Life Expectancy - Best graph ever

As for me, I doubt that I am among the lucky to live another 30 years (into my 90s). And I also feel reasonably secure that I will not run out of money in 30 years. That takes care of the money worry.

Many people will say "but you will not be spending all your money". That's fine with us, as we already have what we need or want.

What is most striking to me, however, is the pretty obvious hard stop at 90-95. The text describes this as an apparent "natural limit."

Future life expectancy gains are going to have to come about by addressing the issue of aging, not by continuing our, admittedly successful, war on disease. Until the anti-aging breakthrough comes, it looks like we are going to continue to kick the bucket at 90 or so.

A key phrase from the report: Over the past 90 years, life expectancy has not greatly increased for those over 75 years of age.
I don't see that from the graph. What I see is the gain bubble shifting right. If the trend continues, in 2056 you may very well see a big increase in gains in the 90-100 range, leveling out at 110. Maybe it won't move that far, as the graph really didn't move much to the right between 1921 and 1966, but it sure did in 2011, which doesn't convince me that a "natural limit" has been met.

I don't see that from the graph. What I see is the gain bubble shifting right. If the trend continues, in 2056 you may very well see a big increase in gains in the 90-100 range, leveling out at 110. Maybe it won't move that far, as the graph really didn't move much to the right between 1921 and 1966, but it sure did in 2011, which doesn't convince me that a "natural limit" has been met.

I can kinda see that if I squint real hard. But it looks to me more like the right hand side of the bubble is getting REAL steep around 90/95. Sure a few people "leak through", but I think that the peak will get skinnier and skinnier with little movement of the upper edge.

We need more data. Can we agree to talk about it in 2041 when the Canadian gov't updates this? I'll bet you a beer on the outcome.;)

I can kinda see that if I squint real hard. But it looks to me more like the right hand side of the bubble is getting REAL steep around 90/95. Sure a few people "leak through", but I think that the peak will get skinnier and skinnier with little movement of the upper edge.

We need more data. Can we agree to talk about it in 2041 when the Canadian gov't updates this? I'll bet you a beer on the outcome.;)
OK, I see your point that the curve is getting steeper. Still, I also see it moving to the right. So, to be continued. Maybe we can get an exception to the thread aging rule so we can revive this thread in 2041!

Scientists say that there is someone alive today that will live to be 150,

Scientists say that there is someone alive today that will live to be 150,

Living at home or spending years in skilled nursing care?

I got to watch mom (died barely into her 60s) spend most of the last decade of her life bedridden in skilled care as the result of the progress of her dementia.

I'd rather die at 70 at the dinner table on a cruise (stolen from another thread) than live to be over 100 in her condition.

... it looks to me more like the right hand side of the bubble is getting REAL steep around 90/95...
Yes. None of them gets out alive, I tell ya!

The Grim Reaper gets them all, except for a few very lucky ones. Even then, these only live a few more years, and in sub-optimal fashions.

Last edited:
Living at home or spending years in skilled nursing care?

I got to watch mom (died barely into her 60s) spend most of the last decade of her life bedridden in skilled care as the result of the progress of her dementia.

I'd rather die at 70 at the dinner table on a cruise (stolen from another thread) than live to be over 100 in her condition.
Those aren't the only 2 possibilities. I've known at least 3 people who were vibrant into the 90s. Skied with 2 of them.

Back
Top Bottom