tubes, and had "shunt" connectors (called "tombstones" because that's what they look like) at each end. A shunt connector connects both pins at the tube end together, so Line/Hot would have gone in on one FL tube end, the other end connected to the end of the 2nd tube (the series connection), and then the end of that 2nd tube goes back to Neutral.

So that's really not so bad, the LED tubes actually come with replacement "tombstones". Great! Until I realize that the fixture used some press fit connection with little plastic legs pushed through holes in the fixture, rather than the more common slide-on type. But the ones that came with the tube included a hole for a screw also, so I had to carefully measure, find a proper size sheet metal screw (fortunately, I've gotten far enough in setting up my workshop after the move to have my collection of misc screws semi-organized), drill a hole and screw in the two on the power side.

And, not all LED tubes are powered the same. These have Hot/Neutral on one end of the tube (one for each of the two pins), and the pins on the other end are no-connects (I just snipped the wires on that end, just so that would be obvious).

Not so bad really, but for the garage and workshop, where I still want the flexibility to choose my own tubes, and am fine with 'bare' (uncovered) tubes, I think I'll just make my own fixtures. Since these tubes come with the tombstones (or I can buy them cheap), I'll just make a simple wood frame, attach some cheap 8" wide aluminum flashing to act as the reflector, wire it to a cord and I'm done - less work and $ than a fixture, and I won't have to take an unused ballast to a recycling center.

-ERD50

I can appreciate this thread. In the kitchen have four 3' fluorescent T8 bulbs in 2 dual tube fixtures. More than a decade ago replaced the old T12 bulbs & ballast and rewired so they could be dimmed, since there was too much light except when when cooking.

I would like to upgrade to LEDs. Three foot bulbs are less common and it has been difficult to determine which if any of the new LED T8 bulbs will work on the same dimmers, etc. I have considered trying ones that work with ballasts but those probably assume the old style ballasts, not a three wire electronic ballast. The fluorescent bulbs are energy efficient enough, given how long they burn each week, but I am tired of replacing bulbs as they do not last very long. The dimming must shorten their life, as they soon begin discoloring and flickering.

I can appreciate this thread. In the kitchen have four 3' fluorescent T8 bulbs in 2 dual tube fixtures. More than a decade ago replaced the old T12 bulbs & ballast and rewired so they could be dimmed, since there was too much light except when when cooking.

I would like to upgrade to LEDs. Three foot bulbs are less common and it has been difficult to determine which if any of the new LED T8 bulbs will work on the same dimmers, etc. I have considered trying ones that work with ballasts but those probably assume the old style ballasts, not a three wire electronic ballast. The fluorescent bulbs are energy efficient enough, given how long they burn each week, but I am tired of replacing bulbs as they do not last very long. The dimming must shorten their life, as they soon begin discoloring and flickering.

Home Depot seems to have a good selection of 3' LED tubes, but not in-store, you need to order and ship to store or home:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lightin...-LED-Tube-Lights/3-ft/N-5yc1vZ2fkol2aZ1z1bay0

The 'toggled' brand I bought have dim-able in bright white and cool white. If your dimmer is rated for LED/CFL, it should work. You can check their site for specific recommendations.

-ERD50

Home Depot seems to have a good selection of 3' LED tubes, but not in-store, you need to order and ship to store or home:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lightin...-LED-Tube-Lights/3-ft/N-5yc1vZ2fkol2aZ1z1bay0

The 'toggled' brand I bought have dim-able in bright white and cool white. If your dimmer is rated for LED/CFL, it should work. You can check their site for specific recommendations.

-ERD50
Thanks. I do need to look into this further because my set of fixtures uses 8 bulbs (not 4) and it is not good to keep going through bulbs containing mercury and the extra care needed for their disposal. I looked through that HD list and did not find any that stated they were compatible with my wall switches. It is on a 3-way switch and there is a separate circuit using a matching style switch. I may also have to replace those to get something to work, but I would like to avoid that since I would be tempted to replace the lights altogether which would lead to an even bigger project.

As a suggestion to others looking to solve the same problem, we have been happy "converting" old florescent fixtures by replacing them with LED recessed "can" lights. We have remodeled a few kitchens and baths over the last decade and appreciate the sleek look of no fixtures. Our electrician can usually install 3-4 in a couple of hours, and we do any drywall/paint touch up ourselves. We have dimmers installed at the same time.

Am considering replacing 8 ft. long tubes in garage with large LED circular fixtures. Hate the hassle of 8 ft. tubes and ballast replacements. We have 5 fixtures and at least one tube is always flickering/out.

I'm not picking out anyone here, but what's with the dimmer switches? In my house, the lights are either on or off. That has always worked well enough for us. Heck, as I get older, I want them brighter not dimmer.

I'm not picking out anyone here, but what's with the dimmer switches? In my house, the lights are either on or off. That has always worked well enough for us. Heck, as I get older, I want them brighter not dimmer.

I like dimmers. Especially for bathrooms or halls where you might turn on late at night. Nice to not be blasted with the full light when all I need is something a bit more than a night light to find my way.

In other areas, I might want a soft light for general work, but then if I'm looking at something closely, I need the brighter light for a better look. But that just seems too bright for regular use.

And I'll repeat a 'trick' if your LED-rated dimmer still isn't playing nice with your LED light - add one regular incandescent to the circuit somewhere (if possible), that added resistive load usually is enough to make the dimmer work well. They actually sell a load resistor to add to the fixture, in case there is no available socket for a standard bulb, but you might as well get some light if you can.

-ERD50

Have a chandelier on a dimmer that needs one incandescent bulb to light, which is disappointing because of not being able to match all the candelabra bulbs. I believe one can use a different wall switch, thought that might also require a new fixture with some kind of smarts (proper driver) built in, I have not tried to research it further.

Regarding dimmers, I find dimmable overhead lighting in the kitchen and eating areas to be very helpful. The amount of light needed when cooking, cleaning, or just casually hanging around or getting something out of the fridge to be quite different. Unlike a closet or bathroom where the desired amount of light about is more consistent.

My electric tooth brush has LEDs, my clock radio has LEDs, my internet radio has LEDs, my outlet mounted battery charger has LEDs, my internet router has LEDs, my modem has LEDs, my computer has LEDs, my son's computer has LEDs, my wireless headphones on the charge has LEDs, my monitor has LEDs, the stove has LEDs, the dishwasher has LEDs, the TVs have LEDS.
Who needs lights, I can walk around my home at 1 am without lights on.
And I have the bruises to prove it!

It's an LED haunted world.

Back
Top Bottom