Kids and Career Paths

Well, caution and awareness is called for here. I did okay where I worked, but here in WV, things are not all that good for public service jobs. I don't think any of them are going to be living under bridges, but they're generally not going to be taking any 'round-the-world cruises either. When I saw what the education requirements and pay for police officers is I was greatly dismayed. And this part of WV is having a very hard time attracting and keeping teachers since a 20-minute drive to VA or MD will almost double their pay. One certainly can't blame them for that.

Yep, had an acquaintance (assistance principal) relocate to a heavily unionized state where he could literally doubled his salary.

My wife is a teacher at a private school which pays substantially less than public schools and will never have a pension.

I live in New York where 15+ year teachers are pulling in six figures, free healthcare, a pension, and a guaranteed 7% return in their 403B. Not to mention 3 months off of holiday time annually.

Just to clarify- and I’m only speaking for those I am related to and know who teach representing several different school districts in California -
Teachers do not get paid for that time off. They get paid for the days they teach- specific number of days and a couple of staff development days.
Although they are supposed to get prep time most do not and do the prep outside of the hours that they are compensated for on a daily basis.

Everyone, thank you for the replies, I've read them multiple times keep them coming. SORT of on the same note....

9th Grade DD is running a 3.6 GPA. Mostly A's - - the sole B's are in Honors Math, and Honors Bio. Mind you - the Bio teacher, and counselor and other parents all told us - Advanced Bio is very very hard in 9th.

Question - - as far as getting into the best college possible - -- - is it a strategy to NOT take advanced courses - and pump up GPA? Or - taking advanced and having a tad lower GPA?

DD - is going to have major scoliosis surgery in summer. Of course - we and she are really scared and it is interfering with her sleep, diet, etc.....so frankly I'm impressed with her 3.6.

I was just under impression that the 'above average' schools demand 4.0+ and that 3.6 won't cut it.

Any opinions? Thanks (I've never ever applied to nor gone to college so I dont know)

If she can get B’s in the Honors classes, she should take the Honors classes. She should learn as much as she can, not take an easier course to protect her GPA. Besides, when it comes to admissions, colleges look at the HS transcript and would likely prefer a student that has demonstrated the ability to be successful in the more challenging courses.

And not to burst your bubble, but there will be plenty of students applying to the “above average” schools that have straight A’s in all Honors courses. Encourage your daughter to do the best that she can and to be a well-rounded student. Like others have replied, a lot can change between freshman year in HS and senior yr in college.

I would say support her 100% in whatever career she wants to pursue. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a teacher's degree. This world needs great teachers I would be very proud of her for that path.

Question - - as far as getting into the best college possible - -- - is it a strategy to NOT take advanced courses - and pump up GPA? Or - taking advanced and having a tad lower GPA?

Remember honors, AP, and IB courses are "weighted". So an A in AP or IB is a 5, vs a 4 in a regular course. IIRC honors was weighted to 4.5 (vs 5). We had our eyes opened WIDE when we went on college tours and asked what the average GPA was for school UC Santa Barbara, UCLA, and UCSD all had average GPAs of 4.3-4.5.... So above an A average because of weighted grades. So a B in a weighted course is worth an A in a regular course. My sons attended an IB school so they took a bunch of IB classes and AP classes and ended up with respectable GPAs

Admissions officers look at Rigor when looking at the GPA. So taking 'easy' courses will be seen for what it is.

What really helped us was having our kids look at the Payscale reports on salary based on college and major and looking at ROI on the tuition costs. Now there is also College Scorecard. Paid internships also really helped both land the first full-time jobs they wanted, so I would look at schools in locations where those opportunities are possible for their majors.

My Mom was a teacher and absolutely a wiz at saving money. If she learns about saving and investing early, she can make it work.

And in her younger years, my dear niece wanted to be “either a spy, or a teacher, or both”. She is neither as an adult. As far as I know, anyway. But she got a college degree and is working in a business office, successfully.

I may get flamed for the following and that's cool - I welcome and am thankful for any opinions from people more experienced in life than I. I'd like to say I'm not saying one size fits all. I'm not saying money is everything. I'm merely speaking from my experience, and my point of view.

Us: DW stay home Mom. No college degree for me, and retired 2 years ago@45. Due to some stuff (some my fault, some bad luck) I didn't do as well as I should have - - but I think I put away enough to be okay in life. Net worth excluding residence is $3 mill. (This is after 2 years of spending and negative investment returns.)

14 yo DD thus far shows good things academically - 100% opposite of me. It's only 9th grade - but doing well in multiple Honors Classes, works hard, good grades, etc. She has always talked about being a schoolteacher. Again - not denigrating it. It's noble. Heck - my 10 yo DS has special needs and every single year I'm so thankful for the heart those teachers put into the job.

However, yes, I think about money alot. Part of that is upbringing - previous generations were business folk, period. I started lemonade stands when I was 9, had jobs since I was 10, never asked parents for money since I was 14. My kid sister is a senior corporate attorney - - my cousins - many are 7 figure wall-street types, the one altruistic one is still a Master's in Sociology and among her pursuits was intimate meeting with Australia's Prime Minister regarding refugees - point being, most of us *had* to, and wanted to do well -- - and did well. We were taught unabashedly growing up: Go for the money and success. And when you've made it - do things to help others which most of us, in our quiet ways did - albeit some more than others. All of "the kids" in our group - are long term married, happy, etc. So it's not the situation where there's lots of money - but also booze and dysfunction and misery. Life - overall - is good .

So I'll just say it - I realize we can't force kids into a career. And I realize we're all different. And yes in the end - like any parent I just want her happy and content. BUT -- - I worry about her money situation if she continues down that path.

My "right hand man" when I owned my business was a great woman. StayHome Mom who returned to work to put her daughter thru school. I hired her years ago, and in entry level she made $90k a year, progressed to $160k and today she isn't retired - she works in our old industry making $200k and her employer loves her.

Her daughter became a teacher - replete with Master's and my friend tells me "I'm proud of her. But dammit - she makes less than one of our 1st-year sales reps who barely got out of high school! "

Is money everything? No. And put aside that DD - while we *never* buy designer brands, etc for her or us...... we always had a charmed life: New cars, nice houses, nice vacations, eating out, never worrying about money. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself but I wonder - someone who has lived that way..., can they truly adjust to life of $50k a year? even 60, 70, 80k?

This morning en route to school she was telling me about becoming a tutor, and early childhood education and of course I was sincerely glad she's thinking about that stuff. But in my brain I was saying "Dude, with your grades and stuff....ok you dont have to be a scuzzy sales/business guy like me....but heck look at engineering, looking at a business degree, do something that makes some money!!!"

It's only 9th grade. And I've heard people change their minds as time goes on. Again I clarify I am NOT NOT denigrating a teaching profession -I AM however worried that I don't want my daughter to go thru college and then barely be able to afford a townhouse payment. BUT I'm also cognizant - you can't force someone into a career path. Cursory research - the tiny optimist in me feels ok - good colleges, Master's level - ok that might mean teaching in a good, well ranked, higher paying district. Who knows maybe some administrator job one day. Maybe a side tutoring business. But again - that's how I think - - I can't force DD to think that way. Again she's just 9th grade too - - who knows how many times her mind may change.

With my 'shortened' success in business - I won't have a big trust fund or legacy to leave my kids so it's of paramount concern to me that they can have fruitful lives on their own- - including financially .

Curious if folks here ever had consternation over kids career or education choices.

Yes, money doesn't buy happiness.

But - it's a good down payment. That - I do believe.

I google'd my son's 1st grade teacher's salary. Here in my state it's *mostly public knowledge. She earned 6 figures last year. I know she probably gets extra pay as well as she teaches summer school which is an "extra" on top of her base comp. Plus all those days off...and not to mention she is a pillar (legend) in the community where seemingly all the school kids/parents know her around town. She seems happy. And good at what she does.

Had a good childhood friend who was teaching at inner suburbs. Said it was hopeless. Half the class was failing. Discipline was his main activity over actual teaching.

Just 2 stories. If she works for that up and coming school with lots of tax revenue from the localities, levies and such she could do pretty well with little to low stress. Maybe even go on to teach at University or something. Or...college becomes non-existent as we all implant neurolinks in our brains for 1/4 the cost of a private school's tuition. YMMV.

I would encourage her to be challenged, irrespective of GPA, especially given the weighting, mentioned above.

But more importantly, these classes often are accepted as college credit. So "free" as opposed to expensive. The way it worked out in my daughter's case, she would sign up for a full semester, and one class would be dropped for whatever reason, but one of the AP classes could fill the gap. So she was able to get her degree in 4 years, as opposed to longer.

My oldest daughter thought she wanted to be a music teacher.

Midway through her sophomore year, she visited a pre-K classroom near her college. She fell in love with the thought of being a pre-K teacher.

During her pre-K teacher training, she visits a special education class. Falls in love with it. So, she graduates, moves away to a different state and gets a Masters in Special-Ed.

She teaches a couple of years and then decides she "really" likes the administration side of Special-Ed, so she moves yet to another state to get a Phd in that field. She's almost done with that and wants to become a college professor that teaches the latest techniques of special-ed to upcoming teachers.

So, she went from Music, to Pre-K, to Special Ed teacher, to wanting to be a professor. Time will tell. I would have been happy with any of these fine occupations.

Moral of the story - things change. I wouldn't worry about what path a 9th grader might pursue down the road.

Have three kids who are early in their careers. Youngest is special needs.

We have never tried to guide their education or career choices. Our role as parents after high school has been both to pay for their higher education and to be cheerleaders and supporters as they progress thru school and launch careers.

All three ended up in STEM fields.

Thanks for sharing

Have three kids who are early in their careers. Youngest is special needs.

We have never tried to guide their education or career choices. Our role as parents after high school has been both to pay for their higher education and to be cheerleaders and supporters as they progress thru school and launch careers.

All three ended up in STEM fields.

My 10 year old son is special needs. ADHD - and along with it some of the side effects from meds, ie it makes him very subdued, some anxiety, etc.... altho academically - does pretty well.

May I ask - what career path has your youngest gone into?

I take my son to weekly computer coding class, and I stay in the parking lot, eat pizza and sort of pray he latches on :)

My 10 year old son is special needs. ADHD - and along with it some of the side effects from meds, ie it makes him very subdued, some anxiety, etc.... altho academically - does pretty well.

May I ask - what career path has your youngest gone into?

I take my son to weekly computer coding class, and I stay in the parking lot, eat pizza and sort of pray he latches on :)

Youngest daughter is deaf and a Cardiac ICU nurse. With appropriate support she made it through undergrad at Rochester Institute of Technology in NY and grad degree at Johns Hopkins. Currently working at #1 cardiac ICU in the nation. To say I’m proud is an understatement. To a large extent I credit the many therapists and teachers of the deaf that supported her on her journey.

Wow

Youngest daughter is deaf and a Cardiac ICU nurse. With appropriate support she made it through undergrad at Rochester Institute of Technology in NY and grad degree at Johns Hopkins. Currently working at #1 cardiac ICU in the nation. To say I’m proud is an understatement. To a large extent I credit the many therapists and teachers of the deaf that supported her on her journey.

What a remarkable set of events and thank you very much for sharing. Indeed the support is so important. When our son's special needs showed - - somehow , we had moved into an area that the district is so well known for special ed -- people actually have relocated form 3 states over to be here so that was lucky for us. Yes - - there's been some exceptional teachers, speech people, etc....even the head of SpecialEd- so involved, so "bought in" to the kids making good.

It truly helps me to hear of your and your daughters success.

Sometimes with my son - I see glimmers of great skill - so do teachers. But with the ADHD/Anckeity stuff....sometimes I get so worried inside in that - -what's this kid gonna do when I'm croaked and gone?

I've been stepping up my efforts at home, studying with him, having him practice things like confidence, organizing his own time, etc..... at times it's arduous, other times I see him catching on.

Again, congratulations.

My daughter had her mind set beginning in kindergarten that she was going to be a pediatrician. if I even brought up the subject of another career, even in when she was in high school, she would remind me of her goal. She started university as a biomedical engineering major - and at the end of her sophomore year, switched to elementary education.
Now she is a stay at home mom with 4 kiddos and her career on hold. But one child has had significant medical problems so her prior interest in medicine has helped her cope with that.
I had several different careers - one of which did not even exist when I was growing up. I also see a great future for those who enter some of the traditional blue-collar fields. Just do your part to expose her to different career fields. One book I bought for my granddaughter was "Girls Who Build: Inspiring Curiosity and Confidence to Make Anything Possible " by Katie Hughes. It not only exposes girls to tools and construction trades but also builds confidence by giving instructions how to build things. (https://www.amazon.com/Girls-Who-Build-Inspiring-Confidence/dp/0762467207 - or your local book store)

Ever since I was a little boy my parents told me I could be whatever I wanted to be. That was even after I said I wanted to be a stunt man. :eek: That changed a few times through the years. By the time I started college I declared my major as Pre-Med. The following year I changed my major to Biology which required considerably more advanced science courses. My last year as an undergrad I was hired by the college to teach some introductory classes and once in a graduate program I paid for my tuition by teaching at the university. After school I taught for 10 more years before being coaxed away with the promise of more money and a career path in chemical engineering and industrial microbiology. That was fun for a decade but couldn't stand the office politics so returned to my real calling in academia. Even though I was being offered double my salary by other companies I knew where I would be the happiest.
You can't live someone's life or make decisions on what would make them happy. Give you children lots of choices, opportunities, and guidance but eventually they are the ones who need to decide. She has plenty of time yet and will most likely change her mind a few times anyway. Money is important but being happy with your career path is even more. I was happy in academia. I was so pleased with my career I wasn't concerned about retiring early and I didn't hate my job.
Consider too that just because a choice is made in a career path today doesn't mean you can't change your mind later.

Cheers!

I say be wholehearted in your support of what she wants to do. Say it out loud. Both my son's are engineers (like us). One daughter in law is an accountant and one is a teacher. Each couple makes about the same money. My son with the accountant wife is also going to law school at night and when he starts earning big law money later in 2023 their couple income will be higher than the engineer/teacher but they also live in a higher cost of living area. I am proud of both my kids and DILs, especially the teacher, because teaching is HARD and I don't think I could do it. We need good teachers.

Thanks all

Appreciate all the replies, and all of the experiences you've shared - -frankly it's helped me. Of course, I do not feel bad that I want DD to grow up - and make decent money. Certainly I dont expect her to make what I did.... but yeah, I want her to be comfortable - - but part of that is also being content and happy with what she decides to do for 40+ hours a week. (In my case it was 70...and I still remember all the laughs I had most days). And who knows - as folks here plus some research says - a good teacher, with masters, in a good district can eventually do rather well, plus time off, plus pensions, and ... well - maybe they have less tension over meeting payroll, working capital ,employees and customers that I had all my life.

In high school here- starting in 10th grade there's an optional technical school they send the students to, who elect to. It's supposedly hands-on work, apprentice-ships, etc. Anything from computer design to auto mechanics to.....early childhood education. She's talking about wanting to do that for 10-11-12th. It appears one gets a few college credits and hands-on experience with pre-3 kids.

I would think that's good right? Of course, I do feel GPA/SAT is the gateway to getting into good colleges and I want that to be #1 priority.

Has anyone seen such technical education - and is it a plus, minus, or neutral - vis a vis college admissions? Thanks

I was so pleased with my career I wasn't concerned about retiring early and I didn't hate my job.

This is huge! There are a bunch of threads on the forum dealing with "why did you retire?" and almost every one who retired early did so because they hated some aspect of their job.

Consider too that just because a choice is made in a career path today doesn't mean you can't change your mind later.

So true! Several people on the forum have commented that they retired from jobs that didn't exist when they were hired. I was one of them - in 1973, whoever heard of a computer forensic examiner? Yet I was one for a bit over ten years. Not even in science fiction did I ever read of that.

…In high school here- starting in 10th grade there's an optional technical school they send the students to, who elect to. It's supposedly hands-on work, apprentice-ships, etc. Anything from computer design to auto mechanics to.....early childhood education. She's talking about wanting to do that for 10-11-12th. It appears one gets a few college credits and hands-on experience with pre-3 kids.

I would think that's good right? Of course, I do feel GPA/SAT is the gateway to getting into good colleges and I want that to be #1 priority.

Has anyone seen such technical education - and is it a plus, minus, or neutral - vis a vis college admissions? Thanks

In this context, I think “early childhood education” means daycare/pre-K. Certainly important for society but not likely to lead to a well-paid career.

Your DD says she wants to be a teacher. It’s probably too early for her to know what type of teacher so she should keep her options open. I’m sure the requirements vary by state so you should look into yours, but in PA there are two different paths to being a public school teacher. For elementary education (up to about 7th grade??) one needs a four-year degree in Elementary Education. To teach at the HS level, one needs a 4-year degree in a subject (math, English, etc) and must take coursework in Education.

For either path, staying in the regular HS and taking “college prep” courses (with AP or Honors where possible) is going to be the best preparation for your daughter to get into a “good” college.

The tech school option is a better fit for someone interested in the trades. Many of the students at our local tech school go to college but it’s to broaden their knowledge before working in their selected trade (i.e.studying metal before getting a job as a welder, studying business before opening a contractor business).

For 11 years prior to retirement, the young wife taught child development, early childhood education and human development at the high school (all electives). The classes were taken over the course of three years, starting in the 10th grade. In the 11th grade, the girls (maybe 2 or 3 boys over those years) acted as the teachers in a preschool for 3 and 4 year old children. They planned out the lesson for a day, prepared all the supporting materials and directed their classmates who acted as their assistants for that day. She taught the senior human development course as an adjunct faculty member of the University of Connecticut, and the students received three semester hours of UConn credit if they passed the course. She also helped guide them in getting into the appropriate colleges and usually wrote in excess of 25 college recommendation letters every year, along with several graduate school recommendations for students from prior years.

The majority of the girls who went through all three years of her courses were interested in becoming public school teachers (not pre-K/daycare), although some wanted to be pediatricians or to work in social services focusing on children. Many of them have kept in contact with her over the years, and she has had great satisfaction in watching them get their own classrooms (mostly in elementary grades, but some also in middle and high school) in Connecticut and other states. I would guess that of all the teachers at the high school, she taught the most future teachers.

So, if your daughter is interested in becoming a teacher and there is a similar program in her high school, it would be very helpful for two reasons - to help her find out if she is really interested in teaching and, if so, to give her a good start toward that goal. It appears that the actual hands on experience in the preschool is a substantial factor in admissions to schools of education, and the courses may give her a leg up on her classmates once she starts college courses. The young wife's former students have reported that it did for them.

Last edited:
9th grade is too young to bank on anything. Has not even experienced the high school peer pressure days yet. Like most posters here, you really need to take a chill pill for now. However, there are others like me that can give you some tips because this hits home having lived through it. Actually, still in the thick of things. DD (only child so no way to make up for my screw-up on #1. Ended high school in Texas with honors. Decide Rochester institute of Technology would be cool to go too so away we went at $40k per year. Luckily, she hated the winter, hated the East Coast, missed Texas and where most of her friends went but learned a lot about herself. Transferred to Texas A&M and I thought I won the lottery. Graduated in International Studies with an e-Commerse minor. Whooo-hoo! Sr. year came up fast, the economy and job markets were not good. She was not ready for the real world. Meanwhile, her sophmore year we sold our 4000 sq. foot beautiful house with the pool and 100 acre park across the street and downsized to 1,450 sq. ft. House on a golf course (55+ retirement community actually). I remember hammering on her about getting in good with the recruiting Dept, getting her LinkedIn profile out there, Sr. Year internships, etc. She graduated and could not get a job and moved back home into our “shoebox”. That became the worst 2 years in our relationship. And it was my fault because now you’re in tough love territory. After 2 years of that living hell (98% my fault) she went back to school, got her teaching certificate and spent the next 5 years teaching 5th grade math. The kids were great but the pay sucked, the parents were worse, the school boards started telling teachers what the could and could not say in classrooms so teaching is one of the worse professions out there these days. But she did escape the retirement community and was living on her own. Then Covid hit. She is working on IT courses now, hoping to escape teaching shortly. She and her fiancé bought a house last year. They get married in 2023 at 29 & 30. But Instill have to pay for most things which drives me nuts. If I was you, I would find some form of making money that is fun for you, whether it is building dog houses or any other side hustle. And I would squirrel that money away as a contingency account for what is to come. Because you have no idea what will happen in the next 10 years and you will be banished from saying anything at all (probably correctly too). But I would absolutely start prepping your kid for making a living on their own which starts with having their act together going into high school. I would go so far as showing her where the web sites are which list starting, mid-career, and later career salary levels. We always said to our DD “when you go to college” not if. You can do the same thing with “when you are living on your own, buying your own car, having money to travel and buy Christmas gifts for others”, etc. And then one day, you get to pay for a wedding, walk her down the isle while crying, and finish out your days watching the grandkids grow up.

In high school here- starting in 10th grade there's an optional technical school they send the students to, who elect to. It's supposedly hands-on work, apprentice-ships, etc. Anything from computer design to auto mechanics to.....early childhood education. She's talking about wanting to do that for 10-11-12th. It appears one gets a few college credits and hands-on experience with pre-3 kids.

I wish there had been programs like that in the high school I attended. I heard about them from other kids my age that took those classes. I didn't get a chance to take classes in woodshop until I took an Adult Education class for a one night class for 4 weeks.
I have had around 14 jobs during my life but only a few that were full time from teacher to chemical engineer to professor to potter. Now I am getting back to trying wood working again at 74. This time in my garage and learning from books and youtube. It has been a great ride.
One of my grandsons is taking classes part time and working as an apprentice in HVAC. He is being treated well and enjoys the opportunity. He will probably make more money than I did once he is licensed.

Cheers!

But I would absolutely start prepping your kid for making a living on their own which starts with having their act together going into high school. I would go so far as showing her where the web sites are which list starting, mid-career, and later career salary levels. We always said to our DD “when you go to college” not if. You can do the same thing with “when you are living on your own, buying your own car, having money to travel and buy Christmas gifts for others”, etc.

I have only one child and I guess I did things right despite his somewhat dysfunctional upbringing before my divorce and having to send him to a military boarding school for HS. Math degree, 15 years as a claims adjuster, about to transition to the actuarial field after passing two exams. He and DDIL are definitely LBYM.

What I plan to instill in my grandchildren is the message that they need to find something they like to do and do well that allows them to live the life they want. I KNEW I wanted my future to include home ownership, a generous amount for travel expenses but the bare minimum necessary for a reliable car. Many perfectly noble professions (e.g. social worker) would have made it difficult. I totally agree on researching various jobs and their salaries. Here's an excellent resource that was a staple in every library when I was in HS.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/

My granddaughters, in particular, will be told that "marry a man with a lucrative job" is not a plan. DDIL aspired to be a SAHM but got a 2-year degree in Accounting and worked in the office of a major car dealership for years before marrying DS. She'd also moved out of the little town where she was born and was sharing a place with her sister and another young woman. It meant a lot to me that she'd been on her own for awhile and wasn't just desperately seeking a way out of Mom and Dad's house.

My oldest daughter thought she wanted to be a music teacher.

Midway through her sophomore year, she visited a pre-K classroom near her college. She fell in love with the thought of being a pre-K teacher.

During her pre-K teacher training, she visits a special education class. Falls in love with it. So, she graduates, moves away to a different state and gets a Masters in Special-Ed.

She teaches a couple of years and then decides she "really" likes the administration side of Special-Ed, so she moves yet to another state to get a Phd in that field. She's almost done with that and wants to become a college professor that teaches the latest techniques of special-ed to upcoming teachers.

So, she went from Music, to Pre-K, to Special Ed teacher, to wanting to be a professor. Time will tell. I would have been happy with any of these fine occupations.

Moral of the story - things change. I wouldn't worry about what path a 9th grader might pursue down the road.

You make a good point about things changing. Some people like my DW stay in the same career path and line of business their entire life. I took a much different path. I was working in IT during the .com bubble/bust/Y2K and lost my computer networking gig. I remember at the time I was in high school and earning more than my teachers. Then, I went to college for a semester far away from home. Parents didn't like the path I was headed, dad told me come home and try and get a job or go to school back home. I ended up joining the USAF and did that for a bit after framing houses for a bit back home as a summer job. Went into USAF in IT again. Did that for a bit. When I was honorably discharged I looked around as I sat in beautiful California and thought...what's next? I wanted to give a University a try but even at that age didn't have the wits to realize most of my credits I acquired wouldn't transfer over. So good idea, bad planning. I ended up working some temp jobs, construction, started my own window install/repair company. Did that for like 4 or 5 yrs and ended up landing a really good paying job back in the IT industry. That was 15 yrs ago. I've been testing software ever since. That career has been VERY lucrative and allowed me to raise 3 kids so far. I think I'll have enough money that if age discrimination catches up to me and I become stagnant, I can drive a bus or work at home depot and be fine lol.

I worry about retiring early too soon and teaching my kids the wrong lesson. I want them to have a good work ethic so they can have options like I did. I want to be able to help them out if they need it so I might end up in the OMY position at 50 (I am 41 now) and oldest would be 17 if I FIRE at 50.

I might end up teaching software testing somewhere if it makes sense and move away from the actual hands-on engineering side of testing. I would need to carve out my own niche doing this and it would be a risk. But showing up trying to compete with all the new kids on the block in my industry will become a thing someday. I am not cut out to climb up into corporate C Suite. Too much bs and bureaucracy at that level for me to enjoy showing up. Also, most of those roles require a college degree, and that ship has sailed. I could always fall back on continuing doing tree work which is very physical, hard work but also pretty fun for me for now. If I had a bad back or injuries and it caught up to me I am sure I would change my mind.

Long story short, you never know how things will turn out. I lost a lot of motivation my Jr/Sr years of High school but still graduated and ended up landing on my feet. I've had some fellow classmates to very well with and without college degrees. Many more well off with degrees though. But it takes some willpower.

Back
Top Bottom