Right Knee Replacement on 5/24

Major Tom

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had originally posted this in harllee's thread about her DH's total knee replacement (TKR), but it ended up being such a lengthy account, that I think it might be better to make it the subject of a new thread.

My right knee had been giving me problems since a motorcycle accident in around 1991/92. In around 1998, I had an arthroscopy, to clean up the torn meniscus, but soon learned that I was still no longer able to sprint up stairs, and had to begin thinking in terms of not putting undue stress on my knees. In 2008, I visited an orthopedic doctor, who informed me that I had degeneration of the knee joint, due to osteoarthritis, and would need a knee replacement at some point in the future. It was then that I had to accept the reality that I could no longer run or sprint.

Fast forward to today. My right knee had progressed to being bone-on-bone and, although not as painful as I would have expected a bone-on-bone joint to be, it has been putting limitations on my life for a few years now - notably on the distance I was able to walk without pain. On a good day, I could walk up to a mile without much pain though on a bad day, the distance was considerably less. At the age of 57, I wasn't prepared to accept the crimp this put in my leisure activities. It basically meant that I couldn't take a sightseeing trip to another city, unless I confined myself to a tourbus for seeing the sights, instead of walking the city. I'll make that compromise when I'm 75, but not now.

I saw an orthopedic surgeon, who tried me with a cortizone shot. It worked wonderfully - for about a week. Obviously, this was not the way forward. I was originally scheduled for a total arthroplasty in February, but decided to postpone, until I had had the COVID shot. The surgery was eventually rescheduled for 5/24, and the first couple of weeks has been quite a rough ride.

I am finally on the upswing, and hope to do well, but got off to a rough start. I was told that it is standard to keep patients in hospital for 1 night, but was kept in for 2 nights, due to concerns about the approximately 50 steps, divided into 5 flights, required to get to my apartment in this old house I live in. Occupational therapists coached me in how to walk with a frame, and how to go up and down stairs. In the hospital, navigating stairs was extremely painful, as it was on the first day home. After that, it became easy, and the pain much less.

The big mistake that I made, was skimping on the pain meds in the first 7-10 days after surgery. In my case, the pain meds were oxycodone and gabapentin. As a result, I suffered a great deal of acute surgery pain, and what I can best describe as "existential misery". I wasn't suicidal, but there were some nights when I was seriously thinking that death must be quite wonderful, for the lack of pain experienced. In retrospect, I think I was going through a bout of post-op depression. This was unexpected, as I have never suffered depression in my life before - not even mild depression. Quite honestly, there were some moments in which I felt lonely, and completely broken as a human being. I was also regretting having the surgery in the first place.

I live on my own, but had support from family, friends and neighbors. The cards, texts, and offers of help were really touching. They didn't help my post-op depression a lot though because, at the end of the day, we each face this stuff on our own. If I had been living with a partner, and had someone to give me rides to PT and the orthopedic surgeon's office, it might have helped. However, I am far too stubbornly independent for my own good and, apart from the ride back from the hospital, insisted on doing everything via public transport. My lowest moment came at about 7am on a cold morning. I was waiting for the bus near my house. I had had to wake up at about 5am in order to have a washcloth bath. At 7am, I was clean, but cold and miserable, bending over my walking frame, and staring at the ground. I must have looked so lost, because a young lady walking her dog, stopped and asked if I was OK. I replied that I was fine, and just waiting for the bus, but it helped a lot to feel recognized. Without realizing, she helped me that morning. Shortly afterwards, I was at PT, and things started looking up. They assured me they'd have me off my walker and back on my feet in no time.

A day or two later, at the 10 days after surgery mark, I made my first post-op visit to the surgeon's office, to meet with the physician's assistant. He took a look at my leg, and started telling me that I was running out of time to gain full ROM (range of motion). He really read me the riot act. In retrospect, he must have been more concerned with my extension than flexion, as he smashed my knee down onto the examination table until I was screaming in pain. I eventually stared at him pointedly and yelled, "Stop!" The poor feller looked quite taken aback. Everyone in the waiting room and the other exam rooms must have heard me! He could see that I was quite down, and really suffering, and assured me that it would get better - and that the more work I put into regaining flexion and extension, the faster the pain would go away. Then he left the room, and I didn't see him again. His assistant brought me a prescription for more pain meds, and I was on my way.

I realize that the physician's assistant was trying to put the fear of God into me, as he didn't think I had been exercising hard enough to regain my ROM. He was partially right, as I feel that the information I had been given in the hospital wasn't very clear. I was shown exercises in the hospital, and given a handout with a large number of knee exercises. I was told how important it was for me to take responsibility for rehabilitating my knee, and reminded that scar tissue would begin forming immediately after surgery, so I had to begin exercising straight away, to break the scar tissue. The problem is, it wasn't emphasized to me that, in the first few weeks, all I had to worry about was increasing my ROM - an objective that could be achieved with a very few simple stretches. The handouts said things like, "Do 2 sets of 10, 3 times a day." I got the impression that all I had to do was a few exercises from the handout (I didn't know which ones) a few times a day, and I'd be OK.

Luckily, in the days following surgery, I did a lot of online reading, and began to get a feel for what I was supposed to do. One comment the physician's assistant made to me, which was very useful, was,

"You should be doing this stuff all day."

That was the first time anyone had impressed upon me that my entire days needed to be dedicated to increasing my ROM. What a shame I didn't realize this 10 days sooner! Now, I wake up, dose myself up with pain meds, have a cup of tea, wait for them to take effect, and begin the stretches. Then I ice the knee. Then rest a little. I do 4 sessions like this a day. I do a total of 12 stretches, each 10 minutes long. Half of them in flex, and the other half are extensions. That way, I spend a total of an hour a day in flex, and an hour a day in extension. It hurts, but it's a good pain.

At my second PT visit, at the 2 week and one day mark, my flex was measured at 120 degrees, and extension at 11 degrees. I do think the 120 degrees was off, as it looks more like 100 to me. They insisted that it was 120 though. I was advised to ease off on the flex stretches, and do more extension stretches. This extension of 11 degrees at 2 weeks and 1 day after surgery concerned me, but my therapist told me there is plenty of time to get it down to zero, and that she has had patients with greater extensions, who successfully got them down to zero.

After my initial awful 10 days immediately surgery, I am enjoying my recovery, and believe I can do this. As others have noted, 2 useful sources of info appear to be -

https://www.yourorthomd.com/

and

https://bonesmart.org/

These 2 sites seem to represent the 2 different ways of thinking. Chris Gorczynski, on his yourorthomd site, feels that it is important to strive for maximum ROM by the 6 week mark - and that any increases in ROM after that point are minimal. He thinks that even if your knee joint is swollen and painful, you should keep stretching it in both flexion and extension, without a break, in order to reach your goals. The folk at Bone Smart, however, take the view that you shouldn't do anything that hurts you, and that the 6 week mark is not that important - that meaningful increases in ROM can be achieved even 6 months or a year after surgery, by the use of gentle stretching.

With both camps being so convinced that their viewpoint is the correct one, it is hard to know who to believe. Frankly, after my very unpleasant and painful experience at the hands of the physician's assistant, I'm inclined to lean towards the more gentle view espoused by the nurses and nurse practitioners at Bone Smart. I'll be quite happy to spend every day for the next year exercising, and doing gentle stretches. If my increase in ROM after 6 weeks are incremental, that is fine with me, as long as I eventually reach my goal.

My surgical knee is still swollen from the procedure, and I can't help feeling that if I were to stop walking on it and stretching it so hard, the swelling might go down, and my ROM would magically increase.

Anyway, that's my story so far. If I have the other knee done, or a hip (which is probably going to happen), then I will learn from this experience. I will double up on the pain meds for the first week, to avoid the acute surgical pain. No skimping on pain meds next time!

My neighbor has been urging me to get an ice machine. I do ice the joint a few times a day with gel packs, for about 20 minutes each time, but wonder if I should be doing more icing.

EDIT - I did want to add that my rather awful experience with the post-op blues could have a silver lining. It has sensitized me to the things and people I am grateful for. My little cat would jump up onto me, looking for affection, and I'd begin crying tears of happiness, feeling so grateful that I have her. I have also realized how blessed I am for the friends and family I have. I think this experience has humbled me, and hopefully made me more aware of the suffering of others. I hope that I don't forget this, as I progress towards recovery.

I posted this over on the other thread, and then deleted it over there and I am reposting it here on your new thread.

The folk at Bone Smart, however, take the view that you shouldn't do anything that hurts you, and that the 6 week mark is not that important - that meaningful increases in ROM can be achieved even 6 months or a year after surgery, by the use of gentle stretching.

With both camps being so convinced that their viewpoint is the correct one, it is hard to know who to believe. Frankly, after my very unpleasant and painful experience at the hands of the physician's assistant, I'm inclined to lean towards the more gentle view espoused by the nurses and nurse practitioners at Bone Smart.
PT worked for me during the first two weeks when a very gentle PT therapist came to my home and did things like assess my gait and give me suggestions. This was with no physical therapist's hands on my knee and no machines either, just verbally explaining how to do things like get on and off my bed safely and then watching me do it. Very helpful and I recommend this type of gentle home PT.

But then, it was time to go to PT at the PT facility, a different organization than that which provided the home PT. They were overly rough with my knee and I got worse and worse, and my ROM was not what I had hoped either. Eventually a PT session at that facility injured me so badly with a broken machine (and nobody within yelling distance to help me) that they had to put me in a wheelchair just to get from the facility to our car. I think this was at maybe 6 weeks or so after surgery. Anyway I told them what they could do with their PT where the sun didn't shine. F was (seriously) on the verge of felony assault because he was there when they did this to me and saw the whole thing although he wasn't close enough to help in time. I calmed him down and then quit PT and refused any further contact with them.

Once the PT folks were no longer repeatedly injuring me, and I was basically sitting in a recliner all day healing, I was surprised and shocked at how quickly my ROM improved all on its own. My orthopedic surgeon was impressed with how good it became, too. By now (~2 yrs later) my ROM is the same for both knees, one of which did not have surgery and one that did.

I didn't expect that the Bone Smart folks would be right because to me they seemed like a bunch of brain dead ninnies, but in my case they were absolutely 100% correct. Others swear by PT but for me it was extremely detrimental except for the first couple of weeks of very gentle PT at home.

PS: Your neighbor is right. You HAVE to have an icing machine if you can possibly afford to buy or rent one, unless your swelling and pain are essentially gone. I had mine icing my knee almost all the time for the first weeks after surgery. The icing you describe doing is essentially not icing at all, at least for the post-surgical period when you probably need much more than that. Much of the pain is due to swelling (or was for me, anyway) and that is one reason why icing helped so much, and why overly rigorous PT was so painful and damaging to me. I barely needed any pain meds at all, except after being injured and except for bedtime to allow me to sleep.

My wife lives with terrible arthritis, and she had a knee replacement 3 years ago. She was in the hospital 3 days--long enough to get into a PT routine.

Her doctor emphasized the importance of taking all meds as prescribed--not stopping until they were gone. Controlling pain also helps every patient in taking physical therapy. He also emphasized "doing exactly as you're told."

She's since been to Europe twice--walking as much as 8.5 miles in a day.

As is normal, she now needs a replacement in the other knee, and she's been taking some "rooster comb" type of shots in a series of 3 a week apart. When one has one weak knee, the other one is often favored and a TKR is just a matter of fact on it.

Her last surgery (end of January) was a mid foot fusion where they put screws and plates into the top of the foot. The surgeon did the maximum number of procedures possible in a 3 1/2 hour surgeon. After 2 months in bed, she's been in a wheelchair 2 more months. And she's in for a 1 year recovery. She's simply been miserable until a week ago.

My wife's been under pain management for 20+ years, and the states are pressuring pain clinics to back off dramatically on controlled substances (pain meds.) Even though she's had an extremely painful surgery, they've not taken care of her needs and she's actually down more than half her normal level of drugs. Her biggest gripe with orthopedic surgeries is that the pain doctors and the ortho surgeons assume the other is going to take care of the patient's needs. In the end, she's lived thru Hell with the last two surgeries because of a lack of the right medicines.

I'm glad you're over the top on your knee replacement. They're now doing so many of them that for many ER's, it's a matter of when rather than of if you're going to require one.

Her last surgery (end of January) was a mid foot fusion where they put screws and plates into the top of the foot. The surgeon did the maximum number of procedures possible in a 3 1/2 hour surgeon. After 2 months in bed, she's been in a wheelchair 2 more months. And she's in for a 1 year recovery. She's simply been miserable until a week ago.

I can't even imagine! That sounds SO painful and I am so sorry that your wife (and you!) have been going through this. :( Hopefully she is on her way to recovering from this dreadful surgery.

I posted this over on the other thread, and then deleted it over there and I am reposting it here on your new thread.

PT worked for me during the first two weeks when a very gentle PT therapist came to my home and did things like assess my gait and give me suggestions.

But then, it was time to go to PT at the PT facility, a different organization than that which provided the home PT. They were overly rough with my knee and I got worse and worse. After PT at that facility injured me so badly that they put me in a wheelchair, I think maybe 6 weeks or so after surgery, I told them what they could do with their PT where the sun didn't shine. F was (seriously) on the verge of felony assault because he was there when they did this to me and saw the whole thing. I calmed him down and then quit PT and refused any further contact with them.

Once the PT folks were no longer repeatedly injuring me, and I was basically sitting in a recliner all day healing, I was surprised and shocked at how quickly my ROM improved all on its own. My orthopedic surgeon was impressed with how good it became, too. By now (~2 yrs later) my ROM is the same for both knees, one of which did not have surgery and one that did.

I didn't expect that the Bone Smart folks would be right, but in my case they were. Others swear by PT but for me it was extremely detrimental after the first couple of weeks of very gentle PT at home. This was with no physical therapist's hands on my knee and no machines either, just verbally explaining how to do things like get on and off my bed safely and then watching me do it.

PS: Your neighbor is right. You HAVE to have an icing machine if you can possibly afford to buy or rent one, unless your swelling and pain are essentially gone. I had mine icing my knee almost all the time for the first weeks after surgery. The icing you describe doing is essentially not icing at all. Much of the pain is due to swelling (or was for me, anyway) and that is one reason why icing helped so much, and why overly rigorous PT was so painful and damaging to me.

This is very good information. Thank you for sharing your story W2R. I saw an interesting post over at Bone Smart in which the poster (an admin and nurse, I believe) was talking about scar tissue and adhesions. She believes that, although scar tissue does form, in most cases it does not adversely affect the ROM. She contends that it is mainly adhesions between the tissue plates that cause the problems, and that those only form in a very small percentage of cases. In other words, in most cases, there is no harm, and much healing to be gained, by taking it easy, and allowing the swelling to go down.

In an ideal world, every patient would have a recovery program designed specifically for them. PT's and surgeons would look inside your knee to see exactly how it is healing - is scar tissue getting in the way? Do you have adhesions forming? Or is your knee simply swollen, and in need of a good rest more than anything? Both of the main camps seem to have plenty of cases to prove that their approach works - and so they double down, convinced that they are right. Like you, I was a little skeptical about the Bone Smart view at first. However, there are so many stories of success with their approach, that it is a little hard to completely ignore. Hearing your experiences, which essentially back up the Bone Smart view, is compelling testimony.

I'm glad you had F on your side. I know you're perfectly capable of standing up for yourself but, if nothing else, it feels good to know you have someone on your side who'd just love to take a swing at anyone who hurts you!

I'm glad you had F on your side. I know you're perfectly capable of standing up for yourself but, if nothing else, it feels good to know you have someone on your side who'd just love to take a swing at anyone who hurts you!
That's for sure. He's tough as nails, he's loyal, he's gentle, and he's on my side. Couldn't ask for more and he means the world to me.
:smitten:

I have not had knee surgery or known anyone close that has had it.

I just wanted to say that it made me sad to read that you had post-op depression. I hope that you do rely on people that want to help you and I wish you well on your recovery. May it be swift.

My wife's been under pain management for 20+ years, and the states are pressuring pain clinics to back off dramatically on controlled substances (pain meds.) Even though she's had an extremely painful surgery, they've not taken care of her needs and she's actually down more than half her normal level of drugs. Her biggest gripe with orthopedic surgeries is that the pain doctors and the ortho surgeons assume the other is going to take care of the patient's needs. In the end, she's lived thru Hell with the last two surgeries because of a lack of the right medicines.

Bamaman - I'm sorry to hear of the terrible arthritis your wife lives with. There is not a lot of justice, as far as our health goes. We just have to play the cards we're dealt as best we can. My great Uncle Jim (a former firefighter) was sprinting around the back garden in his early 90's like a teenager. He died a year or two later, so I assume that his decline was fairly swift. A neighbor in Los Angeles replaced the roof on his house on his own in his early 80's. His wife though, had been in poor health for decades, and he was her caregiver for a large part of their lives together.

I hear you on the strict state regs on pain meds. CVS refused to fill my new pain med prescription until June 28th. They calculated at what rate I should be consuming the meds, based on the recommendations on my last prescription. The problem is, that my doctor verbally advised me to double the dose, in order to deal with the high level of pain I was experiencing. Luckily, I am over the worst of the pain, so can dial down the dosage. I will still be out of pain meds for a few days though. In my case, I think I will manage. In your wife's case, I think it's outrageous that these regulations work against the interests of the people who need these meds the most. The people who misuse these drugs are screwing it up for those who are using them properly.

That reminds me of a paper I read recently, on the issue of addiction to prescription opiates. The finding was that among the people who were taking them purely for pain relief, even if the use was regular and at quite high dosages, the levels of addiction seen were very low. Speaking from my own experience, I am happy to take them when needed for pain relief, and even happier to stop taking them when no longer needed.

That's for sure. He's tough as nails, he's loyal, he's gentle, and he's on my side. Couldn't ask for more and he means the world to me.
:smitten:

This comment made my day!

I have not had knee surgery or known anyone close that has had it.

I just wanted to say that it made me sad to read that you had post-op depression. I hope that you do rely on people that want to help you and I wish you well on your recovery. May it be swift.

Thank you Dreamer. I think the experience has made me a better person. I feel terrible for people who go through this sort of thing regularly.

Major Tom, hang in there. Time will heal your knee. I had both knees replaced, two years apart (age 58 and 60), and my ROM in both knees is better now than it was before the replacements. I went through extensive PT out to 5 months, with very little improvement between the first and last session. I was at around 95 and 6 degrees with a variation of a couple of degrees between any two sessions. After both replacements I went back to playing fairly vigorous doubles tennis at the 5-month mark. It was difficult at first because of my lack of confidence and strength in the operated knee. But after a month of tennis each knee had improved to around 115 and 0, where it has stayed. I don't think the improvement is related to tennis per se as much as just being active and putting repeated real stress on the connective tissue within the knee. I think there's a lot more vigorous stretching going on in a couple of two-hour sessions of tennis per week than in any amount of sitting/standing/lying static exercises. I'm back to backpacking in the Sierras on these new knees now. You will be back to doing what you want (other than running or vigorous shoveling according to my doc) if you just hang in there and steadily ease back into it after all the healing is done.

Tom, DH's knee surgeon is a big believer in the Bone Smart philosophy--the first thing you need to do is get the swelling down and then the ROM and everything else will follow. Aggressive PT will just make the swelling worse. To get the swelling down DH's surgeon recommends the ice machine (you really should get one and use frozen ice bottles) and elevation. For elevation DH bought the Lounge Doctor pillow and it has worked great. Then main thing is to give yourself time to heal. It sounds like to me you are trying to do too much. I am so sorry about the depression--according to Bone Smart that is very common. Do you have a good friend or family member you can talk to about things? If not just come on this Forum and give us an earful. I do that all the time and almost always get good advice.

Reading this thread makes me grateful I don’t need any replacement parts yet:)). The most painful thing I have ever done is having the 4 on 4 bottom implants which replaced all my bottom teeth. I had to take round the clock pain medication for 4 days. These surgeries sound much worse.

Major Tom, hang in there. Time will heal your knee. I had both knees replaced, two years apart (age 58 and 60), and my ROM in both knees is better now than it was before the replacements. I went through extensive PT out to 5 months, with very little improvement between the first and last session. I was at around 95 and 6 degrees with a variation of a couple of degrees between any two sessions.

Interesting how PT didn't seem to help you much at all. This helps me think that, in the early stages, I need to be putting more emphasis on rest and healing.

Tom, DH's knee surgeon is a big believer in the Bone Smart philosophy--the first thing you need to do is get the swelling down and then the ROM and everything else will follow. Aggressive PT will just make the swelling worse. To get the swelling down DH's surgeon recommends the ice machine (you really should get one and use frozen ice bottles) and elevation. For elevation DH bought the Lounge Doctor pillow and it has worked great. Then main thing is to give yourself time to heal. It sounds like to me you are trying to do too much. I am so sorry about the depression--according to Bone Smart that is very common. Do you have a good friend or family member you can talk to about things? If not just come on this Forum and give us an earful. I do that all the time and almost always get good advice.

Thank you harllee. Luckily, the depression was short-lived, though it was very real. I am looking at ice machines now. I am reading that they shouldn't be left on for more than 20-30 minutes in any one hour, or they can be an impediment to healing. Did you cycle yours, or leave it on all the time?

Reading this thread makes me grateful I don’t need any replacement parts yet:)). The most painful thing I have ever done is having the 4 on 4 bottom implants which replaced all my bottom teeth. I had to take round the clock pain medication for 4 days. These surgeries sound much worse.

Well, there is a great variation in the ease of recovery different people experience though I would say, on balance, that yes, recovery from these surgeries is longer and usually harder than what you have been through so far.

Thank you harllee. Luckily, the depression was short-lived, though it was very real. I am looking at ice machines now. I am reading that they shouldn't be left on for more than 20-30 minutes in any one hour, or they can be an impediment to healing. Did you cycle yours, or leave it on all the time?

I'm not harllee, but in my case I did not cycle it and even napped and slept (in my recliner) with mine going. I put a cloth between the cooling pad of the machine, and my skin. I used a bandana for that. Whenever Frank came over, or when we came home after going out somewhere, he'd immediately refill my ice machine with frozen water bottles for me and I'd hook myself up again. When he wasn't there, I could refill it with frozen water bottles myself (which was much easier than dealing with ice cubes). I probably spent more time hooked up to the ice machine than not during recovery.

Anyway, icing so much was perfectly fine in my case although as in all things, YMMV. Of course I would stop icing if I experienced much discomfort from it but that wasn't very often. While icing I put a blanket over the rest of me (other than my knee), because even in New Orleans in August I would start feeling cold after a while.

This is the icing machine I bought and used and it was fabulous:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040OD2IO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Medicare gave me another icing machine of some other brand to take home from the hospital for free, because that is what they do for total knee replacement patients, but I never used it.

By the way - - on another topic, IIRC the worst part of recovery for me was about two weeks after the surgery. Which is about where you are at right now, I think. Your knee pain and discouragement will get better! :) It is a long recovery but not infinitely long.

+1000 Perfect advice and I absolutely agree with everything Harllee said. Well, except that unlike most people I didn't use my Lounge Doctor pillow very much since I recovered in my recliner and couldn't get it situated right, but most people on Bone Smart do use it a lot.

Major Tom,

Sorry to hear about your post-op depression and pain. :flowers: Sounds like you are doing much better now.

Please listen to and ask questions of the TKR-experienced folks on this forum. They have good information and advice.

Hoping you are pain-free and your knee is healing nicely. And you'll soon be bounding up the stairs.

omni

Major Tom,

Sorry to hear about your post-op depression and pain. :flowers: Sounds like you are doing much better now.

Please listen to and ask questions of the TKR-experienced folks on this forum. They have good information and advice.

Hoping you are pain-free and your knee is healing nicely. And you'll soon be bounding up the stairs.

omni
+1 Had to add a graphic from Google images: Here's Major Tom in a few months bounding upstairs with his new knee! I know it's hard for him to imagine during these bleak days of early recovery, but THIS WILL HAPPEN before too long.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 26
Thank you for the link to your ice machine W2R. I was about to ask what brands and types of machines people had been using. I will most likely be ordering one today.

I am becoming more and more convinced that some surgeon's offices shouldn't be involved in patient care after surgery, as they lack the necessary empathy. I told my physician's assistant that I had been experiencing quite a lot of pain. His response was, "Well, I don't hear you shouting and screaming!" the implication being that if I wasn't yelling, then my pain can't have been that bad. After he smashed my knee flat against the exam table, in an attempt to get better extension, I told him that was some of the worst pain I have ever experienced. His response? "Well, you've had a good life so far then!"

To be fair to him, he did soften up a bit later, and reassure me that things would get better. However, he is convinced that I need to keep forcing my knee into flexion and extension, regardless of the pain. I am more than ready to try the Bone Smart approach. I am meeting with him again on Thursday, and will break the news to him that I am taking this approach. I'd posptone my PT appointment too, but they don't tax me too much and they also measure my flex and extension, which is helpful.

W2R - that photo is great. That used to be me - sprinting up stairs as fast as I could go. I will not be doing that in the future, so as not to stress the new knee, but I will be so happy when I can walk for miles without pain. That will be the big gift!

Thank you for the kind thoughts, scrinch and omni550. They are very appreciated.

Thank you for the link to your ice machine W2R. I was about to ask what brands and types of machines people had been using. I will most likely be ordering one today.

Another endorsement for the Ossur ice machine. I got one for DW to use on her sore ankle a couple of months ago and she absolutely loved it. Easy to use, too.

They issued DH a Breg PolarCare ice machine in the hospital (Medicare paid). DH used it 24/7 for the first 3 weeks (like W2R he put a thin towel between the ice wrap and his knee). We used 4 frozen plastic water bottles in the tank (and I kept 4 more frozen in the freezer at all times to change out). For those first few weeks I changed out the ice every 5 hours day and night (that kept me busy.) Now at 2 months DH still has some occasional swelling and he uses the ice machine and lounge doctor and hour or so a day, more if he has too much swelling. A friend who has knee replacement 3 years ago still uses the ice machine and Lounge Doctor pillow a few times a week. When DH is not using the ice machine and Lounge Doctor I have been using them for my back. I may end up having to get my own. :)

Yes, icing the joint is very important. I was given a polar care machine after both of my shoulder surgeries. That and keeping up with the pain meds. PT was third for me, had to deal with pain first.
Major Tom--hoping you continue to improve. Is it possible for your doctors office to call or fax an updated note to the pharmacy advising them you were told to up the dose on the old RX so they will fill the new one sooner?

Major Tom, DH's surgeon told him if he used the ice machine a lot then he would not need as much pain medication and that was true--DH hardly used any pain medicine other than extra strength Tylenol.

Is it possible for your doctors office to call or fax an updated note to the pharmacy advising them you were told to up the dose on the old RX so they will fill the new one sooner?

pacergal - the pharmacy told me to do that. I left a message for the physician's assistant on Thursday, and he has yet to return my call. He did return a call a few days earlier, about a different issue. I think he may be purposely blowing me off this time. I see him this Thursday, so we'll see what he has to say. If I need another similar surgery in the future, I think I will seek out a different orthopedic practice. I'm not overly happy with this one at this point.

I like nurses, nurse practitioners, and perhaps some PT's for after-surgery care (and maybe a very few surgeons, like harllee's DH's one). I'm beginning to think that, as skilled as surgeons are, empathy is not necessarily one of the required skillsets for what they do. With apologies to any surgeons in this forum. I realize my broad generalization doesn't apply to everyone!

The good news on my pain meds, is that once the ice machine arrives on Monday (I am very close to ordering one!) I should be able to make it through to 6/28 with minimal pain, when my new pain med prescription will be filled. It comes with one refill. If I can get by on just 2 or 3 pain med pills a day, then I'll have enough supply for almost a couple of months at the new, lower dosage, by which time I hope to be completely off the pain meds anyway.

The future is bright - I just have to get through the next few weeks. And I am done with multiple extreme stretches that just cause my knee to stay swollen. I have heard so many stories that the Bone Smart approach works, that I am willing to give it a try.

Thank you so much for all of your support and comments. They have really helped.

Last edited:
pacergal - the pharmacy told me to do that. I left a message for the physician's assistant on Thursday, and he has yet to return my call. He did return a call a few days earlier, about a different issue. I think he may be purposely blowing me off this time. I see him this Thursday, so we'll see what he has to say. If I need another similar surgery in the future, I think I will seek out a different orthopedic practice. I'm not overly happy with this one at this point.

I like nurses, nurse practitioners, and perhaps some PT's for after-surgery care. I'm beginning to think that, as skilled as surgeons are, empathy is not necessarily one of the required skillsets for what they do. With apologies to any surgeons in this forum. I realize my broad generalization doesn't apply to everyone!
My surgeon was FABULOUS when it came to the actual surgery. He did a wonderful job on my knee. His manual dexterity, vision, and judgment during the actual surgery must have been utterly top notch.

On the other hand, he wasn't terribly good at conveying empathy or much of anything verbal. That wasn't his main skill. I get it. We've all met guys who just don't tend to talk a lot, and he is that kind of man, albeit a brilliant surgeon IMO.

But even worse, his assistants, PT facility workers, receptionists, and others that he employed were awful. I think the problem is that in medical school they teach them how to do the surgery, but not how to find good people to work for them.

Also he worked in a big orthopedic practice and probably the other doctors did a lot of the hiring. Everybody that works there except for my surgeon is going to end up in the lower depths of H*ll when they die because of how callous and mean and incompetent they are.

Major Tom, you seem to be on the upswing now. Just focus on the end goal and the daily improvements. You will get there. Thanks for your story and experience, to help others that may be in the same position for TKR some day.

Back
Top Bottom