LCD HDTV's

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
Probably gonna get one soon - DW's bd is April around the time of the Masters, & she would enjoy being able to see every detail. So far what I know is that 1080p is desirable, & that 120hz refresh rate makes a difference in action scenes. Any other experiences or thoughts?

If you or anyone will be watching the set at an angle, be sure to check how much fade you get at that particular angle. Evaluate how the blacks look to you, as that is a weak point with LCD's. When in the store, try to watch a live feed as opposed to the canned stuff they run for demos.
Consumer Reports recently provided yet another review of LCD's

The current issue of Consumer Reports does an ok job on laying out top performers in plasma and LCDs and comparisons between each side.

Sony is never a bad bet........

120Mhz isn't that important... I've never been able to pick out the TVs that have it. Best is to go into a big store like best buy and just look carefully at the different screens side by side to see which look best. Look for color accuracy and range, inky blacks, and overall smoothness of the picture. My opinion is that Samsung has some of the best, Sony close second, and most of the major japanese companies not far behind.

Samsung has some LED TV's now that are VERY fast, long lived, and relatively energy efficient. You can find specifications for them all at the respective web-sites. Sharp, Samsung, Toshiba, Sony etc., dot com. Be sure to watch the MODEL Numbers for the one you want because Best.Buy, Circuit City, Sears and some of the others either try to hid the model numbers and some of them do not even show them in the paper advertisements. Although 1080p seems to be the "cool" number I don't think there is a lot of Cable TV that will even come close to that #.

Back
Top Bottom