Keurig individual cup coffee maker? Anyone?

I use a Melitta manual coffeemaker. It is just a carafe topped with a funnel that contains filter and grounds. Always use freshly ground Columbian Supremo beans and sometimes Community to remind me of Louisiana.

Just what I was gonna say...much cheaper too. I have the $3.00 jobber (the first one) Kinda how they make coffee in Brazil. (not a cloth bag, but, pretty much the same principle)

Attachments

• 1 cup coffee maker.jpg
    1 cup coffee maker.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 239
  • coffee maker 2.jpg
    coffee maker 2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 236
  • coffee maker 3.jpg
    coffee maker 3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 236
My inner cheapskate won't allow me to go the K-cup route, Especially since I drink a whole 12-cup pot every day all by myself.

We get free coffee at work, and it's as good as what we pay for it.

The work coffee is manufactured synthetically at Dow Chemical from tar-sand residue. Then it's brewed once a year (or however long it lasts) in million gallon vats before it is shipped to our facility through a lead pipe. We get the coffee out of the spigot and heat it directly in asbestos lined containers using a welding torch. Needless to say it's really bad, but hey - It's free so drink up.

I bought the Sam's Club Keurig machine a month or two ago. It comes with 60 K-cups, and the "My K-cup" that you can fill with your own coffee. I am the only coffee drinker in my house, and I value my sleep far too much to get up 10 minutes early to make coffee. I usually sleep in until the last minute, then run out the door. :whistle: The Keurig has been awesome because it is so fast, and makes just one cup. I prefer to use the refillable k-cup with my own coffee. Cleanup is very brief (1 minute?), and I'm not wasting a whole pot of coffee worth of beans for 1 cup of coffee. We have probably 50 k-cups left of the 60 that it came with, and the bag of coffee beans I buy at Sam's Club last much longer since I'm using one cup's worth of beans at a time, instead of a whole pot worth, and throwing away the unused coffee.

If it broke today, I'd get it warrantied. If it broke the day after the warranty expired, I'd buy another one. :)

Saved me a lot of writing -- I also got the Sam's Keurig machine with 60 K cups, and have used both the supplied cups and made my own coffee to much satisfaction. I am only one, and even then, I have coffee only once or twice a week, and even then, only one cup, perhaps two. But when I want it, I want it! This machine is perfect for me, and I will also use it for Tea and hot chocolate eventually. None of the three suppied flavors in K-cups was as good as fresh ground via the adapter, but it's great to have both options, especially when wanting minimal hassle on a bleary eyed morning.

I suppose those posting here would be horrified to know that I recently donated my Mr. Coffee to GoodWill, and I am using a Maxwell House coffee bag in one cup of microwaved water, for my allotted one cup of coffee these days.... honestly, with a shot of fresh creamer this coffee isn't that bad and it opens my eyes. Cleanup is non-existent.

Thanks for bringing this up. Those are suprisingly good - we bring them camping - so easy - boil water - and voila - add cocoa or coffee "bag" (sans the creamer!) and breakfast drink is ready in a min!

As for the Keurigs - won't turn a cup down from someplace else, but they just seem soooo wasteful (LBYM and "green" perspective)

I don't find it all that difficult to make a pot of coffee in the "morning" (around Noon to 1pm) in our drip machine. The best coffee in the world IMHO costs less than 50cents for a full pot. If we each drink a cup, fine, got our money's worth in total enjoyment of a superior product, a superb experience. If we want refills, since we poured the remainder of the pot in the insulated carafe, it'll stay warm all day, but not get burned up sitting on a heating pad. So a cup is max 50 cents if just I have a cup out of a full pot. It may be less but I'm thinking I get at least 20 pots out of a bag of coffee beans that cost about 8 bucks on sale. If I'm wrong it's even cheaper. If some gets poured down the sink, so what? It's just really great coffee, and I can pick and choose the varieties that blow my dress up without limitation. Also if I'm really lazy I can set the timer to just start the machine at a predetermined time and wake up to that wonderful smell of fresh brewed SBC or whatever.

Kuerig UPDATE!

FWIW ~ After 3+ weeks of ownership, I thought that I would update this thread with my experiences/opinions of my new Keurig single cup coffee maker. Being the ONLY coffee drinker under this roof, I was excited to have a new toy, but I have to admit that my LBYMs characteristic did cause me to have 2nd thoughts about this purchase....especially after I went online and bought several samples of various drinks available for it. With hot cocoa, apple cider, various teas and coffees all available, I quickly spent ANOTHER $75 on stuff that I wanted to try....or at least I thought that I did!

My thoughts ~

#1 ~ I LOVE it! The ease of making a cup of coffee without the thought of wasting the rest of a pot if I don't drink it is just one more thing that I don't have to think about during my day ~ not to mention the (sometimes) nagging question...."Did I turn off the coffee pot?"

#2 ~ Newest discovery ~ I have learned that I don't really like coffee! :( :angel:

OK....I know that may seem inconsistent with the rest of this thread but please allow me to explain.....

Evidently, I am NOT a coffee connoisseur ~ NOT even close! Most of the new coffees...heck what am I saying.....ALL of the coffees that I have tried in those little K-cups are MUCH stronger than anything that I'd prefer to drink :blush: WAAAYYYY too strong for me! Thank goodness for the reusable single My Cup that came with the machine. It allows me to make a cup of Folgers with a taste that I am used to.....(I take one smallish mug, fill the bottom of the cup with Splenda....add non dairy creamer...and with the cup already 1/4 full of "stuff", I then add my mild coffee :biggrin:)

For the [-]miserly, wouldn't spend that kinda money on ANY coffee[/-] cost conscious drinkers here, I should say that I have learned to reuse the used K-cup holders after my visitors drink their favorite flavor....I find that if I remove the remnants of the top, wash out the cup and filter and let them dry, I can refill them with my trusty brand (about half full), cover the top with aluminum foil and (re)use them as if they were new! I try to wait until I have a half dozen or dry K-cups and have found them to be very handy ....

#3 ~ the variety when coupled with the ease of clean up is a definite plus when visitors are looking for something to warm them up.....while some prefer to grab their favorite coffee (or try something totally new), others raved over the tea, apple cider and even the hot cocoa.

My conclusion is that while I continue to enjoy the Keurig single cup coffee maker for those reasons mentioned above, I don't think that I would buy it again given my discovery about my personal taste for coffee....

It seems like my previous Mr. Coffee would still serve MY personal needs....even with the waste of leaving coffee in the pot, it would still be cheaper....still, the lack of cleanup and the variety for others is a big PLUS.....and who knows, maybe I will develop a taste for real coffee....someday! :greetings10:

Wow, exactly the opposite of me. I can't find one that's strong enough! I recently tried a "jet fuel" k-cup at my brother-in-law's house and it was pretty good. Certainly not your cup of tea (er, coffee).

The apple cider is great, but it's best on the smallest cup size setting.

I have learned to reuse the used K-cup holders after my visitors drink their favorite flavor....I find that if I remove the remnants of the top, wash out the cup and filter and let them dry, I can refill them with my trusty brand (about half full), cover the top with aluminum foil and (re)use them as if they were new! I try to wait until I have a half dozen or dry K-cups and have found them to be very handy ....

Well I'll be darned. Looks like you are not alone, even:

Kbrewlids home, refill and reseal your k-cups like new

How to Reuse K-Cups for a Great Cup of Coffee | eHow.com

How to Reuse K Cups

Refilling Keurig K-cups

Review: K Cup Injector for Keurig Brewers - Reuse Your K Cups | Single Serve Coffee - SingleServeCoffee.com

:cool:

For the sort of palate described here by VaCollector and others, there's a much simpler, cheaper and tastier alternative: boil water (in a kettle, microwave, whatever) and get yourself a jar of Nescafé Taster's Choice or, if you're feeling flush (and if you can afford to squander money on K Cups, you are) some Starbucks Via Colombia or Italian Roast, preferably bought at Costco where price are lower. These premium instant coffees are way better than K-Cups, require no machine whatsoever, are portable and have limitless shelf life.

The best way to make coffee that I have found is the AeroPress, it's somewhat like a french press and very easy to use. Can be had on Amazon for about $25. I use coffee beans and a grinder but any ground coffee will work. Cleanup is easy, if there's a draw back it's that it is single use only.

Coffee is such an intensely personal thing, isn't it?

I spent several years living in Brazil, and got used to extremely strong (but extremely good) coffee. They drink it all day long. When you visit someone for a business meeting, it's simply unheard of to begin actual discussions until you've been offered a cafezinho (a tiny cup of very strong coffee (what we would call espresso) with a bowl of sugar on the side if you want it.

One thing that always intrigued me is that my Brazilian acquaintances swore that the best coffee was exported, while they were left with what was left. I smiled and nodded, knowing full well that the most ordinary coffee I could buy in the supermarkets of Rio de Janeiro was far superior to anything I could buy in the USA.

After returning to the "land of round doorknobs" I started hunting high and low for "good" coffee. Eventually I settled on one of the Starbucks blends, and I've been drinking it exclusively at home for at least a dozen years now. That's my treat when I get up every morning. I make a pot in a Hamilton Beach Brewstation Pro coffeemaker. The amount I make is what they call eight cups, which is enough for three good-sized mugs, and while I frequently wish I could have a little more, I deliberately restrict myself to this amount.

The funny part is that if DW wants some coffee in the morning, she fills her cup about 3/4 full of milk, heats it in the microwave, adds a spoon of sugar, then about a tablespoon of my coffee. She says that's absolutely perfect!

I've recently given up roasting green beans in a popcorn popper, since it seemed just too much trouble for little gain. I grind up French roast from Costco now, in a Cuisinart grinder + drip machine, which uses too much ground coffee, but still makes a pretty good strong brew (which my wife and I prefer). The Keurig sounds sort of interesting.

We drink a lot of Taster's Choice - I prefer it to brewed coffee, although I can also make a mean cup of brewed. I disagree, though, that instant coffee's shelf life is limitless. Just like regular coffee, once instant coffee's opened, the aromatic oils go stale rather fast, and the coffee becomes bitter. Even unopened, vacuum-sealed instant coffee will go stale, especially in hot weather. :( When we buy instant coffee on sale, we store the extra containers in the freezer until ready to use.

Amethyst

These premium instant coffees are way better than K-Cups, require no machine whatsoever, are portable and have limitless shelf life.

Coffee is such an intensely personal thing, isn't it?

I spent several years living in Brazil, and got used to extremely strong (but extremely good) coffee. They drink it all day long. When you visit someone for a business meeting, it's simply unheard of to begin actual discussions until you've been offered a cafezinho (a tiny cup of very strong coffee (what we would call espresso) with a bowl of sugar on the side if you want it.

One thing that always intrigued me is that my Brazilian acquaintances swore that the best coffee was exported, while they were left with what was left. I smiled and nodded, knowing full well that the most ordinary coffee I could buy in the supermarkets of Rio de Janeiro was far superior to anything I could buy in the USA.

After returning to the "land of round doorknobs" I started hunting high and low for "good" coffee. Eventually I settled on one of the Starbucks blends, and I've been drinking it exclusively at home for at least a dozen years now. That's my treat when I get up every morning. I make a pot in a Hamilton Beach Brewstation Pro coffeemaker. The amount I make is what they call eight cups, which is enough for three good-sized mugs, and while I frequently wish I could have a little more, I deliberately restrict myself to this amount.

The funny part is that if DW wants some coffee in the morning, she fills her cup about 3/4 full of milk, heats it in the microwave, adds a spoon of sugar, then about a tablespoon of my coffee. She says that's absolutely perfect!
Living in Brazil can sure help you develop a coffee standard difficult to satisfy here in the States. If you don't mind sharing, which *bucks blend you you find equivalent to what you drank there? I always thought Brazilian instant coffee (Nescafe) was better than anything brewed here as well.

I brew Peets when I can, and buy *bucks Ethopia when I need something on the spot, but they're reducing the number of varieties and now it's hard to get. When we have visitors I make the coffee, but much weaker for them and also microwave the milk.

My experience with the single cup makers is they don't get the water hot enough and you can't alter the strength to you personal preference. I have heard many positive comments about Green Mountain Coffee K-pods, however. Net, though, is this is not for LBYM types or those that are very particular about their coffee.

A similar problem with drip machines. When my Braun gave out I got a Cuisanart DCC-1200, which sure does the trick for morning coffee. During the day I like the Nespresso, but that's the result of living in Latin America for so long. It is without doubt the most expensive option, though, and Nestle has not been shy about [-]gouging[/-] raising the price when possible.

Well, as I said, it's such a personal thing. But my taste is best served by the Fourbucks blend they call Caffe Verona. I enjoy it the South American breakfast way, very strong with plenty of milk.

I bought a Keurig for my mother for Christmas, she loves this thing. Big plus for me is that it's versatile. My mother drinks coffee, I like hot chocolate, and my neice likes the apple cider...we were using it every morning and everybody could drink what they wanted.

We've settled on grinding a whole bean mix of 50/50 mix of Starbucks/Eight O Clock (or another brand) then use our freebie 4 cup Melitta/Gevalia coffeemaker. After trying all kinds of fancy, expensive units, this cheap throw in we got is still the best for us. There's only 2 of us, we only drink 16oz each and it suits our needs perfectly. We used a permanent filter instead of paper ones.

My future Brazilian son-in-law was really surprised when he ordered his first coffee in the U.S. They asked what size. I don't know what size he ordered but he was really surprised when he got this giant cup of coffee. He doesn't like regular U.S. coffee.

I just fixed him a cup of Brazilian coffee this afternoon with some of that exported Brazilian coffee. Anyway, the coffee shop where the coffee beans were purchased says "Brazil Boa Vista" using my little Melitta cone... I had mine with milk - so good.

If Brazilian coffee is your cup of tea (sorry, but I dearly love to mix my metaphors), there are three things to keep in mind.
First, use only Arabica beans, not Robusta.
Second, they should be roasted to a fairly dark level.
Third, use a find grind.

Aeorpress *****

The best way to make coffee that I have found is the AeroPress, it's somewhat like a french press and very easy to use. Can be had on Amazon for about $25. I use coffee beans and a grinder but any ground coffee will work. Cleanup is easy, if there's a draw back it's that it is single use only.
This review and a cup at a son's house convinced me to give Aeropress a try, so I got one from Amazon and have been using it for a few days.

Very, very good! Previously I bought expensive coffee from the roaster down the street, and made it in a Bialetti stove-top espresso pot. Or, more often, I just made the quickie with the Senseo pods.

With this I just bought the much cheaper Trader Joe French Roast (beans).

I love it. It is quicker to make than the Bialetti, and to me at least tastes better. And absolutely no comparison with the Senseo, which tastes like thin colored water compared to the Aeropress. I like a cup diluted to slightly stronger and with more body than what I get in a "double-short Americano with room" at a coffee house.

If I am around later I make another one or two, usually with decaf after the first morning cup.

Ha

This review and a cup at a son's house convinced me to give Aeropress a try, so I got one from Amazon and have been using it for a few days.

Very, very good! Previously I bought expensive coffee from the roaster down the street, and made it in a Bialetti stove-top espresso pot. Or, more often, I just made the quickie with the Senseo pods.

With this I just bought the much cheaper Trader Joe French Roast (beans).

I love it. It is quicker to make than the Bialetti, and to me at least tastes better. And absolutely no comparison with the Senseo, which tastes like thin colored water compared to the Aeropress. I like a cup diluted to slightly stronger and with more body than what I get in a "double-short Americano with room" at a coffee house.

If I am around later I make another one or two, usually with decaf after the first morning cup.

Ha

OOOH ! Thanks for the endorsement...I have been wavering as I've gotten lazy on my daily mug. I used to love the labor of the stovetop espresso, but tired of all the cleaning of all the parts and use a basic drip lately which I'm not very happy with...but this looks like a happy medium and cheap enough to be worth a try (esp w/ all the great reviews on amazon)...

I have a question about the Aeropress. I buy whole beans, grind them and use a drip pot to brew my coffee. I drink 1 cup in the morning and occasionally a second cup in the afternoon. Will using the Aeropress improve the taste of my coffee just because it is a different process for making coffee? I've seen it mentioned a number of times, but have a hard time imagining how it can change the taste.

I have a question about the Aeropress. I buy whole beans, grind them and use a drip pot to brew my coffee. I drink 1 cup in the morning and occasionally a second cup in the afternoon. Will using the Aeropress improve the taste of my coffee just because it is a different process for making coffee? I've seen it mentioned a number of times, but have a hard time imagining how it can change the taste.

I find the AeroPress gets rid of the acidity that you often get with other coffee makers. The coffee that you press out is very strong (espresso) and you just add water to make an American style type of coffee, very easy to adjust the coffee strength to what you like. One of the problems with most auto drip coffee makers is that they don't heat the water to a high enough temperature. I use a tea pot to heat up my water for the AeroPress then let it cool down for a minute before using.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom