Stuck with Windows 10 version 1909 since end of 2020

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Off and on for the past 12 months, I have tried to upgrade my current OS 1909 to the latest version without success. My Dell laptop is now 5 1/2 years old. I wouldn't care so much about this except that as this version ages without any further updates, will it be more venerable to infection even though I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.
In the past, I normally waited to upgrade to the next version as the current version got closer to the its expiration but since the end of 2020, I have been unable to do this via the normal Windows Update in Settings which is stuck with the following notification "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes.". It have had no problem installing 1909 updates so it is up to date. I tried troubleshooting window update and found no problems. I also tried several times including today using Windows 10 Update Assistance which appears to complete normally and get the final screen "Your Update is ready. Your PC needs to restart to complete the update". While the laptop reboots more slower than normal, there are NO messages you normally get when updating windows and of course the version does not change.
Any thoughts?

Try booting without Malwarebytes, then try the update.
Google says that there are known problems in this area.
Thanks but I have the free version and it is not open until I actually active it either when checking downloaded files or doing periodic full scans.

I went through this same problem through several attempts at updating. It would fail. Then one time it "caught" (for no apparent reason, as I did nothing special) and it's updated every time since then.

Install Windows 11

You can do this in Windows 7, 10 prior if you want to upgrade.
Otherwise you can follow the directions below for a clean install.

Get Windows 11
https://tweaks.com/windows/67321/download-windows-11-now/

How to Install Windows 11 on just about any Device
https://tweaks.com/windows/67324/how-to-install-windows-11-on-just-about-any-device/
Using the tricks I'm about to share with you I was able to install Windows 11 on my $79 8" NuVision Windows Tablet I purchased from the Microsoft store in 2017. Originally shipping with Windows 8, this tiny tablet is packed with 2GB of RAM, 32GB hard drive, no TPM, no secure boot, and a 1.4 Ghz Atom processor that is no where to be found on the CPU requirements list.

Need 64-bit processor
Plug in your USB installation media and boot up the installer on your PC. When you get to the main Windows Setup screen shown below, stop

Next, hold down the Shift and F10 keys to open up a secret Command Prompt window. On this screen type in regedit and hit Enter to open up Registry Editor.

In Registry Editor, navigate through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, and then Setup. Right click on Setup and select New and then Key.

Name the new key LabConfig and then hit Enter.

Next, under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, Setup and then the new LabConfig key we just created, we need to create three new DWORD (32-bit) values. Right click on the background and select New and then DWORD (32-bit) Value and create a DWORD named after each item below:

BypassTPMCheck
BypassRAMCheck
BypassSecureBootCheck

And now for the final step, set the value for each DWORD you just created to 1 by either double click on each item or right clicking on each and selecting modify.

Simply close Registry Editor and Command Prompt and begin your install by clicking Next back on the Windows Setup screen.

Thanks but I have the free version and it is not open until I actually active it either when checking downloaded files or doing periodic full scans.
It's actually loading before you get to the desktop. It does some early scanning before it starts your requested scan and/or Windows folder scan.

So you want to uninstall it, reboot, then try your Windows upgrade.

That doesn't mean it is definitely the problem. But by uninstalling you eliminate it as a possible cause of your failing update.

To be safe I would first open Malwarebytes and have it check all files on the drive. If nothing found, then uninstall it. After all you have Microsoft Defender protection, correct?

Back
Top Bottom