iPad

Food and water doesn't send electromagnetic emissions through their still-developing skulls.

The jury could be out on whether cell phones harm adult users. But even the most conservative studies advise limiting cell phone use until the users are adults.

My Ipod Touch has lousy wifi connectivity. It will not connect in most parts of my house where my laptop has no problem getting connected. Is the Ipad any better with wifi?

Food and water doesn't send electromagnetic emissions through their still-developing skulls.

The jury could be out on whether cell phones harm adult users. But even the most conservative studies advise limiting cell phone use until the users are adults.

Good point.

My Ipod Touch has lousy wifi connectivity. It will not connect in most parts of my house where my laptop has no problem getting connected. Is the Ipad any better with wifi?

Some people have reported wifi connectivity issues (weak signal, sudden loss of signal, etc...) but I have had no problems whatsoever.

I underestimated the versatility of the iPad. Apparently it is more powerful than I originally thought. Or Norway is overly simplistic...

The prime minister of Norway was among those stranded by the closure of European air space.

Jens Stoltenberg [Prime Minister of Norway], who was in the United States for President Obama's nuclear summit, is running the Norwegian government from the U.S. via his new iPad, press secretary Sindre Fossum Beyer said.

(emphasis mine)

Volcanic ash cloud causes air travel chaos - CNN.com

Spent about 30 minutes with an iPad today at the Apple Store. Really, I am trying very hard to figure out why this device would make sense for me - I am a long term, big Apple fan.

Maybe the electronic book thing is the "killer app" for this device. But I'm not yet feeling the love. Onscreen keyboard does not suit me. The constraints on multitasking are notable. Cut and paste - same clumsy deal as the iPhone. The price point is high if OK but add in even the highly competitive 3G subscription and I'm not so convinced.

I guess I'll stick with a smart phone and a netbook for travel, in addition to my desktop Mac. Maybe the next generation device will lure me in. Or maybe when my Kindle dies. So far, I am impressed by the design, but not by the functionality benefits.

Spent about 30 minutes with an iPad today at the Apple Store. Really, I am trying very hard to figure out why this device would make sense for me - I am a long term, big Apple fan.

Maybe the electronic book thing is the "killer app" for this device. But I'm not yet feeling the love. Onscreen keyboard does not suit me. The constraints on multitasking are notable. Cut and paste - same clumsy deal as the iPhone. The price point is high if OK but add in even the highly competitive 3G subscription and I'm not so convinced.

I guess I'll stick with a smart phone and a netbook for travel, in addition to my desktop Mac. Maybe the next generation device will lure me in. Or maybe when my Kindle dies. So far, I am impressed by the design, but not by the functionality benefits.

I would love to buy one, simply because it looks so pretty and it looks like a lot of fun. But honestly, I don't think I have any excuse to do it. I am already happy with my Kindle for reading, and I don't need to pay for 3G every month. Oddly, the facts that the Kindle fits in my purse and that it is light enough to easily hold in one hand, are a lot more important to me than I would ever have thought.

For example, today after lunch Frank unexpectedly stopped off to get a slow tire leak fixed on his Murano. While he was inside talking to the mechanic, I sat in comfort in the Murano reading. I would never have thought I would need the Kindle just to go to lunch, but when the need arose I had it with me.

But gosh, that gorgeous color touch-screen on the iPad looks magnificent, doesn't it?! Maybe I will buy one if I can justify it to myself. I really don't want to get committed to paying for 3G every month so I'd probably just use wi-fi, same as my laptop.

I finally had a good reason to drive the 150 miles to Fargo so stopped and checked out the iPad. I agree with Rich. It's a very nice machine and the interface is very good. The features I would use the most just don't justify the price.

ipad.png

Well, it turns out I missed having the 3G connectivity on my wifi-only iPad. But since I was not super ecstatic about having another device tied to AT&T's 3G network, I decided to keep my wifi-only iPad and get a mifi 2200 from Verizon. It works great.

Well, it turns out I missed having the 3G connectivity on my wifi-only iPad. But since I was not super ecstatic about having another device tied to AT&T's 3G network, I decided to keep my wifi-only iPad and get a mifi 2200 from Verizon. It works great.
That's funny!

Since we had our other stuff (cell phones, data card) tied to Verizon, we never got an iPhone, and seriously, I wasn't wiling to commit to the subscription and thought it too $$$ anyway since I only cared about data.

So the iPad will be our only device connected to AT&T network. But the data subscription price is right - so OK!

The 3G iPads will start shipping on May 7. I'm still going to wait until after that to order mine - "when the dust settles"

Audrey

Being an iPhone user, I am not a fan of AT&T.
However, I HAD a 3G mobile usb device for my laptop from ATT.
The 3G iPad will let me dump that and save money on the monthly bill AND allow me to do that without a contract.
Win Win for me, but I am looking forward to when other carriers start offering service for the iPhone.
Rumor has it that a Verizon version of the iPhone is due out this fall:)

I am waiting for a Sprint iphone as well.

My 20 y.o. son is anxiously awaiting the delivery of his 3G ipad tomorrow. So much so he keeps updating the shipping website to see where it is. I believe he has too much time on his hands.

His is due tomorrow! I guess that May 7 date is for folks who ordered yesterday.

Audrey

His is due tomorrow! I guess that May 7 date is for folks who ordered yesterday.

Audrey

I think the deadline was April 15th or something like that, IIRC. Ironic it was tax day.....

Deadline to order online and get on 4/30 was 4/18. Orders from 4/19 on have the May 7 date.

I have decided to take the plunge and get one, still sort of on the fence on what size to get. Will try to get one from a store this weekend and if can't will order one.

:blush:
Oops. I kinda accidentally bought one. Actually, it is all Dreamer's fault. I was reading the "What have your read lately" thread
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/what-have-you-read-recently-43066-22.html#post924385
and thought how nice it would be to just be able to click and order.

Have to say that I love it. I'm afraid that my laptop isn't going to get much use from now on, Photoshop and playing with Mathematica, but web surfing will pretty much all be on the iPad. This post however, is from my laptop, because I wanted to post a pic of one of the delightful surprises an iPad.

I was reading "Step on a Crack" and wanted to loop up "skirl". I figured that I would try out the copy and paste feature and Google up the word, so I double clicked on the word and the iPad offered to look it up for me! :smitten:
It found it too, good dictionary.
photo.PNG

I am still learning to touch type on it, but it is much easier than I thought. Its auto-correct feature is great. It seems to know what keys are next to each other, so it makes very astute guesses at what you meant. You do have to be very careful to keep an eye on what it is doing though, or you can introduce a whole new class of typos.

Last edited:
Just a tip: you can take a picture of whatever is currently on your iPad screen by holding down the sleep button and pressing the home button at the same time. You will hear a "click" and you will find the picture of your screen in "photos".

4575368961_04ffb2f90a_o_d.png

Just like that (picture taken on my iPad and posted here from the iPad without help from a laptop). And no, I am not really reading Winnie the Pooh...;)

Also check out the "photogene" app. It's like a mini photoshop app. Great stuff.

How terrific to hear that you all have received, and are enjoying your new iPads! :D They do look nice. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I should not have gone into the Apple Store last week! I was mildly curious about the iPad after reading all the reviews and the posts on this thread, so I went to see it for myself.

An hour later, I was hooked! Gotta have it, I decided, but not exactly an impulse purchase. Certainly not a "need" purchase either, but most definitely on the "wanted" list.

Imagine my surprise when DD called and asked me if I'd like an iPad for a very special Mother's Day gift! I told her it was much too expensive a gift, but she and DH wanted to get it for me...how could I refuse??

A shiny new iPad 3G is on order and is to be delivered by May 15...won't make it in time for Mother's Day, but who cares! I'm as excited as a kid waiting for Christmas morning!

Sounds like it's making a lot of sales to people who get hands-on time with it. Even those who skeptically dismissed it as just as oversized iPhone.

A shiny new iPad 3G is on order and is to be delivered by May 15...won't make it in time for Mother's Day, but who cares! I'm as excited as a kid waiting for Christmas morning!
Happy Mother's Day! What thoughtful kids you have.

Audrey

P.S. I will be ordering mine soon....

Back
Top Bottom