iPad

WHOA!! Here's a deal-breaker, for me at least:

Apple's own approach to iPad e-books could confuse - Yahoo! Finance=

The slim, 1.5-pound "tablet" computer unveiled last week will be linked to Apple Inc.'s first e-book store when it goes on sale in a few months. The books, however, will not be compatible with Amazon.com Inc.'s Kindle or with the major alternative e-book system.

Looks like the e-book format for the iPad will be different than for virtually all other devices. :mad:

Looks like the e-book format for the iPad will be different than for virtually all other devices. :mad:

It's not surprising. As for music, movies and TV shows, Apple wants you to get your media from one and only one source: itunes. Using a proprietary format for ebooks will ensure that people buy their ebooks on itunes rather than say Amazon.

However, I am currently using the Kindle app on my iPhone. I wonder if the App will be available on the iPad as well. In that case, it would be easy enough to transfer the books you already bought on Amazon to the iPad.

It's not surprising. As for music, movies and TV shows, Apple wants you to get your media from one and only one source: itunes. Using a proprietary format for ebooks will ensure that people buy their ebooks on itunes rather than say Amazon.

However, I am currently using the Kindle app on my iPhone. I wonder if the App will be available on the iPad as well. In that case, it would be easy enough to transfer the books you already bought on Amazon to the iPad.

Oh!!! That would solve that problem. Thanks. In that case, I am still tempted.... :LOL: Or, I might eventually get a Kindle instead. Or not. There is plenty of time to decide, since I just bought that car and want to space out my purchases a little.

Well that is not quite true as you can download ebooks from some of the "free" ebook web sites as far as I know and none of that is blocked. And nothing keeps you from reading books in PDF format, etc.

Also note that the Kindle ebook format is also different from the rest. So that fragmented format already happened and it always does when a new market develops. And it sounds like the issue is not really the format, but the copy-protection systems that prevent "sharing" of purchased ebooks.

You are not limited to downloading music or videos to an iPod via iTunes. If you already have the music or video on your computer, it's easy to move it to your iPod via iTunes without buying anything. A lot of the music on my iPod comes from CDs I already owned and I put my own videos on my iPod.

But yes, I expect you'll always have a Kindle app available to run on things like iPad, so you're covered. Many of the apps for the iPhone apparently already run on the iPad. It's kind of a match made in heaven for Amazon. They're mainly interested in selling you the ebooks (notice they have free PC software to read their books) and Apple is mainly interested in selling you their hardware.

Audrey

Meh... Adobe's upset that neither Kindle or Apple are sending them checks for each e-book purchased on the device.

If folks don't like whatever Apple eventually ships, there are other choices:

1) Get the Kindle app in the App Store. It reads Amazon's e-books, and the same books that are on a family Kindle can also be read on an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad when the Kindle app is linked to the same Amazon account. (We do this between devices in our family. It works very well.)

2) Get the Stanza app. It reads unencrypted eBook format and other formats, and supports direct downloads and purchases from a whole bunch of e-book publishers, as well as access to thousands of books that have lapsed into the public domain. (I'm working through the literary masterpieces of Edgar Rice Burroughs now. :rolleyes: Like peanuts. Can't read just one...)

Hey, who knows, Adobe might even figure out how to write an app for the Apple gadgets. They are probably just upset right now that Apple doesn't support Carbon/Mac OS 8.5 code on the iPhone OS. They'll figure it out eventually, and probably come up with a way to bill per page turned. (Adobe used to be really good. Then they lost some of their best people, and were just really greedy. Oh, I've got stories...)

Interesting thing is whether Amazon will update the Kindle app. to use the bigger iPad screen.

Or whether they will sell the iPad alongside the Kindle. They move a lot of iPod Touch and other Apple products.

Oh I am sure that Amazon will sell the iPad. They sell all of the other Apple consumer electronics. The Kindle was really so that Amazon could sell eBooks.

My husband gave me some interesting tidbits yesterday. The deal between Amazon and the book publishers is that Amazon gets 50% (70%?) of the ebook price and they set the price. I always wondered about this.

The Apple deal with publishers is that Apple gets 30% of the ebook price and they let the book publisher set the price. One publisher tried to get Amazon to meet the Apple deal and stopped selling through them when they couldn't come to terms.

IMO Apples main interest is in selling the hardware. They don't mind giving the content providers a bigger cut of the pie and aren't interested in driving the final content prices.

I never seriously considered a Kindle because it always seemed like the ebooks were way more expensive than made sense for something that didn't require print and physical distribution and that had much more limited use rights - you can't pass them along to a friend or take to a book exchange when you are done. From what I have read there has been kind of an ongoing "boycott" where Kindle users refuse to buy anything priced over $10 and wait until the price drops before buying.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I can see how publishers might decide to at least meet the Amazon price through the Apple ebook store since they would get a much bigger cut of any sale.

Personally I'm more interested in reading all the great stuff published long enough ago that copyrights are well expired. There is a huge wealth of great literature out there.

Audrey

Hmmm - more developments. It looks like Amazon caved to that publisher (MacMillan) and agreed to the same terms as Apple. Now MacMillan will raise their ebook prices. They feel compelled to "protect" their hardcover book sales - they don't want those wonderful printed hardcover books to go the way of the dinosaur (hope springs eternal). Hmmmm - seems like delaying release of the ebook version would be a smarter approach. Whatever.

Whose move? Amazon and Macmillan vie for position | Jacket Copy | Los Angeles Times

AppleInsider | iPad debut ignites price war between Amazon and publisher Macmillan

Audrey

Is it true they only have a 16 GB hard drive? That needs to be 100Gb or so...........

I think they'll come in 16, 32 and 64. Each step up is an extra $100 though. And 3G will cost another $129.

Google's Chrome Netbooks are going to have 0 GB hard drive. No hard drive at all! People will think it's crazy when they first come out, but "cloud computing" is the way things are moving.

Frankly, anyone who is a long-time consumer of electronics knows that if they are determined to be on the cutting edge of owning a brand new product, they will also pay the "early adopter tax" and serve as beta testers to get the bugs out of the product so the rest of us can buy a cheaper and more reliable version later. :D

I like that term - "early adapter tax" :D I tend to buy technology at the "1 to 2 years old, no one wants this 'ancient' thing" discount.

2 years ago the iPod Touch 32GB sold for $499. Today you can buy it for $269. It's only a matter of time before the iPad price drops too.

I think they'll come in 16, 32 and 64. Each step up is an extra $100 though. And 3G will cost another $129.

Google's Chrome Netbooks are going to have 0 GB hard drive. No hard drive at all! People will think it's crazy when they first come out, but "cloud computing" is the way things are moving.

Not even some local storage for caching?

How are people who travel overseas going to use them. Data roaming is not a viable option.

Are people going to have to collect 3G SIMs?

iPhone can still be used even if there's no data connection.

The books, however, will not be compatible with Amazon.com Inc.'s Kindle or with the major alternative e-book system.
It was in the late 1700's that people realized that standardized interchangeable parts were a good idea. But humans seem to be unable (or unwilling for profit reasons) to understand this. As an example, here are just some of the different types of image files:

ImageFileTypes.jpg

Sony's ereader and the B&N Nook both read the epub format of ebooks. The ipad also reads epub format. I don't see why this should be an issue.
In addition, there is already an app for the iPhone for both Kindle and Nook users.
The Kindle, on the other hand, is not capable of reading the epub format. If any reader is limiting options, it appears to be the Kindle, not the Nook, ipad or sony readers.

-edit-
Aha, it isn't so much that the author is claiming the ipad won't be using epub, it is their guess that apple will be using some form of copy protection that will make it incompatible with other readers.
While I see the concern for people that have other readers already, it really is speculation at this point.

It was in the late 1700's that people realized that standardized interchangeable parts were a good idea. But humans seem to be unable (or unwilling for profit reasons) to understand this. As an example, here are just some of the different types of image files:
Perhaps, but since jpg and pdf are used for almost everything, it doesn't really matter.

And a lot of those listed formats are internal formats for specific doc editing/creation applications that let them store their own specific data. But since these programs import and export several commonly used formats that also doesn't matter - output is easily shared.

Audrey

I just don't see the niche that the ipad would fill between the iphone and a netbook size device. But it's apple so they'll probably make billions on this. And there will undoubtedly be quick imitators that produce a superior quality product (in most regards) for much less money. But they won't be able to sell em like hotcakes a la apple.

I'm pretty sure they'll make billions on it. If they sell 1 iPad for every 10 iPods they'll make a profit of over $1 billion in the first year.

I used to not understand why people would switch to Apple. Then, I was finally convinced to buy an MacBook Pro -- not only does it exceed my expectations, I might never buy a Windows laptop again.

I know a bunch of Windows to Mac converts. I don't know a single Mac to Windows convert. There's definitely more too it than just marketing and hype.

Hmmm - more developments. It looks like Amazon caved to that publisher (MacMillan) and agreed to the same terms as Apple. Now MacMillan will raise their ebook prices. They feel compelled to "protect" their hardcover book sales - they don't want those wonderful printed hardcover books to go the way of the dinosaur (hope springs eternal). Hmmmm - seems like delaying release of the ebook version would be a smarter approach. Whatever.

Whose move? Amazon and Macmillan vie for position | Jacket Copy | Los Angeles Times

AppleInsider | iPad debut ignites price war between Amazon and publisher Macmillan

Audrey

I have been watching this as I was considering buying a Kindle for the convenience. No need to search out, drag along and dispose of books. As it was, I thought the price for new titles was too high as you could not resell the book or even give them away. Now the maximum price will be $15.00 instead of $10.00, at least for Macmillan titles. I decided to forgo the Kindle for now and see how things play out.

Perhaps, but since jpg and pdf are used for almost everything, it doesn't really matter.

Who said you could rain on my rant? ;)

I know a bunch of Windows to Mac converts. I don't know a single Mac to Windows convert. There's definitely more too it than just marketing and hype.

I don't personally know anyone that has switch to/from windows or mac off hand. I guess I just don't keep up with my acquaintances OS habits. :D

I find it hard to believe that there aren't at least a few people I know that have switched from a $500-1200 mac laptop to a netbook or cheap laptop at half the price of the mac equivalent when looking to upgrade their system. When times get tough, people make choices. And for most people, they have grown accustomed to a Windows operating system at school or work. So the switch isn't really hard.

I used to not understand why people would switch to Apple. Then, I was finally convinced to buy an MacBook Pro -- not only does it exceed my expectations, I might never buy a Windows laptop again.

I didn't really switch I just decided that my first at home computer would be a MacBookPro partly to emphasize the difference between work and home and relevant here, the difference between work and retirement.

I don't personally know anyone that has switch to/from windows or mac off hand. I guess I just don't keep up with my acquaintances OS habits. :D

I work with Microsoft technologies so I tend to notice it when coworkers switch. I used to find it quite shocking and didn't get why they were such big Apple fans, but now I can see why.

I find it hard to believe that there aren't at least a few people I know that have switched from a $500-1200 mac laptop to a netbook or cheap laptop at half the price of the mac equivalent when looking to upgrade their system. When times get tough, people make choices. And for most people, they have grown accustomed to a Windows operating system at school or work. So the switch isn't really hard.

I think the PC industry has gotten so competitive that quality has taken a plunge. Two of my last three laptops have had power supply problems within 2 years.

Cheaper isn't always a better financial move and I think my MacBook Pro might actually save me money in the long run. Plus, it runs better and works better than the other laptops I've owned. If my Mac dies tomorrow, than maybe I'll change my mind...but the kool aid it comes with tastes really good ;)

I have been watching this as I was considering buying a Kindle for the convenience. No need to search out, drag along and dispose of books. As it was, I thought the price for new titles was too high as you could not resell the book or even give them away. Now the maximum price will be $15.00 instead of $10.00, at least for Macmillan titles. I decided to forgo the Kindle for now and see how things play out.
That's what has stopped me in my tracks. A brand new release paperback that lists MSRP for $7.99 you can go to Walmart and buy for 30% off - $5.97. The Kindle edition is $6.39, and I can't pass that along to someone else, or trade it in at a used bookstore for another used book.

Now I can see buying the ebook form of references that I might use over and over again - like how-to books and cookbooks and any instructional material. But for 1X or 2X reading? No.

Audrey

Think of the car analogy. People don't buy the cheapest car available, they buy what they really want or as close as they can reasonably afford. If it is something you are driving every day and using for certain functions you want something that you like reasonably well and feel good driving and enjoy using.

I'm not interested in wasting a lot of time messing around with a system that is not really well integrated and seamless across applications (this also means I limit who I will buy software from) and very fully functional right out of the box. I know a lot of PC and Mac owners and frankly, I have never met anyone who switched back to a PC after owning a Mac.

Audrey

P.S. Had a cherry red Lamborghini blast past me on the expressway access road today here is little ole McAllen TX. Wow! What, half million bucks?

That's what has stopped me in my tracks. A brand new release paperback that lists MSRP for $7.99 you can go to Walmart and buy for 30% off - $5.97. The Kindle edition is $6.39, and I can't pass that along to someone else, or trade it in at a used bookstore for another used book.
That could be an issue if you read bestsellers most of the time.

I find that there are a large number of free and almost free selections on the Kindle web site and I love diving in and trying them out. Classics are fun, too. So my Kindle is at least half filled with free stuff.

Latest one was Treasure Island which I read to the grandkids when we visit. They love it, and think my constant interjections to explain the English dialog is very entertaining.

I like Martha's point - if I could at least trade each download, maybe even just 3 times or so, it would be nice.

I am not sure if I would buy a kindle today until I checked out the iPad, but the very small size, easy-on-the-eyes display, weeks long battery life and built-in free air card do make for a pretty nice package.

I maintain that a kindle with a great browser would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom