Tuna check?

Funny, folks complain about high attorney fees and low consumer reimbursement for class action suits. Now we have a situation where the attorneys work for the state on salary that doesn’t come close to matching private sector wages, they don’t get any share of the award, and low income consumers receive a far more substantial settlement of $150 per family.

I would have expected celebration, not criticism, of this outcome.

Right on. This is decent and not worth our time to complain about it. They're salaried government employees who won a bit of money for low income folks. Love the tuna jokes though

I got my check and look at it like any unexpected gain, with a smile.
When I was young and between decent work, I got a check in the mail for about the same amount from the power company. I had made a $100 deposit to them and they returned it per agreement after 3 years of on time payment, including interest.
I was really broke at the time and that little windfall affected me.

The authorities assert that all 19 chicken producers egged each other on to drive up the price of chicken since at least 2008.

But did they really have to include a bad pun in the write up?

-ERD50

Probably. I mean, if you were the govt. employee who was saddled with writing boring, dull, and usually pointless press releases all day that only two or three people in the world cared about, would you have been able to resist at least one easy pun?

Based on the previous comments on this board I'd wager that most of the members would not have been able to resist.

Probably. I mean, if you were the govt. employee who was saddled with writing boring, dull, and usually pointless press releases all day that only two or three people in the world cared about, would you have been able to resist at least one easy pun?

Based on the previous comments on this board I'd wager that most of the members would not have been able to resist.

Eggsactly

Funny, folks complain about high attorney fees and low consumer reimbursement for class action suits. Now we have a situation where the attorneys work for the state on salary that doesn’t come close to matching private sector wages, they don’t get any share of the award, and low income consumers receive a far more substantial settlement of $150 per family.

I would have expected celebration, not criticism, of this outcome.

You must be new to the internet

I've got to call fowl on this whole line of poultry-based puns.

Well I have not gotten my check yet so I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch I guess.

I'm not sure the lawsuit settlement is all it's cracked up to be, but I would look on the sunny side (up), say "The shell with it," and scramble off to the bank to increase my nest egg.

Last edited:
Bet the tuna companies did not want to pay this money. Sorry, Charlie, Starkist wants tuna that bags checks, not tuna that checks bags.

I'm conflicted on how to feel about this story.

On the one hand, it seems a bit pointless. If something costs too much, don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you to buy canned tuna or chicken. They're certainly not the only products priced as high as the market will bear. Just look at snack foods, for example. Or cable and streaming services. The list goes on.

On the other hand, a win is a win and I don't begrudge the state going for what was apparently an easy target. Limiting the number of recipients so that each one gets a little more makes some sense, although sending checks to voters is a bit of a gimmick.

That was my first thought. Who's holding a gun to your head forcing you to by $10/lb chicken breasts? Majority of these folks will get a check and spend it on $5 cups of coffee.

Tuna/chicken checks

I recieved a check for $120.00 in my husbands name... He passed away in 2017. Where did they get his name, apparently their files are not up to date. I called and they couldn't answer any questions but told me to send his death certificate, copy of the check, my SS# and my ID. :facepalm:Something is fishy with this whole thing

Tuna check

My husband passed 6 yrs ago, took his name off of the bank account. Even if it was on there he would have to sign the back of the check..

Saw this today:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/families-were-cheated-low-income-123000733.html

"To help low-income families impacted by these price gouging scandals, the Attorney General’s Office is sending checks to every Washington household whose income is at or below 175% of the federal poverty level.

Single-person households will receive a $50 check and multi-person households will receive a $120 check. The first round of checks were sent on Dec. 5 and the rest will be sent before Dec. 31. In total, more than 1.2 million Washingtonians, or approximately 15% of the state population, reside in households receiving checks."

I have not received a tuna check yet, although it has only been 4 days. Our household is definitely below 175% of fed poverty level but I have no idea how the state knows this since we don't file state income tax. Maybe through ACA? I don't even know if they know our mailing address at this state level.

Anyone in Washington get a tuna check yet?

So I'm confused. If Big Tuna and Big Chicken did indeed manipulate prices and rip off consumers illegally, why is it the poor that get the benefits? I'm well off but I happen to like tuna. So I probably bought more than the average poor person. I was ripped off more than average. Why do I get little or no compensation?

So I'm confused. If Big Tuna and Big Chicken did indeed manipulate prices and rip off consumers illegally, why is it the poor that get the benefits? I'm well off but I happen to like tuna. So I probably bought more than the average poor person. I was ripped off more than average. Why do I get little or no compensation?

Your profile says you live in Hawaii. The settlement is only for residents of Washington. That’s why you get no compensation.

No.

A rich person made 200k income, and bought 10 cans of tuna
A poor person made 15k income, and bought 2 cans

The poor person was impacted - ripped off - proportionately more.

As in the article, reimbursement was targeted to "those who felt this gouging most severely" and if you don't agree with that, I don't know what else to say.

Your profile says you live in Hawaii. The settlement is only for residents of Washington. That’s why you get no compensation.

Wait till next year and get your check from big Spam.

Back
Top Bottom