Live to 100? Need good genes, not good habits

You should be more upset that the "official" medical experts were very wrong on many aspects.

We both understand that medicine is a science and an art.. The knowledge base is changing exponentially.

Of course they can be wrong. My spouse often comments about the treatment of MS patients when she was nursing vs today. All based on increased knowledge base and undersanding of medical science. Not the other.

What bothers us are the know nothings who get them themselves into a circular
trip of believing all of the nonsense on face book and from the many self absorbed conspiracy theorist that are out and about.

You should be more upset that the "official" medical experts were very wrong on many aspects.

Yes. The thing that ticks me off vis a vis the official medical establishment is they like to speak with a false level of authority based on an often unwarranted certainty. They never give you the real information i.e. "We don't know." Well, this is the information we have now and we think it means this..." Their recommendations are absolute. "The Standard." It, in effect, makes them little better than the unofficial self-appointed health gurus.

We both understand that medicine is a science and an art.. The knowledge base is changing exponentially.

Of course they can be wrong. My spouse often comments about the treatment of MS patients when she was nursing vs today. All based on increased knowledge base and undersanding of medical science. Not the other.
I usually take my doctors advice but I can recall three times in the past five or six years, I've had doctors recommend certain out patient "procedures/treatments":. In each case I was told "absolutely" things will not get any better on their own and would probably get worse if not treated. It just didn't seem so "absolute" to me so I decided to wait in all three of these cases. They were wrong in two cases. Maybe the problems would have been resolved quicker with the procedures/treatments, maybe not. The verdict is still out on the third issue (eye problem) but it's been three years now and seems to be getting better slowly, certainly not worse.

Makes me wonder how many things would resolve on their own if left to mother nature. Certainly not all, but....

Last edited:
I usually take my doctors advice but I can recall three times in the past five or six years, I've had doctors recommend certain out patient "procedures/treatments":. In each case I was told "absolutely" things will not get any better on their own and would probably get worse if not treated. It just didn't seem so "absolute" to me so I decided to wait in all three of these cases. They were wrong in two cases. Maybe the problems would have been resolved quicker with the procedures/treatments, maybe not. The verdict is still out on the third issue (eye problem) but it's been three years now and seems to be getting better slowly, certainly not worse.

Makes me wonder how many things would resolve on their own if left to mother nature. Certainly not all, but....

Having said that....we were not exactly rushing out to buy hydroxychloroquine (or chlorine for that matter) to combat covid as some misguided saps were.

Nor were we overly worried about microchips in our covid vaccinces, expiring in two years years from the vaccine, or somehow having 666 mark of the devil illuminated on our respective internal organs at some point in the future!

Nor did we consider sending away a 'free' vial of Jim Bakker's miraculous potion that would cure covid if you had it or prevent you from getting it if you did not.

Or...one of the MLM products that our niece was hawking that would not only prevent covid but would do the same for cancer.

Last edited:
Mod Note:

Let's knock off the Covid/vaccine chatter:

It's not the topic of this thread.
This thread is not in the Covid Sub Forum

My dad lived to 94 and was in great health until 85, and decent health until 90, when vascular dementia was diagnosed. It was a gentle decline until around his 94th birthday. Mom was in amazing health until 93 when her dementia started (just a few months after dad had died). She died at home this year at 101. Dad needed skilled nursing care for the last 8 months of his life. Mom needed full-time caregivers for the last 6 1/2 years of her life. Living to 100 isn't necessarily all that it's cracked up to be.

Both of my parents had brief windows when they understood they were beginning to have serious memory issues. At age 90 my dad said to me, "I think I'm beginning to lose it." My mom actually asked me if she had dementia. I replied "yes". She said nothing in response to that and probably quickly forgot both the question and answer.

If I realize that I'm beginning "to lose it", I hope that I will have the means, ability, and courage to peacefully ends things quickly.

Back
Top Bottom