LCD TV screen black after 2 secs -- help!

Urchina

Full time employment: Posting here.
This morning I turned on the TV so the kids could watch cartoons while I made breakfast. Everything was fine for 2 seconds, then the screen went black. The sound keeps coming through fine.

Checked the cables, changed the channels, turned the TV on and off and on -- still have the problem. This is a Sharp Aquos we bought a couple of years ago and it's been absolutely great until this morning -- no problems at all.

Anyone run into something similar? When the TV picture is on (for those initial 2 seconds) the picture is ok -- no pixellation or other problems.

A search of the web using the search string "LCD screen black sound OK" was fruitless.

Thanks!

can you get a picture from another signal source e.g. dvd player?

If you can get the menu to come up, check to that the audio only is not selected. AUDIO ONLY - OFF should be selected.:eek:

Thanks for the ideas. It turns out the answer was embarassingly simple -- I had to unplug the TV and leave it unplugged for over 1/2 hour. Then I plugged it back in and it works. The nice lady at Sharp's customer service line recommended this.

I forget -- turning these things off doesn't actually turn them off and reset them -- they continue to draw nearly as much power as they do when they're on. This is utterly wierd to me, but worked.

Thanks, and sorry for crying wolf!

No reason to apologize. The answer was not at all obvious -- it's the appliance designer's fault.

No reason to apologize. The answer was not at all obvious -- it's the appliance designer's fault.

Hey, at least customer service as Sharp is well, "Sharp".........:D

I forget -- turning these things off doesn't actually turn them off and reset them -- they continue to draw nearly as much power as they do when they're on.

does this mean from now on I should unplug them instead of just turning them off(to save electricity)?

does this mean from now on I should unplug them instead of just turning them off(to save electricity)?

Yes, all appliances draw some current when resting. That's how they keep time and stuff, kinda like "standby" on a computer monitor.......

Yup. Anything with an internal clock or remote control (Computers, modern TVs, stereos, DVD players, DVRs, etc.) continues to draw power even when it is "off." This is called a phantom load. The only way to stop the phantom load is to unplug the appliance. In our case, we have them plugged in to power strips, so we can easily turn the power strip off and on -- makes saving energy by turning them off a lot easier.

Back
Top Bottom