Katrina Refugee Camps--Where?

BigMoneyJim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There are a lot of people that used to live in NOLA that will be elsewhere for a while. I just read mention that some have been moved as far as Michigan. And of course we've heard of Houston and Dallas.

Does anyone know how to find if there are NOLA refugees in your local area? I looked at Red Cross's site and did a Google search but haven't come up with anything yet.

I might volunteer if I find there are refugees in my area (Indianapolis).

I got an e-mail from the ONE organization (Bono/Liveaid group) that was asking people to let them know if they could help. Maybe they are putting together some kind of database.

I heard on the radio today that MoveOn.org had launched a Web site to connect anyone willing to provide housing to the people left homeless by Hurricane Katrina.

http://www.hurricanehousing.org/

Not exactly what you asked for, BMJ, but I'm posting it in case others are interested.

flipstress said:
I heard on the radio today that MoveOn.org had launched a Web site to connect anyone willing to provide housing to the people left homeless by Hurricane Katrina.

http://www.hurricanehousing.org/

Not exactly what you asked for, BMJ, but I'm posting it in case others are interested.

I heard mention of a similar action on the news today. I briefly considered it, but inviting a stranger into my home is quite the scary idea. After thinking about it some I checked into my company's notes on the disaster and might consider housing a displaced employee of my company if we set up a way to do that....hey maybe I can set up a website and coordinate that on my intranet.....Think I found something to do this weekend. hurricanehousing.(myCompany'sIntranet).com .

FYI, looks like my local paper is the best source so far for where refugees are being housed in my area.

If I follow through with my corporate hurricane housing idea does anyone know what things I should worry about? Like what will people need to get food and other aid from ARC or other needs? I heard a tale of ARC refusing help to people who can't provide proof of residency. Then again if this is an intra-company project offering housing perhaps we won't need public aid. I haven't really thought this through...I just know a lot of people don't live in New Orleans anymore.

In our area the ARC will not accept volunteers who would provide housing due to liability concerns. You might ask them about that :-\

This is just off the cuff, but housing displaced employees of your business seems like a great idea and not overly complicated to effecuate. Maybe get a group together from work and brainstorm about it? Your company may be able to help employees deal with the red cross as it could vouch for the fact the employees are displaced from the gulf coast area.

Liability concerns? I would take the risk.

Phoenix is supposed to be taking some as early as tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom