Lets Talk Riding mowers

Speaking of ride-on mowers. I currently push (or actually walk behind) about 3/4 acre of St. Augustine every 5-6 days and it takes me about 1.5 hrs. I actually enjoy it. Put on my Worktunes and listen to music but as I age I can see that at some point I might not be able and the DW definitely cannot and I'm not ready to pay 600-800 a month for a lawn service. I also use a older JD rider for my driveway and garden area. I have used the rider to mow before but it doesn't have the mulch kit and doesn't look as good as the Honda push.

Here's my question - What would be the best "mulching" ride-on mower on the market at present? I've been trying to cut back on the grass because of our seemingly endless droughts for the last 6-7 years by converting to mulch areas but am having a hard time reducing further.

Any suggestions?

Have you got the 4-wheel steering option? I really like that feature on my X300.

This mower was not equipped with the 4 wheel steer, but I am in a new development so no trees and few things to mow around. My neighbor has a 4 wheel steer and it is cool to watch it turn on a dime!!

VW

For me, with an acre of land that is mostly flat, a riding mower is a commodity, if I can get at least 10 years out of a moderately priced one I am happy. I bought a Poulan last fall from Lowes on sale for $900 (about $300 less than what it sold for in the spring).

I alternate between using it and my push mower. If I want a workout I'll use the push mower, if I want to save time, meditate, and solve the problems of the world in my head while I mow :), I'll use the riding mower.

I was frustrated at my old Toro zero turn was not starting and began blowing fuses. I started looking for a replacement.

The Ariens 52 inch zero turn at Home Depot was quite a bargain at $2999. It has the fully welded mower deck and most popular Kawasaki 23 hp motor. Ariens owns Gravely so my mower is the same mower as a Gravely model--at substantially less cost.

As long as a yard is not too steep, the zero turns are far superior machines. They cut twice as fast as a lawn tractor and are quite fun to operate.

I also bought an Ariens Zero-turn, mine is the Apex model 60-inch cut with the Kawasaki 24 hp engine. It is considered top end residential/low end commercial level machine. Bought mine at Lowes, where I was able to get a great price with rebates and discounts. I have approx 2.5 acres of grass and it is a serious lawn cutting machine. I can do it all in about 1.5 hours. Since I have a Kubota compact chassis tractor for the real tractor type jobs, the zero-turn is the best choice for lawn mowing at my place.

For OP I think you are financially best to put the $300 into the old one and use it for a few more years. If you want a newer mower that will cut better and faster, look into a zero turn. A good zero-turn will cost more than a budget lawn tractor, but will outlast that by many years and provide better reliability. To some extent you get what you pay for.

For me, with an acre of land that is mostly flat, a riding mower is a commodity, if I can get at least 10 years out of a moderately priced one I am happy. I bought a Poulan last fall from Lowes on sale for $900 (about $300 less than what it sold for in the spring).

I alternate between using it and my push mower. If I want a workout I'll use the push mower, if I want to save time, meditate, and solve the problems of the world in my head while I mow :), I'll use the riding mower.

If you are push mowing an acre, you're a beast!!!

VW

After seeing wheelbarrows and grills being assembled at HD, I swore I wouldn’t buy a mower there even if it was identical to the machines sold at the Deere dealer. Then a colleague told me the local Deere dealer assembles all mowers delivered in their territory even if sold by HD. Sure enough the machines on display at HD had a sticker under the seat “Assembled by XXX”, the local Deere dealer. I did buy from HD online and got 24mos@ 0%. The Deere dealer delivered it for no charge. The model is a D125 which is not sold by the dealer but it fits between the D120 and D130. Basically same as D130 but 20 hp instead of 22. My old rider was maybe 8hp. I believe Deere antagonized their dealers when they first started selling at the big box stores. They tried selling different models and different brands (Sabre), but ultimately arrived at the compromise of delivering through the local dealer.

I have two mowers. One is a Husqvarna Commercial Zero turn that is a beast, with Kawasaki 24 hp engine, ZT3400 tranny, heavy duty frame and heavy steel fabricated deck. Paid $5000 for a demo model. The other is a Kubota BX tractor with a belly mower mounted paid a ton for it with loader etc. etc. etc. The zero turn is faster, but the tractor is more comfortable...

Speaking of ride-on mowers. I currently push (or actually walk behind) about 3/4 acre of St. Augustine every 5-6 days and it takes me about 1.5 hrs. I actually enjoy it. Put on my Worktunes and listen to music but as I age I can see that at some point I might not be able and the DW definitely cannot and I'm not ready to pay 600-800 a month for a lawn service. I also use a older JD rider for my driveway and garden area. I have used the rider to mow before but it doesn't have the mulch kit and doesn't look as good as the Honda push.

Here's my question - What would be the best "mulching" ride-on mower on the market at present? I've been trying to cut back on the grass because of our seemingly endless droughts for the last 6-7 years by converting to mulch areas but am having a hard time reducing further.

Any suggestions?

You might want to look at one of the small, rear-engine riders that have 30- to 33-inch decks. Troy-Bilt (MTD) has one for about $1400. https://www.amazon.com/Troy-Bilt-TB30-30-Inch-Riding-Engine/dp/B07CDGCYRW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1533075962&sr=8-6&keywords=Troy-Bilt+TB30+R+Lawn+mower+%26+tractor These also go pretty cheap on Craigslist.

Any suggestions?

You can get a Lowes/Home Depot John Deere and I believe there is a mulching kit available for them. Also, I watch Craigslist for slightly used
John Deere tractor. You can get a great mower at a bargain. I am not a fan of Troy Built although I have a Troy built Tiller that requires more maintenance than most tillers.

VW

I got tired of fixing my 2004 craftsman 48 inch lawn tractor and this year bought a 54 inch country clipper zero turn. I'm actually liking to cut grass again, lol. I cut 2.5 acres. It's much more comfy sitting in its captain chair and steering with a joy stick. Kinda like steven hawking meets tim allen. It's physically much easier. My shoulders used to ache from all the turning on the old craftsman, now it's like holding a computer mouse. A serious improvement.

You can get a Lowes/Home Depot John Deere and I believe there is a mulching kit available for them. Also, I watch Craigslist for slightly used
John Deere tractor. You can get a great mower at a bargain. I am not a fan of Troy Built although I have a Troy built Tiller that requires more maintenance than most tillers.

VW

Troy-Bilt certainly isn't the quality brand it was 25 years ago. I have a Troy-Bilt 33-inch wide-cut walk-behind mower that I bought in 1992. I mowed 3 hilly acres with it for nearly 25 years -- it still fires on the second pull.

I think a lawn tractor is a little overkill for 3/4 acre. A model like this one you can get for about half the price of a good lawn tractor.

No way do you need to spend $3K for mowing one acre. I have used a Craftsman 42" for the last eight years on almost four acres and it is still going strong. To buy something like it new today would cost me about $15-1600 tops, especially now that we are getting closer to the end of the season for most retailers and deals will be abundant. Zero turns will always cost more and I don't see the big advantage to them for the typical homeowner.

Repair for $300

I'd say that most people that want to cut their grass and spend as little as possible would go ahead and fix their 8 year old mower for $300.

People that have $3K laying around and want to buy a new toy should just go ahead and buy it. Both alternatives will get the job done.

I have an Airens 15-42 zero turn I bought used probably 20 years ago.
I paid a grand for it. The motor was pretty much worn out. It still ran ok,but the ring was shot,and it was hard to keep oil in it. I found a NEW Motor for under 400 bucks (An 18,it had a 15) It was easy to bolt in. It's been a heck of a lawn mower,and I can't imagine going back to a non Zero turn. If the grass isn't too high,and not too damp I can cut faster than i could run.

zero turn

Big box stores beat up their suppliers, John Deere included, to make cheaper products. A JD at HD is NOT the same as a regular product line JD. For example, HD sells a 'D' series JD for about $1600 vs an 'X' series at the tractor supply store for about $3000. The HD version has cheaper trans, engine and other things to roughly cut the price in half. Many complaints about big box John Deeres. Apparently the Tractor Supply stores begged JD not to make the cheap version, but they did it anyway to get the big box sales. It does erode the brand, but you get what you pay for.

Have a 50" Cub Cadet zero turn for mowing about an acre. Have used many types of riders and tractors previously. It is probably overkill, but it is much faster and a lot of fun. Would never go back to standard riding mower.

Brought home a 52" Scag Patriot this morning and just finished the lawn. Still need more "stick time" to operate it efficiently but it's a pretty cool machine.

Brought home a 52" Scag Patriot this morning and just finished the lawn. Still need more "stick time" to operate it efficiently but it's a pretty cool machine.
I had a 61" Scag Wildcat Thing was a beast! Please wear your seatbelt until you really understand how fast that machine can go and mow. I was almost pitched forward off of it while mowing about 10-12 mph.

That reminds me. I need to get my Ariens 52 inch mower out. My yard is 150 x 220 feet, and I can mow it in maybe 25 minutes. I.also use it to.tow my utility trailer and move my.pontoon boat trailer around the yard.

Big box stores beat up their suppliers, John Deere included, to make cheaper products. A JD at HD is NOT the same as a regular product line JD. For example, HD sells a 'D' series JD for about $1600 vs an 'X' series at the tractor supply store for about $3000. The HD version has cheaper trans, engine and other things to roughly cut the price in half. Many complaints about big box John Deeres. Apparently the Tractor Supply stores begged JD not to make the cheap version, but they did it anyway to get the big box sales. It does erode the brand, but you get what you pay for.

Most of this is not accurate from my first hand experience. It may have been more accurate in the past. I bought a D125 from HD which was assembled, checked out, and delivered by the local JD dealer. JD dealer had D120 and D130 models as well as X series when I was shopping. The D125 specs and pricing were between the 120 and 130 models. They now sell E series models.

While recovering from hip replacement surgery I have been having my neighbors grand daughter mow my lawn. She is a long-legged 5'9 and barely fits on the neighbors rider. I am 6'6". It doesn't seem like they would be useable for people like me. Anyone that height able to fit on a rider?

While recovering from hip replacement surgery I have been having my neighbors grand daughter mow my lawn. She is a long-legged 5'9 and barely fits on the neighbors rider. I am 6'6". It doesn't seem like they would be useable for people like me. Anyone that height able to fit on a rider?

I'm 6'4" and have fit on numerous riders. Most seats are very adjustable.

2 inches shouldn't make that much difference, at least in most things......

Most of this is not accurate from my first hand experience. It may have been more accurate in the past. I bought a D125 from HD which was assembled, checked out, and delivered by the local JD dealer. JD dealer had D120 and D130 models as well as X series when I was shopping. The D125 specs and pricing were between the 120 and 130 models. They now sell E series models.

Not to dispute your experience, but I have owned several of the John Deere series over the years. The D series are good daily mowers for smaller yards.
They are not built like the X300,X500 series from John Deere. Walk up to them and look at both. You will see a big difference in quality. Having said that, I think they work fine for most non-commercial jobs.

I had a Scag that would accommodate your height.

To each his own

No way do you need to spend $3K for mowing one acre. I have used a Craftsman 42" for the last eight years on almost four acres and it is still going strong. To buy something like it new today would cost me about $15-1600 tops, especially now that we are getting closer to the end of the season for most retailers and deals will be abundant. Zero turns will always cost more and I don't see the big advantage to them for the typical homeowner.

I disagree. I have about 1 acre of mowing and my 50 inch Toro zero turn is game changing. Until you have tried it you will never know. Time to cut is cut in half and it is truly fun to drive. I have used a regular lawn tractor and I would never go back. The $3-4 thousand price tag is for a machine beefy enough to last years and years. I am a tight wad (as are many here), but I have no regrets dropping the $4k I spent. Fear not!

Back
Top Bottom