IRS identity theft PIN letter

ceciledian

Recycles dryer sheets
We had our tax return “stolen” several years back and since then the IRS mails a PIN number every year on January 1 that we need to file. No letter yet this year, presumably due to shutdown. Did anyone who is impacted get their letter yet?

Seems silly to me, why don't they give out a randomly generated 20 character pin that doesn't have to change every year.
Or better let a person pick 10 digits, and then add 10 random characters one to it, to make a 20 character pin, that you could print out and keep with your tax returns and use every year.

Do you have to wait to be a victim before getting a pin, or can you get one first, so you don't become a victim ?

Haven’t seen ours yet. Could be in the mailbox now.

informed delivery shows I'm getting a letter from the IRS today. I hope its my pin and not another notice.

Got my PIN letter a few days ago. Actually seems earlier for me than in the past.

Haven't received our PIN yet. Normally we would have received it by now.

We had a fraudulent return filed several years ago in 2014 using my SS#. For that year, we had to file by paper and it took nearly two years to get our refund. At the time, I seem to recall some communication from the IRS stating that, for the next 3 years, we would be sent a PIN by mail in Dec/Jan, which would be required to e-file. We got the PIN each of the last 3 years, usually in very early Jan. That would have been 2015, 2016, and 2017. So unless something changed, I guess 2018 is the year we go back to e-filing with no PIN. I was sort-of hoping they would continue to send PINs anyway... and maybe it's just delayed by the shutdown. If not, maybe I'll look into "opting in" if I still can.

Obviously, my SS# is floating around the dark web. Not sure why the IRS would assume it's no longer a problem after 3 years. If no PIN is required, there will probably be another fraudulent return filed early this year.

I just signed up for a PIN, got it, Yahooo..... until I read:

"If you file electronically, your tax software or practitioner will tell you where to enter your IP PIN.
NOTE: If your tax return filing status is 'married filing joint' and we assigned both spouses an IP PIN, you must enter each spouse's IP PIN separately."'

They ONLY gave me 1 pin.
So, now I'll set up an account for DW.... to get her IP Pin, otherwise we can't file :facepalm:

Yeah, DW and I each get a PIN each year and I don’t recall it being for only a few years.

We had our tax return “stolen” several years back and since then the IRS mails a PIN number every year on January 1 that we need to file. No letter yet this year, presumably due to shutdown. Did anyone who is impacted get their letter yet?

I received my PIN number from the IRS in the mail today. Maybe yours will be soon.

Received ours today. Despite expecting this notice, I couldn't help feeling a sense of dread when I saw the IRS return address. Then I noticed two letters addressed individually to DW and me so I realized what it was.

Just got mine today. I wasn't really expecting it due to the 3 year limitation I mentioned earlier. But I'm happy to have it continue.

BTW, we file a joint return, but just enter one PIN for me. DW does not get a PIN.

Received ours today. Despite expecting this notice, I couldn't help feeling a sense of dread when I saw the IRS return address. Then I noticed two letters addressed individually to DW and me so I realized what it was.

ha ha ha , so funny because I get the same thoughts...

Only , right now going to the mail box is carefree and happy, as the irs workers who do audits are not working.
No fear of the Spanish Inquisition trained goon squad these days. :dance:

I just got my PIN a few days ago. I think I have been getting it about 7-8 years now.

Back
Top Bottom