iPad

I am surprised. I am still buying my books on Amazon and reading them with the kindle app. I have been disappointed with the iBook Store selection so far.

True. Amazon's selection is much better. However, I buy from the iBook store whenever I can because I prefer the iBook reader - search and dictionary features. Or are these also on the Kindle and I am just overlooking them?

I am surprised. I am still buying my books on Amazon and reading them with the kindle app. I have been disappointed with the iBook Store selection so far.

How many iPads have been sold so far? A lot, I would imagine. :)

True. Amazon's selection is much better. However, I buy from the iBook store whenever I can because I prefer the iBook reader - search and dictionary features. Or are these also on the Kindle and I am just overlooking them?

Yes, the Kindle has search and it has dictionary look up (by putting the cursor on the word). This is nothing new. Don't know about the Kindle For PC reader or the Kindle For iPad reader or the other free downloadable Kindle readers for non-Kindle devices, since they are sort of redheaded stepchildren and aren't full featured (or so I understand? I don't have either).

If these features exist, I must be overlooking them too.

How many iPads have been sold so far? A lot, I would imagine. :)

2+ million units, and that was right after the iPad made its international debut, so most of those must be US units.

OK, so that is an average of 2.5 books per unit, or less if international customers are included, in 65 days. That's more informative (to me). Of course many have had their iPads less than 65 days though.

A bit off topic, but Job's just stated that Apple has paid out over a billion dollars to iPhone app developers, on 5 billion apps downloaded. :eek:

A bit off topic, but Job's just stated that Apple has paid out over a billion dollars to iPhone app developers, on 5 billion apps downloaded. :eek:

How fantastic! Have you seen the iPad app that is like a little piano? I saw an Asian-American kindergartner playing Mozart on that app on an iPad at Best Buy the last time I was there, and was very impressed.

My guess is that they just don't exist on the iPad. You can read Kindle books on a Kindle and have full access to these features.

Yes that what I meant. I don't think those features exist in the iPad's Kindle app.

Yes that what I meant. I don't think those features exist in the iPad's Kindle app.

I guess that this is Amazon's feeble attempt at fighting back while still getting revenue from the books. :LOL: I was surprised to hear that these functions were not included for iPad as I take them for granted on the Kindle. I do like having them but I don't think that their absence would be a "no-go" for me. One can still read the books.

Oh, W2R, just go buy that iPad right now--you know you'll have so much fun with it and you won't be unfaithful to your Kindle, you can still use that for reading.

And in the unrelated kicking-yourself department, Apple cofounder Ron Wayne sold his 10 percent after only 12 days back to the company for $800 in 1976 because he was worried about how they spent money and couldn't handle the risk (that 10% would be worth $23 Billion today):

Jobs, Wozniak and Wayne: Apple's third co-founder sold out early, but says he doesn't second-guess himself - chicagotribune.com

I might do that one of these days, out of the blue, BWE - - :D But you're right - - I would still do my reading solely on the Kindle. The iPad has many other functions though.

Not many people can say they have lost $23 billion without jumping off a cliff in despair. Not sure I would like knowing that, myself.

W2R, if you were to buy an iPad, you could use the Kindle app to access and read all of your purchased Kindle books, and it would keep your bookmarks synched across both devices.>:D

Once you get the iPad you'll tell us how much fun you're having with it and I might go get one too (I already downloaded Angry Birds to DH's iPhone so I can play it; and I keep thinking how much fun it would be on the iPad :) ).

Interesting in the Apple cofounder story to me was that he was the "grown-up"--42, and the only partner with real assets that he worried a creditor could come after if the company defaulted on debts. Jobs at 21 and Woz at 26 were in a better position to just focus on the company. Youth is wonderful :)

W2R, if you were to buy an iPad, you could use the Kindle app to access and read all of your purchased Kindle books, and it would keep your bookmarks synched across both devices.>:D

Very true. :) I have some aging vision problems and it is so much easier for me to read with e-ink (on the Kindle) than it is on an iPad. I doubt I would want to read on the iPad due to eyestrain that I seem to develop rapidly when reading on it, even when dimmed. Plus, I always have my Kindle with me in my purse. So, I can't imagine why I would want to read on the iPad at all, personally. YMMV and probably does. :)

Jobs has unveiled the Iphone 4. front & rear cameras, 5 mega pixel, 32GB memory, 26% slimmer, screen has 960x640 resolution - 326 pixels/inch, greater than the eye can process per Jobs. Mo' betta mo bigger battery Ability to put apps in folders. now with Ibooks! Netflix app for streaming movies. only problem: AT&T only as far as I know....

Just like an Ipad, only more apps, a camera, and a phone. and it fits in your pocket.

Very true. :) I have some aging vision problems and it is so much easier for me to read with e-ink (on the Kindle) than it is on an iPad. I doubt I would want to read on the iPad due to eyestrain that I seem to develop rapidly when reading on it, even when dimmed. Plus, I always have my Kindle with me in my purse. So, I can't imagine why I would want to read on the iPad at all, personally. YMMV and probably does. :)

Yes, text on the Kindle is remarkably clear and sharp isn't it?

Very true. :) I have some aging vision problems and it is so much easier for me to read with e-ink (on the Kindle) than it is on an iPad. I doubt I would want to read on the iPad due to eyestrain that I seem to develop rapidly when reading on it, even when dimmed.

I keep my iPad on the lowest brightness setting at all time. Saves my eyes and the batteries too...

Well - for me today's key unveiling was the improved PDF support!

AppleInsider | Apple grabs 22% share of eBook market, announces PDF support for iBooks

Now I'll be able to move my entire recipe collection over to my iPad, ready to stand up on my kitchen counter!

My iPad cover/holder should arrive Wed, and then I'll really be set.

I'm really impressed with the GPS capability of the iPad. Fast! And I'm a very experienced (> 10 years) Garmin GPS user. Unfortunately, the Garmin GPS software/user-interface has gotten progressively worse over the years, and their devices less responsive. They better watch out! So far the only thing the iPad doesn't do is speak the directions!

Audrey

W2R said:
Very true. :) I have some aging vision problems and it is so much easier for me to read with e-ink (on the Kindle) than it is on an iPad. I doubt I would want to read on the iPad due to eyestrain that I seem to develop rapidly when reading on it, even when dimmed.
I keep my iPad on the lowest brightness setting at all time. Saves my eyes and the batteries too...

I tried that at the store after reading that suggestion on this thread. All it did was make it even HARDER for me to see the letters for some reason. :LOL: How aggravating (oh well). I'd like to prefer the iPad for reading but I really have no choice. Like I said, YMMV and probably will (especially if you don't have my vision problems). :blush: Glad that it works for you!

Well - for me today's key unveiling was the improved PDF support!

From the article,

Jobs also announced that the new iBooks would add support for PDFs, a feature widely requested for its e-book platform.

Do iPads presently have any support for PDF's? The above quote from the article makes it sound like they don't (a pretty shocking omission IMO if true, but I find that hard to believe).

I tried that at the store after reading that suggestion on this thread. All it did was make it even HARDER for me to see the letters for some reason. :LOL: How aggravating (oh well). I'd like to prefer the iPad for reading but I really have no choice. Like I said, YMMV and probably will (especially if you don't have my vision problems). :blush: Glad that it works for you!

I was just pointing out that, even for people with pretty good eye sight, the iPad screen can be too bright.:flowers:

From the article,

Do iPads presently have any support for PDF's? The above quote from the article makes it sound like they don't (a pretty shocking omission IMO if true, but I find that hard to believe).

Yes, you can view PDFs.
My guess is that you will be able to view them in the iBook 'library' now as well.

Back
Top Bottom