IRS Rant

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My dependent daughter is doing study abroad this semester. Prior to leaving she was quite busy getting things in order for her trip. One of the chores on her list was to file her 1040EZ for 2011. Somehow in the process she discovered her 1040EZ for 2010 was never filed. She had used the free turbotax online edition since she was away at school and e-filed. She missed the rejection notice email stating that her return was not accepted by IRS. She never noticed that the tax payment was never deducted from her account. She re-filed and paid for 2010, filed properly for 2011 and left for study abroad. She did get the confirmation for 2011.

After leaving for school, she got an Internal Investigation Letter from IRS stating the 2010 taxes were never filed. Her 2010 income was based on a summer intern position at IRS. They take employee filing irregularities VERY seriously (unless your name is Geithner). So now we are pursuing straightening this all out with duplicate groups at IRS while she is away at school. These groups apparently do not communicate with each other.

We believe everything is in order at this point except IRS has not acknowledged that the returns are filed and paid. Bottom line there are several Federal employees on DD's trail for filing 2010 taxes in Jan 2012 and interest and penalties are accruing.
Her tax liability for 2010.......$6.00
Penalty is $.32 and accumulating.

Last edited:
She should write a letter to Geithner and have him straighten this all out.

I know you don't expect sympathy from us inmates when the prison guards are administering a beat-down to one of their own junior members.

Oh....did I say that part out loud?

That must be paid!

We need you to mail in payment via USPS even though cost of postage exceeds the penalty. :D It will create jobs and/or prevent layoffs, i.e. envelop, check, stamp, ink pens, mail room person, irs agent. We all depend on you. :rolleyes:

Now you have experienced IRS computer HE@@....

It is not pretty.... and usually you spend a lot more in time and trouble trying to get a real person to fix the problem...

If you have confirmation that it is paid... send it in... if not, just send in the tax and penalty and be done with it...

Paying less than $7 to get the IRS off someone's back is worth the money... your time is worth a LOT more than that...

Several years ago I got a notice from IRS that I had an error on my taxes that resulted in a penalty and interest...and counting until they received payment. I was traveling in Alaska and their letter took well over a month to be forwarded to me. I called them and asked for the exact amount I owed, given the delay in my receiving their letter. The IRS agent told me that it was not possible to calculate the amount because it would continue to increase until they received payment. I don't recall the exact amount due, but it was $5 or $6. I sent them a check for $10 with instructions to apply it to my account and keep the rest. Never heard from them regarding the overpayment.

....Her 2010 income was based on a summer intern position at IRS. ....Bottom line there are several Federal employees on DD's trail for filing 2010 taxes in Jan 2012 and interest and penalties are accruing....

I have to say I'm enjoying the little touch irony here :).

Send the payment in cash, that will really confuse them.

Perhaps I've been lucky, but once a questioned matter finally reaches an actual IRS person, they seem to correct it per regulations, which IMO is fair. Before that point though their computers seem to overreact. So, for example, if one misenters a 1099 as $4500 when it should have been $5400, their computer will assume you owe tax on the full $5400. After your reply gets to a real IRS person they will realize the correct difference is only $900.

Her tax liability for 2010.......$6.00

This reminds me of my freshmen year in college when I received a bill every month stating I owed 17 cents for a long distance call... which I threw away thinking it was a mistake because we had long distance turned off at the dorm room.

At the end of the spring semester my grades were held and after some calling around I finally got "we can't release your grades because you have a hold on your account, a bill for $0.17"

(it gets better)

So I walked down to the registrars office before driving home after finals and threw a shiny quarter on the desk...

"I'm here to pay off this mystery bill."

"Sir, I need exact change or check..."

"Keep the rest... maybe those extra 8 cents will cover some of the overhead cost you spent printing and mailing me with bill for the last 8 months."

:facepalm:

Last edited:
Send the payment in cash, that will really confuse them.

I'd send 633 pennies, cause they'd likely count it twice to make sure things were squared away... and just in case they didn't, a few years later I'd demand one of them back by filing an overpayment notice of $0.01 :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom