Lessons in local government

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our little area is wanting to incorporate a little wide spot in the road and make it function ………. So we go to the community meeting all of 65 people . Minutes of last meeting nothing exciting … Then they bring up new business waaaaaaaaaa. Holy Hell breaks loose in our little town there is a main route that goes through and there is a 90 degree turn . Imagine a sleepy little town with a 90 degree turn . One of the families own a beautiful old building on the turn . People try to speed through turn so they miss it and hit his building . He put oilwell casing in the ground and filled them with cement . He was made to tear his pipe down . In the last 6 months 4 accidents 2 through his building . The county commish his pipe is not approved for traffic control . The Commish can't get flashing signs feels people should drive slow so no need for any money for an approved guardrail . Then they want a family moved out because they have open sewage in their yard and it runs near an antique store . Then we find out there is no fire Hydrant in town for our elementary school. The community leader told us the biggest thing we need to worry about is no strip malls and no subdivisions . Only thing in this town is gas station , grocery store ( serves great sandwiches ) beauty shop , little hardware , antiques shops a real bootmaker an auto mechanic and a bunch of angry people . Glad I am on 11 acres with everyone around me on 10acres or more . I guess this is government no money nobody wants taxes and nobody wants more people or business.

If I were the owner of that building I would have sued whoever is responsible for the road a long time ago.

This is just a crazy situation people come through late at night and all of the sudden realize they are on a 90 degree turn . They go from 45 MPH to 10 mph . The poor guy in town has a big hole in his building and it seems like he is always repairing it . Seems odd no help from the pros at Texdot or the county . In Montgomery county just 2 miles from our town they have solar yellow slow down signs on all of the turns.

I think I’d take one of your meetings over a Portland council meeting. However it sounds like both would be entertaining. Our council has decided to close full lanes of major connectors and make them bike paths. So, as we are slated to grow by another half million people in the next couple of decades we’ll have have the lanes needed to move the traffic

waaaaaaaaaa
Indeed.

I guess this is government no money nobody wants taxes and nobody wants more people or business.

When nobody wants taxes, sometimes you get what you pay for.

That's not government, that's people getting what they want, apparently.

LOL , people getting what they want . What they want would take 10s of thousands . We are so behind the 8 ball . It is like nobody has any authority and of course nobody wants responsibility . Volunteer firemen won't go to all week classes because , who is going to pay their electric bill. We have a professor who trains homeland security at Texas A&M . He offered to train everyone in CPR 5.00 donation . All was heard was mumbles . Even local government does not seem to work.

LOL , people getting what they want . What they want would take 10s of thousands .
You indicated that they don't want to pay much in taxes.

So that part of what they want they may get, at the expense of everything else.

Back
Top Bottom