One more reason why I like Apple

DW wanted me to send her my pic of our owl house with a squirrel's tail hanging out the entrance hole to the house. I looked for a while and couldn't find the pic in the Apple photos app.

So I ran a search for "squirrel" on the app. The app found several of my squirrel pics. Including the one that only shows the squirrel's tail. That's impressive - it recognized a squirrel by tail alone.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 7.01.50 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 7.01.50 PM.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
I've had experience with both Apple and MS operating systems but for many years have been happy with PC's especially since I have for the last twenty years or so built my own desktops and it's been great fun doing that.

My mother was gifted an Apple laptop in the early 2010's. By that time my experience with Apple was 20 years in the past but I was able to assist her and began to get familiar with the OS again. However, at one point she began to complain about the keyboard and the touchpad not working right. I thought it was her inexperience with computers and I could tell she was frustrated. As I lived 2000 miles away, I had to wait until one of my visits to figure out what she was doing wrong. When I got there and started working with the laptop, it started acting up for me too! While I've worked on Windows laptops, I had no tools with me to do anything so I figured I'd call the local Apple store to see if they could help. Sorry, sir we don't service that model any more. What?!! it's only five years old. I've never had a laptop not last more than five years. Anyway to make a long story short, after I played around a bit more, I discovered that the problem was a swollen battery that was pushing up against the bottom of the keyboard. Got the battery replaced and that solved the problem. However, I'd had it with Apple and decided to get my mother a refurbished Windows laptop and install remote access software (I think it was Teamviewer) so I could more easily help her with any issues. That worked well.

I'm happy that so many folks love their Apple products, but please realize there are folks that are quite content with their Windows PCs and Android phones and don't care to switch for any number of good reasons.

DW wanted me to send her my pic of our owl house with a squirrel's tail hanging out the entrance hole to the house. I looked for a while and couldn't find the pic in the Apple photos app.

So I ran a search for "squirrel" on the app. The app found several of my squirrel pics. Including the one that only shows the squirrel's tail. That's impressive - it recognized a squirrel by tail alone.

Yes, this is something Pixel phone owners have enjoyed for years. Or anybody that stores their photos in Google Photos cloud.

Think of the power of Google search brought to photos.

Does Apple have anything comparable to Google Lens? You open your camera, point it at something, tap on Google Lens and Google search is invoked whereupon you are shown matching images from the internet with a description of what you are looking at. My wife uses it all the time to identify plants and flowers.

All the Google apps are available for iPhones.

There are also other apps which will identify trees or plants or rocks if you're into that sort of thing.

Only exposure I get to different species of plants, flowers, animals, etc. is Trivia Pursuit, where I guess the answers correctly most of the time.

I'm still a Windows/PC person but Apple is creeping more and more into my life.
[...]
I still haven't pulled the trigger and bought a Mac, though.

Same here. Huge fan of the iPhone and can't really imagine myself switching to Android at this point. But at the same time, I have basically zero interest in switching from Windows to Mac as my desktop OS. Probably because I spent my entire career in tech deeply entrenched in the Windows/PC world. Just feels "right" to me.

.... He had an app on his iPhone that accessed his cable TV subscription. Two clicks on his screen and we were able to mirror the signal through our Apple TV 4K to our 50” plasma. He was ecstatic and I was reminded once again at how Apple has such a deep understanding of user interface. They are in a league by themselves.

Apple may have advantages, but this really isn't a great example.

Android phones cast to TVs very easily as well. And you can do it for fewer $$$, and gain some other flexibility.

A typical brand name Android phone (Samsung A23 - and there are cheaper models) available and a Chromecast will set you back $300 + $30 (or $50 for 4K, but you have the choice).

The lowest cost iPhone I see is the SE @ $430, and cheapest Apple TV is $130.

So $210 to $230 added to get into the game on the Apple side. But it doesn't stop there. The iPhones are locked into the RAM amount at purchase. Both phones above are 64GB, to go to 256 GB on iPhone is an added $150. Just $25 to add a 256 GB SD card to the Android, and you've got 256GB PLUS the original 64GB, A more than $125 delta. And the Android can add 1TB if you want.

The closed architecture of Apple and too much lock-down on the OS is a negative for me, on top of the cost. But I know that lots of people are fine with that. It's just that the casting thing isn't unique/better in anyway than Android (AFAIK).

-ERD50

Apple may have advantages, but this really isn't a great example.

Android phones cast to TVs very easily as well. And you can do it for fewer $$$, and gain some other flexibility.

A typical brand name Android phone (Samsung A23 - and there are cheaper models) available and a Chromecast will set you back $300 + $30 (or $50 for 4K, but you have the choice).

The lowest cost iPhone I see is the SE @ $430, and cheapest Apple TV is $130.

So $210 to $230 added to get into the game on the Apple side. But it doesn't stop there. The iPhones are locked into the RAM amount at purchase. Both phones above are 64GB, to go to 256 GB on iPhone is an added $150. Just $25 to add a 256 GB SD card to the Android, and you've got 256GB PLUS the original 64GB, A more than $125 delta. And the Android can add 1TB if you want.

The closed architecture of Apple and too much lock-down on the OS is a negative for me, on top of the cost. But I know that lots of people are fine with that. It's just that the casting thing isn't unique/better in anyway than Android (AFAIK).

-ERD50
The cost comparison is not relevant because the mirroring of the signal from phone to TV is not the primary purpose. It’s a benefit, in this case unexpected. Whether or not this is a “good example” I can only say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It certainly is for me.

I googled to see how simple it is to mirror a signal as you describe and the first link give me this https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-ente...r-android-device-to-your-tv-heres-what-to-do/
For starters, you'll need an Android device that has mirroring capabilities. Android has had mirror casting since Android 5.0 Lollipop, so unless your device is truly ancient, you're in the clear.

In addition to a compatible Android phone or tablet, you'll also need a Google Chromecast streaming device, like the Chromecast with Google TV HD (with a full-fledged remote) or a TV with built-in Chromecast support, like the Hisense U8H Google TV.

If you don't know whether your TV has Chromecast support, the best way to check is to see if it shows up as an available casting device when you follow either method below.
So, it begins with “you need the right equipment”. Not a surprise, it makes sense, and the same holds true for Apple. But, as I don’t have any of that equipment, it’s not an option for me.

My OP was just to share a positive experience with an Apple product, and nothing has changed.

The cost comparison is not relevant because the mirroring of the signal from phone to TV is not the primary purpose. It’s a benefit, in this case unexpected. Whether or not this is a “good example” I can only say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It certainly is for me. ....

My point was that some people might think this is unique to Apple, and they need to pay Apple prices for this feature. And that's not the case.

.... My OP was just to share a positive experience with an Apple product, and nothing has changed.

But the title "One more reason why I like Apple" would seem to infer "above others". Otherwise, it might just be, "Discovered casting on my Apple devices", or something like that. And the line from your OP seems to reinforce that:

... They are in a league by themselves.

No big deal, I'm just trying to make this clear this isn't an Apple unique feature. And as someone else mentioned, it seems that the Android universe seems to make itself (generally) open to Apple (and specific to this thread, Chromecast does support iOS, just download the app), while Apple (often) seems to shut out Android devices.

It's good we have choices. Pros and cons to each, for each to decide.

-ERD50

My youngest son convinced me to dump my Windows Mobile phone when he heard me grumbling yet again about it….

“Dad, it just works!”

My youngest son convinced me to dump my Windows Mobile phone when he heard me grumbling yet again about it….

“Dad, it just works!”

I'm no fan of Windows either! For phones, tablets, etc - Android. For computing, Linux.

-ERD50

Why do I have such difficulty with getting my icloud email to load/view on my windows pc? Is this something that’s expected to work? On my work laptop the inbox loads but none of the email content loads (it says try again later). On my personal laptop the email inbox won’t even load. Annoying. I read email on my iphone but I print from laptops so that’s why I try to access it there.

I've been using Apple products for years, I own their stock and I'm continually impressed by how well they conduct their business. Even something like their TV production is top notch: "Slow Horses" is one my favorite TV shows but pretty much everything they put out is great. And it's just their side hustle!

Can't agree with any of it

I've used Apple devices.
Everyone loves them. I feel exactly the opposite.

Then I had a chance to work with Apple directly, and they seem aloof, arrogant, and out of touch with reality or anyone with an opinion that suffers from their own, to be frank.

So I don't use any Apple products. I've tried many times, and there is nothing magical about them. My aunt found the iPhone interface difficult, and wanted her Android back..

Strangely, I did buy Apple stock based on a newsletter recommendation a long time ago, held on to it, and it is the largest investment I have now by far, so even though I can't agree with these comments based on my personal experience, my investments are happy to see the returns! 😀

Yep, just jumped into the iOSphere several years ago after being a Windows user all my life and am totally sold on Apple.

I used to enjoy all the tinkering that Windows called for but now…? I don’t have time for that. I just want it to work with no muss and fuss. Apple all the way!

I was actually exposed to the Apple world in my career before I ever got into Windows. I felt Apple was just giving me a distant view of the OS, keeping me on the outside and limiting what I can do, while Windows would allow me to really dig in. As a technical person, that attracted me more to Windows many years ago, and my career took me in the Windows direction also where I barely touched Apple for a couple decades. I've always had Android smartphones but did just receive an Apple iPhone to try out some specific apps. No opinion on that yet.

We do not own any Apple products, except the stock bought at $5 and later at $26.

Grateful for the returns!
Hey Monte, about time you stepped up and bought the products that have made you a ton of money. They won’t give you quite the same joy but on another level they will certainly come close.

I am a big time computer gamer. For that, and for me, PC wins out over Apple.
That said, I use Apple phones, tablets, streaming, and in a few weeks Augmented reality. I recommend their iPhones to anyone that I will be providing tech support for ;)

The are very reliable, easy to get support for, or provide, and IMO just easy to ‘get along with’.

Apple products only for our household! Nothing compares!! I am excited to order the new Vision Pro and be a part of history. We own a lot of Apple stock and that bought our lake home for us 😁 Still have a lot of Apple stock and always will.

Yes they are in a league by themselves. ...

No, they are not! :) (at least not in your example). See next...

... Even down to the little things. Like whenever I type an Apple product like iPhone, etc, the computer capitalizes the word accordingly on its own.

If I enable auto-correct on my Android phone, it does that as well. And with auto-correct OFF, (and I actually do go in and turn it OFF to avoid accepting incorrect substitutions which can lead to embarrassment or confusion), it provides "iPhone" as the spell-check substitution.

I'm sure iPhones are great, but some of you are making the mistake that some of these features are somehow unique to Apple.

-ERD50

I'm happy that so many folks love their Apple products, but please realize there are folks that are quite content with their Windows PCs and Android phones and don't care to switch for any number of good reasons.

My Samsung phones have always worked flawlessly so I've never understood the hype about iPhones. My wife has an iPhone and it works fine but it doesn't do anything that justifies the price premium. Both products have pusses and minuses.

So when someone tells me how much better their Apple product is it sounds just like those who have an EV and just can't grasp why someone would ever choose not to have one.

Yeah, they still haven’t found the missing airplane door!

They did find the “door”. Actually it was an insert that covers a place where a door could go. So, it was supposed to be bolted on permanently, unlike a door that opens and closes.

Back
Top Bottom