Lawn mower recommendation for a small lot.....

This youtube makes reel mowers look light touch on flat lawns.

I do like the idea of the new reel mowers, as a teenager I got to use a cast iron one, of course back then men were men. :facepalm:

Funny thing in that video, all the shots of him mowing, didn't seem to do much as the grass didn't seem to need a mow.

I would have been impressed if he had been cutting 2 inches off the grass, instead of running over cut grass. There is one shot where it almost looks like he is cutting the grass to not much effect.

Heh..if you want exercise, don't buy another mower, just 'mow' your yard with a weed eater. :dance:

Actually there exist wheeled string trimmers with up to 6 hp motors and an 18 inch swath, including the expensive DR trimmers Trimmer Mowers (string trimmers) | DR Power Equipment cheaper models from other manufactures can be found at Lowes and Home Depot and Amazon. This does work for long grass and has the thickest nylon string of trimmers.

I've had a Honda mower for 15 years. Starts on one pull. Never any issues. I wish every product was this reliable. Best value for your $, even with a smallish yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My last mower was a Craftsman push, with a Honda engine. No problems, but it only lasted about 8 years. New one is a Toro, cheaper model, purchased from HD for about $200 (very light, which is nice on the inclines). Starts with 1-2 pulls, and no problems. Most of the time I mow 2 yards and put many "miles" on a mower, so mine may not last as long as someone else's.

I vote for Honda mowers and week whackers.....reliable, start EVERY time, so when you are ready to get to work, so are they!!!

I didn't see it mentioned, but go to mowersdirect.com and you can order all kinds of mowers and lawn equipment, and see many reviews.

Mr. Brown (UPS) brought my Honda mower and my Honda trimmer right to my door. Didn't have to horse around with boxes and loading and unloading...the price was comparable, and I don't think there was tax or shipping! Just broke out the razor knife, added gas and oil, pulled the cord, and off I went!!!

I take very good care of my equipment, which I think is part of the equation no matter what you own. And they are kept inside, out of the weather, so the gasoline doesn't cook in the hot summer ( like, in a shed for instance) and the garage is heated for winter.

Try that website. They also offer reel mowers. My lawn needs a zero turn, which I did buy locally from a dealer, not a box store, so that when/if it needs servicing that I can't do, there is a local place to do it. Something to think about when buying a large rider..if you buy at the box store, don't expect the dealer to put your machine first if it needs repairs!!!

Hope this helps!

How do you sharpen those reel mower blades?
The above video actually shows how to lap in a mower reel. When I was a kid, I worked in a lawnmower shop that has an actual sharpener with a grinding wheel that ground the blades uniformly, then we would lap them to perfection.

I prefer a reel mower but my experience is that unless the grass was bone dry it didn't work well, just kinda flattened it

I prefer a reel mower but my experience is that unless the grass was bone dry it didn't work well, just kinda flattened it

What do you do in those situations when it stays wet for days and by time it dries out, it's too thick or tall? Are you able to just run over it a couple of times and it cuts it well enough? I'm planning on keeping my old beater gas mower for backup.

I used to use a push reel mower and it was a a pain. Very heavy. Lots of starting and stopping, remowing certain areas. But that was 25 years ago. Two of my neighbors mow their small flat yards with reel mowers and they (both girls) don't seem to have any problems. Just walk up and down the lawn. So maybe the new models are easier to use, and cut better. BTW, any tall weeds don't get cut, just pushed over. I love my 22 inch 4 cycle Briggs and Stratton though. I'd never go reel or electric.

Received my reel mower today. Took just a few minute putting it together. It did a nice job of mowing the grass and took maybe 10 minutes longer to cut. I had several stops to clean small pieces of mulch getting stuck in the blades so that was a little frustrating. Next time I will try to remove any small pieces from the grass beforehand. Doesn't take a big piece to jam it.

Overall I'm pleased with it. I will certainly get more of a work out, but it's not hard to use. I wouldn't want one if I had a big yard. Mine is less than 2000 sq ft so not bad. I will need an electric or small gas one for those times when the grass gets thick due to lot's of rain or just from being out of town for a couple of weeks. But as long as I mow weekly(I normally do), this will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom