iPad

Amazon adds video to some Kindle books so that this content can be viewed on their app.. for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

So either they plan to drop Kindle hardware or come out with hardware which has a color screen and can play back video.

Not necessarily. They may simply be offering books with the goodies the other readers can use, in order for their books to better compete with books from other companies.

I finally used the iPad in the kitchen yesterday, propped upright to display my recipe. The updated iTunes lets you drag over a PDF (drop it on the iTunes app icon) and then it shows up in the "books" section where you can download it to your iPad and use the iBooks app to view it. So now I have my own personal cookbook on my iPad which is very handy! Love it!

Audrey

Or you could install Epicurious, a free app. which apparently has recipes from users who submit them.

There is also a Betty Crocker app. which is popular but I don't know if it's free.

Or you could install Epicurious, a free app. which apparently has recipes from users who submit them.
I already have the Epicurious app and I'm sure I'll use it to enjoy other recipes as it contains great recipes from major cooking magazines. But it doesn't contain my personal recipes, and I'm not really interested in reentering them all on the Epicurious site where I also lose ownership of the content.

Also, having it local to the iPad as a book means I'm not dependent on a working web connection to use my own recipes.

Audrey

I put my recipes in googledocs. These sync to my iPod. This works great, and I make notes or changes as I cook.

Cream*Cheese*Clouds

CREAM*CHEESE*CLOUDS
8*ounces*cream*cheese,*softened
1/2*cup*unsalted*butter,*softened
1/2-3/4*cup*granular*Splenda*or*equivalent*liquid*Splenda*(I*used*24*drops)
1/2*teaspoon*vanilla*or*other*flavoring

Beat*everything*with*an*electric*mixer*until*fluffy.*Drop*by*bite-size*spoonfuls*onto*a*wax*paper-lined*baking*sheet.*Freeze*until*firm,*at*least*1*hour.*Store*in*the*freezer*and*eat*frozen.*
Makes*24*clouds

**I*didn't*think*they*were*quite*sweet*enough*with*1/2*cup*so*I*used*liquid*Splenda*to*equal*3/4*cup*granular.*The*counts*are*based*on*3/4*cup*Splenda.*
NOTE:*You*can*store*these*in*the*refrigerator*and*they*will*hold*their*shape*quite*well*as*long*as*they*are*good*and*cold.

With*granular*Splenda:
Per*Cloud:*70*Calories;*7g*Fat;*1g*Protein;*1g*Carbohydrate;*0g*Dietary*Fiber;*1g*Net*Carb
Per*2*Clouds:*140*Calories;*14g*Fat;*2g*Protein;*2g*Carbohydrate;*0g*Dietary*Fiber;*2g*Net*Carbs*
With*liquid*Splenda:
Per*2*Clouds:*134*Calories;*14g*Fat;*2g*Protein;*.5g*Carbohydrate;*0g*Dietary*Fiber;*.5g*Net*Carbs
Per*4*Clouds:*268*Calories;*29g*Fat;*3g*Protein;*1g*Carbohydrate;*0g*Dietary*Fiber;*1g*Net*Carb

Looks like a bug there (spaces replaced with asterisks). It's what happened when I copy and paste text from a note to the forum. Also, the image in the recipe didn't copy over:

clouds.jpg

BTW, those cream cheese clouds taste just like cheesecake.

Half a pound of cream cheese and half a cup of butter and you were worried about a little sugar? :confused:

They look delicious.

It was great having the iPad while we were running away from Hurricane Alex. John monitored the radar and storm track while we were driving the motorhome, and we were able to make decisions about whether we were far enough north and where the weather looked worse.

Of course, if you had an iPhone, you would have been able to do exactly the same thing - you just would need a magnifying glass. :D

Audrey

Al,
Made Clouds today. Added pecans and mini chocolate chips. Added to the carb count a little, but really tasted good.

Sounds good. I just made some for a July 4 party, but I forgot to put in the vanilla. From licking the bowl, though, they seem good anyway.

Just returned from a 8 week trip. During that period my only method of communication was the IPad. We have the wifi version, and am happy to say that I was able to log on when I wanted without having to actually buy wifi time. It's amazing the number of people who do not lock their networks.

This experience has reinforced to me that the iPad will be the way for us to go in future when we travel. No need to lug a laptop around and I had plenty of time to play games on flights without having to worry about the battery running out.

iPad owners are selfish elites

Not my words - just transcribing. Full article here iPad Owners Are ‘Selfish Elites.’ Critics Are ‘Independent Geeks.’ Discuss. | Epicenter| Wired.com

It’s not exactly official, but should also surprise no one: According to a new study the psychological profile of iPad owners can be summed up as “selfish elites” while have-not critics are “independent geeks.”
./.
Consumer research firm MyType conducted the study, in which opinions of 20,000 people were analyzed between March and May. The firm’s conclusion was that iPad owners tend to be wealthy, sophisticated, highly educated and disproportionately interested in business and finance, while they scored terribly in the areas of altruism and kindness. In other words, “selfish elites.”
They are six times more likely to be “wealthy, well-educated, power-hungry, over-achieving, sophisticated, unkind and non-altruistic 30-50 year olds,” MyType’s Tim Koelkebeck told Wired.com.

Intruiging, I wonder how that would pan out if you compared it to early adopters of any tech product?

It's a good day to be an independent geek. :)

I doubt the independent geeks are any more altruistic or selfless.

Cream*Cheese*Clouds

CREAM*CHEESE*CLOUDS
8*ounces*cream*cheese,*softened
1/2*cup*unsalted*butter,*softened
1/2-3/4*cup*granular*Splenda*or*equivalent*liquid*Splenda*(I*used*24*drops)
1/2*teaspoon*vanilla*or*other*flavoring

Beat*everything*with*an*electric*mixer*until*fluffy.*Drop*by*bite-size*spoonfuls*onto*a*wax*paper-lined*baking*sheet.*Freeze*until*firm,*at*least*1*hour.*Store*in*the*freezer*and*eat*frozen.*
Makes*24*clouds

**I*didn't*think*they*were*quite*sweet*enough*with*1/2*cup*so*I*used*liquid*Splenda*to*equal*3/4*cup*granular.*The*counts*are*based*on*3/4*cup*Splenda.*
NOTE:*You*can*store*these*in*the*refrigerator*and*they*will*hold*their*shape*quite*well*as*long*as*they*are*good*and*cold.

With*granular*Splenda:
Per*Cloud:*70*Calories;*7g*Fat;*1g*Protein;*1g*Carbohydrate;*0g*Dietary*Fiber;*1g*Net*Carb
Per*2*Clouds:*140*Calories;*14g*Fat;*2g*Protein;*2g*Carbohydrate;*0g*Dietary*Fiber;*2g*Net*Carbs*
With*liquid*Splenda:
Per*2*Clouds:*134*Calories;*14g*Fat;*2g*Protein;*.5g*Carbohydrate;*0g*Dietary*Fiber;*.5g*Net*Carbs
Per*4*Clouds:*268*Calories;*29g*Fat;*3g*Protein;*1g*Carbohydrate;*0g*Dietary*Fiber;*1g*Net*Carb

How do these Clouds taste? Do they taste like ice cream? Or cheesecake? The recipe seems very easy to follow so I am going to give this a try. Better not cancel my gym membership?:D

How do these Clouds taste? Do they taste like ice cream? Or cheesecake? The recipe seems very easy to follow so I am going to give this a try. Better not cancel my gym membership?:D

They taste like....asterisks? :LOL:

This is hilarious!

96 percent those most likely to criticize the iPad, on the other hand, don’t even own one, although as geeks, they were slightly more likely to do so than the average population — and far more likely to have an opinion about the device one way or the other (updated). This group tends to be “self-directed young people who look down on conformity and are interested in videogames, computers, electronics, science and the internet,” said Koelkebeck.

One might expect people with an interest in videogames, computers, electronics, science and the internet to be interested in a device that lets you play videogames, functions like a computer, is made of electronics, relies on science and connects to the internet, which suggests there would be a high convert rate if the “have nots” just went to an Apple Store for the afternoon.

---

As to the critics-who-are-a-test-drive-away-from-being-fans, the study found that “bashing the iPad is, in a way, an identity statement for independent geeks,” wrote Koelkebeck.

“As a mainstream, closed-platform device whose major claim to fame is ease of use and sex appeal, the iPad is everything that they are not.”
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Audrey

P.S. Resistance is Futile! (if you have the cash...)

Two weeks ago, I got the AT&T Captivate Android phone. I believe that there will be numerous android pads out by Christmas. I really like the phone and the android operating system. It is based on Linux and I have had no real problems with it. I think the android tablets that come out will have more power and features than the current Ipad. I don't feel the need for the phone connected tablet, but I think a 10", with usb capability would be nice. Have an overseas trip coming up in Nov. maybe there will be something out by then. If not the phone will do.

great for catching up on email, reading books, and surfing the net. Missing video camera and ability to stream music wirelessly. I'm sure version 2 will have these so hold off if you don't have one yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom