Libel and what you post on Forums and Blogs.

I am considering walking myself. When the lawyers get involved, all the fun is gone (sorry Martha). If I have to watch everything I post because some fool may want to sue, well what fun is that? Anyway, while pondering I have changed my signature, too. CYA, don't ya know?

BTW: Everything I have ever posted is a lie. Don't believe a word of it. If you want to make life/financial/travel/political/religious or any other decisions, consult somebody who's proficient, reliable and professional and disregard anything I may have posted. I have none of those qualifications. My posts are for my amusement ONLY.

Dr Phil recently tried to mediate a case on TV concerning a dating website (basically a place for women to rant on past boyfriends). Seems a woman libeled a guy she dated (who turned out to be a lawyer). The lawyer has sued the forum owner (instead of going after the poster) and seemed to imply that his suit was built upon the owner editing the libelous post, thus providing no protection under the decency act (as this makes her a journalist and thus provides no protection).

Can't remember the website but would be interesting to see the outcome.

found the website: dontdatehimgirl.com and the summary is here

Martha said:
Good defense lawyer argument. :)

I don't know anything about forum software, and possible ways to "get around" how a forum works, but if there is a moderator edit on this board the edit shows at the bottom of the post.
That's definately not always true, Martha. Or at least it hasn't been. I've had polls and posts modified by someone without any indication of who or when. I assume this has been moderators. :mad:

sgeeeee said:
That's definately not always true, Martha. Or at least it hasn't been. I've had polls and posts modified by someone without any indication of who or when. I assume this has been moderators. :mad:

Never has been me. I clearly say if I modify something.

I think anyone can modify a poll, but I am not sure. I agree if a poll is modified an edit notice doesn't show up. Sometimes if a post is edited right away, the edit doesn't show, so I guess what you say could happen.

MasterBlaster said:
< This will be my last post as I cannot afford the legal liability of sharing my opinion with this forum>

- So sad !

and i enjoyed it so much too

Eagle43 said:
I am considering walking myself. When the lawyers get involved, all the fun is gone (sorry Martha). If I have to watch everything I post because some fool may want to sue, well what fun is that? Anyway, while pondering I have changed my signature, too. CYA, don't ya know?

Are you guys seriously thinking of leaving? Man, I didn't mean to make people nervous. I am sorry I started this thread. :-[ The thread was supposed to be about defamation--or lying about someone on the internet. Now it has morphed into malpractice. Malpractice claims are not so broad as to encompass you guys. Now quit worrying about this crap and keep posting.

Not sure if the comments about leaving the forum are in jest or for real, but this forum is not the issue. It's what you say and how someone chooses to interpret it.

If you feel you need to leave the forum, you may as well leave all forums, all public speaking venues, stop writing anything anywhere that might be publically accessible, and basically just hole up. Walk, and the whackos win.

It's surely a strange world out there when it comes to this type of thing (and others, like spilling hot coffee from McD's in your lap). The best defense is just not to commit slander or libel. Big difference from openly expressing your opinion -- I think that's still legal in the USA ;).

I applaud Martha for bringing this interesting topic up for discussion. I am learning alot more about it.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Walk, and the whackos win.

Looking around, I think the whackos won some time ago.

Ha

Although, we reveal some aspects of our life (which may or may not be true like I am really a 10 year old alien from a galaxy far far away), isn't this forum an exchange of ideas and (true or false) information between anonymous people so how would someone be able to start libel lawsuit unless it would be against the innocent owner of this forum.

Martha said:
Never has been me. I clearly say if I modify something.

I think anyone can modify a poll, but I am not sure. I agree if a poll is modified an edit notice doesn't show up. Sometimes if a post is edited right away, the edit doesn't show, so I guess what you say could happen.
I do just want to add that the modifications I've seen to my polls and posts (only two occasions) were not because someone thought something I said was inappropriate. The edits that have happened to me in the past seemed designed to make fun of me personally. This is one reason I am so touchy about moderator censorship and editing. This power has been abused. :-\

sgeeeee said:
I do just want to add that the modifications I've seen to my polls and posts (only two occasions) were not because someone thought something I said was inappropriate. The edits that have happened to me in the past seemed designed to make fun of me personally. This is one reason I am so touchy about moderator censorship and editing. This power has been abused. :-\

I have no complaints and I continually set myself up (for possible censorship). No plans to back off
either. :)

JG

sgeeeee said:

Are you possibly holding the moderators to a higher standard than you hold yourself?

youbet said:
Are you possibly holding the moderators to a higher standard than you hold yourself?
No. That makes no sense. I do not have the ability to edit other's posts, so I cannot set any standards for how to edit other's posts.

Back
Top Bottom