Less than $1 Million?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Don't be intimidated!

Coming to a new forum can be a daunting experience, especially when the numbers look like this:

Threads: 65,802, Posts: 1,484,641, Members: 27,574

Yikes... Where to start?
Do I belong here?
Who are all these people?
If I stay, how do I get caught up?

.... and depending on which thread/post you read first, it's a roll of the dice as to what you might find. Different if you're 62 and deciding to leave the workplace, or 35, and looking for the best way to plan for an early out.

On the other hand, maybe the subject will be foreign travel, or a specific health condition, the kind of pet, or a place to settle in retirement... or maybe just to find out if you have enough money to retire.

It's all here.

You'll find folks with more money than you've ever dreamed of, and po folks like me, who took a chance and decided to retire without a whole lot of money and are still happily unemployed, 27 years later.

Less than a million? It's a personal thing... appalling to some, hopeful for others, point being that with nearly 30 thousand members, there's a place for everyone.
While the numbers may be intimidating, the people aren't. You'd be hard pressed to find a friendlier place. Except for some friendly jabs between folks who have known each other for years... no snarkyness, no insults, and no intimidation. Just a place for mutual respect, and far away from politics and religion, which is what makes ER a comfortable place to be.

So... If you're new here, and happen on a post that asks for hotel suggestions on the Riviera... and you're thinking about a Saturday with the family at the State Park... just know that you'll be in good company either way. You'll like it here.

I particularly like the diversity of ideas on all of the topics. Investment strategy, diet, Florida or never Florida, etc... It is nice to get ideas from folks who have either been successful with a particular strategy of even stories about failure. The collective knowledge is a comfort to me.

While the numbers may be intimidating, the people aren't. You'd be hard pressed to find a friendlier place. Except for some friendly jabs between folks who have known each other for years... no snarkyness, no insults, and no intimidation. Just a place for mutual respect, and far away from politics and religion, which is what makes ER a comfortable place to be.

So... If you're new here, and happen on a post that asks for hotel suggestions on the Riviera... and you're thinking about a Saturday with the family at the State Park... just know that you'll be in good company either way. You'll like it here.

I agree with everything you say, especially this ^ part.

I am active in 2 other forums in addition to this one, and by far, this one is the BEST. Sure, there are disagreements, but the mods do a [-]good[/-] great job keeping people in check. I have been around here a few years and never once did I not feel welcome. In most forums, if your post count is less than 100, you are treated like a no-nothing nobody...that is NOT the case here. Also, the varying topics is very refreshing...so much to read and learn about. Recently, my favorite part is that discussions on politics is NOT ALLOWED. Overwhelmingly, politics is what RUINS a perfectly good forum...and it's great to come here and not have to listen to the incessant yammering about it.

Nice introduction imoldernu!

I found it difficult to keep up here before I discovered the portal/timeline views available on the web/android app respectfully.

These views show all the threads with recent activity. The various sub-forums are combined on this single view.

Another useful view that I use is under Quick Links - Subscribed Threads. This view will show all threads that I have posted to in the past sorted by those with the most recent activity.

Another trick is to register a user ID, instead of guest, to get rid of some of the more intrusive advertising.

-gauss

I graduated college 17 years ago with a slightly negative net worth. Since joining this forum a little more than three years ago, our NW has doubled in part due to market gains, but mostly due to an intense focus on LBOM and other core tenets of this crew of thousandaires, millionaires and multi-millionaires. We're closer to the "two comma club" than I thought I'd be at this age, and this board has been an influence on that.

Nearly everyone who posts here started out with a balance of $0.00. At least, I did.

And a good number started with a balance <$0.00 due to college debt (yours truly) or poor early decisions they then overcame in later years. It's a great place to find insights on virtually any financial starting point, destination or various way stops en route.

Back
Top Bottom