Laptop keyboard problem

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Maybe someone can help: I have a strange problem with my laptop's keyboard. No rhyme or reason to this, but every so often as I type words with the letter-after-c, on its own these letters appear: jfa jfa/ttjfa/er, & simultaneously the screen jumps to bottom of page. I get a similar problem when I hit the apostrophe key, & occasionally the Enter key (the letters nbz appear & it *oes not move to a new paragraph). If you re-peruse this, you will see that I was able to successfully type that problem letter, & then the problem recurs (sorry, cannot use the past tense of that last wor*), Any i*eas what this might be, & how to fix it?

Does the same thing happen when you connect a usb keyboard to your machine? If not then you know its a hardware issue with the keyboard itself. They're typically pretty cheap and easy to replace.

Another possibility could be dust in there. Pick up a can of compressed air and blow it out thoroughly. That sometimes fixes problems like this.

Another possibility could be dust in there. Pick up a can of compressed air and blow it out thoroughly. That sometimes fixes problems like this.

And turn it upside down while doing this and/or shaking and brushing.

Also agree to try an external keyboard to rule out anything else.

-ERD50

Agree with all the above. It's also not that expensive or hard to replace most laptop keyboards if it comes to that.

Make sure your touch-pad is not being manipulated by your palm, etc. I always disable mine.

Do you have a backup of your system? If so, restore temporarily to a time when you know laptop was working right to see if the issue is a change to software or hardware related.

Besides trying a plug in keyboard.

Does this occur in all programs or just certain ones that perhaps have a macro enabled ?

Must be a pain to type in passwords :eek:

Hah! A little netbook computer I have developed a keyboard problem with the keys used to enter the login password (the machine was locked until it got the right password). I spent a lot of time trying to get in, checking the CAPS lock, number lock, banging my head wondering if I forgot the password. And since the password characters are hidden, I had no idea. And since I couldn't get in, I couldn't type anything into a note program or anything to test the keyboard.

It wasn't until I finally tried an external keyboard that I figured it out. Found a cheap replacement keypad on ebay, it pretty much just snapped out/in (once you knew the secret little clip places), and all is well.

-ERD50

Hah! A little netbook computer I have developed a keyboard problem with the keys used to enter the login password (the machine was locked until it got the right password). I spent a lot of time trying to get in, checking the CAPS lock, number lock, banging my head wondering if I forgot the password. And since the password characters are hidden, I had no idea. And since I couldn't get in, I couldn't type anything into a note program or anything to test the keyboard.

It wasn't until I finally tried an external keyboard that I figured it out. Found a cheap replacement keypad on ebay, it pretty much just snapped out/in (once you knew the secret little clip places), and all is well.

-ERD50

+1
This happened to me recently. A friend had an expensive Toshiba laptop, just out of warranty, and the login password didn't work- he thought someone had changed it without telling him. So I offered to look at it for him. I did a "restore to factory settings" to reset the password, and I found that 3 keys were not functioning (including one letter of the "lost" password).

And turn it upside down while doing this and/or shaking and brushing.

Also agree to try an external keyboard to rule out anything else.

-ERD50

keyboards_are_disgusting.png

Back
Top Bottom