Life is a series of ongoing negotiations

I find it really annoying that airports have crappy internet pages.

At this point in my life, I have few expectations. I just want to lead a nice quiet existence
Better a quiet existence than one filled with people who go out of their way to figure out your schedule so they could put themselves in your path at a time they know you'll be there so they could "coincidentally" bump into you and waste your time with pointless forced socializing that serves no purpose other than to waste your time and delay you from reaching your destination/accomplishing your goal. And somehow I would be the bad guy if I were to flip out on them and tell them to **** off.

My paranoia and agoraphobia are starting to surface.

What should I wear/buy?

What should I pack?

I did locate the suitcase.

I know I'm going to feel like crap after a day noise/light/sound/people/travel food/...

Can only hope I don't have a migraine.

What should I wear/buy?

What should I pack?

I know I'm going to feel like crap after a day noise/light/sound/people/travel food/...

Might want to try Chicos www.chicos.com. Not cheap, but pretty, comfortable and flattering clothes. They also have wonderful accessories that can make a simple outfit look really snazzy. A lot of their stuff is great for traveling. I'm sure they have lots on sales now. Two stores in Dayton. Their store locator has lots more in Ohio that may be more convenient for you.

Dayton, OH
The Oakwood Centre
Store #: 348
2500 Far Hills Avenue
Dayton, OH 45419
937-299-5886

Dayton, OH
The Greene
Store #: 605
98 Plum Street
Dayton, OH 45440
937-429-2906

What should I wear/buy?

What should I pack?

For travel day – wear nothing with metal (except metal zippers) – especially underwire bras and hair accessories. Shoes easy to put on and take off. Same with belt. No liquids in purse. You’ll have to take off jacket or sweater so blouse/shirt underneath will be seen.

Bring hand sanitizer, aspirin, a couple of food bars and a book. Buy water at the airport. If you can, a deli sandwich or some trail mix.

You won’t feel like crap and you will feel better if you drink water regularly during the day, even if you have to visit the bathroom frequently.

Are you going to check a suitcase or carry on?

Better a quiet existence than one filled with people who go out of their way to figure out your schedule so they could put themselves in your path at a time they know you'll be there so they could "coincidentally" bump into you and waste your time with pointless forced socializing that serves no purpose other than to waste your time and delay you from reaching your destination/accomplishing your goal. And somehow I would be the bad guy if I were to flip out on them and tell them to **** off.
What in the world are you talking about?

For travel day – wear nothing with metal (except metal zippers) – especially underwire bras and hair accessories. Shoes easy to put on and take off. Same with belt. No liquids in purse. You’ll have to take off jacket or sweater so blouse/shirt underneath will be seen.

Bring hand sanitizer, aspirin, a couple of food bars and a book. Buy water at the airport. If you can, a deli sandwich or some trail mix.

You won’t feel like crap and you will feel better if you drink water regularly during the day, even if you have to visit the bathroom frequently.

Are you going to check a suitcase or carry on?

Book: motion sickness on moving vehicle; do have window seats.

Food: will buy some at airport

Water: see above

Luggage: one small checked suitcase & one small carry one

Khan,

I am VERY prone to motion sickness in cars (can't read anything in a car) and on boats (have to wear a behind-the-ear-patch on a boat).

When I have flown (and I've flown a lot), thankfully, I have never had a motion sickness issue. I hope you are able to read in-flight, as it truly makes the time fly.

If it's a a longer flight (approx. 3 hrs+), they may show a movie on-board.

If you're the lucky type who can fall asleep anywhere, bring along a small pillow (these days I don't count on the airline to provide one) and catch a nap.

omni

Khan,

I am VERY prone to motion sickness in cars (can't read anything in a car) and on boats (have to wear a behind-the-ear-patch on a boat).

When I have flown (and I've flown a lot), thankfully, I have never had a motion sickness issue. I hope you are able to read in-flight, as it truly makes the time fly.

If it's a a longer flight (approx. 3 hrs+), they may show a movie on-board.

If you're the lucky type who can fall asleep anywhere, bring along a small pillow (these days I don't count on the airline to provide one) and catch a nap.

omni

Nope. That's one reason I dislike flying. Less than 2 hours each leg.

Last edited:

Food: will buy some at airport

Water: see above

Luggage: one small checked suitcase & one small carry one
Checked baggage allows you more clothing and stuff you can't carry on (skin creams and stuff). You can't lock it - don't pack anything valuable (electronics, jewelry)

Which airport? What time does flight leave? This is to check what options you have to buy food.

What should I wear/buy?

What should I pack?

For shopping and packing make a list .
I usually take an outfit for each day & one extra in case I wake up and hate that outfit . Enough underwear for length of trip , comfortable shoes , a jacket , one or two sweaters and one slightly dressier outfit & pj's .
What to buy ?
Pick a color and buy things that co-ordinate . Knits are easy . The pack well & do not wrinkle .Try Lands End Sport knit pants in gray or black then add either knit tees or turtlenecks depending on where you are going . Purchase a cardigan sweater in a complimentary shade add comfortable shoes . If you call Lands End they will help you select the items . Buy small containers of shampoo ,deodorant , & hairspray since they only let you carry on a small amount .

Checked baggage allows you more clothing and stuff you can't carry on (skin creams and stuff). You can't lock it - don't pack anything valuable (electronics, jewelry)

Which airport? What time does flight leave? This is to check what options you have to buy food.

Dayton OH , 1120, told to be there at least 2 hours earlier.

Khan, don't worry, you will be fine! Do you have a pair of earphones? Particularly if they are the earbud kind, bring them with you so you can watch a movie or TV program on the flight. If you have an iPod or similar, bring it along and you can listen to music. If you enjoy your privacy, earphones are very helpful! If you are not sure about details, check with your airline.

Most airlines will sell you a pair of headphones, but us LBYM folks are too cheap to buy them! I was on a 2.5 hour flight last night but had forgotten my earphones. I made friends and read the newspaper instead. My seatmate watched "Eat, Pray, Love" and pronounced it "not as good as the book".

I'm a nervous nellie flyer, but you're safer in the air than you are most anywhere else. I find it helps to look at the crew and realize that they have personal lives, homes and families and if they feel confident that they will get home safely, so should I.

Enjoy your trip, Khan!

+1 to MichaelB's comments about drinking lots of water. It's even more important than food IMHO. When waiting at airports, I am back-and-forth between the drinking fountains and the ladies' rooms. I know some people are suspicious of public water fountains, but I have yet to be poisoned.

Have a good trip!

Amethyst

May the force be with you Khan:flowers:

Enjoy your trip, Khan. You have gotten a lot of good, practical advice from previous posts.
I second the suggestion of Land's End knits. I love their fabrics and have a number of cotton sweaters with matching tees to wear to the office. I have to dress in layers in our office space which is in a historic landmark building. We are either sweltering or freezing and one must dress each day for unknown conditions. Bon voyage!

Dayton OH , 1120, told to be there at least 2 hours earlier.
That time of day all the shops are open. They have Quiznos and Sbarros and a few others - not bad for the average airport. Dayton International Airport | Restaurants and Shops You can buy and eat there or bring it on the plane and eat later. Once you're past security you aren't restricted any longer on the stuff you can carry with you.

Others are giving good advice as well on clothing and such. Make a list, pack stuff that doesn't wrinkle easy, headphones. An MP3 player if you have one.

If you like doing puzzles or sudoku you can get a book that will keep you busy for the whole trip.

Anticipation is worse than the actual trip. You'll do fine.

That time of day all the shops are open. They have Quiznos and Sbarros and a few others - not bad for the average airport. Dayton International Airport | Restaurants and Shops You can buy and eat there or bring it on the plane and eat later. Once you're past security you aren't restricted any longer on the stuff you can carry with you.

Others are giving good advice as well on clothing and such. Make a list, pack stuff that doesn't wrinkle easy, headphones. An MP3 player if you have one.

If you like doing puzzles or sudoku you can get a book that will keep you busy for the whole trip.

Anticipation is worse than the actual trip. You'll do fine.

All that starch will make me ill; wish there were Atkins options.

Can not do puzzles or books; they are instant nausea on moving vehicle.
---------------------------------

Can I use a PC or smart phone while aloft?

PC is not a problem - just disable the wireless function if it has one. No experience with smart phones.

Atkins - buy a Quiznos with lots of meat and/or cheese and whole wheat bread, then just eat the insides and a little bit of bread.

Atkins - buy a Quiznos with lots of meat and/or cheese and whole wheat bread, then just eat the insides and a little bit of bread.

Around here, Quizno's offers salads, too. That could be an Atkins option, no?

omni

I do appreciate all the suggestions.
What's that song: "I will survive"

Khan, don't worry, you will be fine! Do you have a pair of earphones? Particularly if they are the earbud kind, bring them with you so you can watch a movie or TV program on the flight. If you have an iPod or similar, bring it along and you can listen to music. If you enjoy your privacy, earphones are very helpful! If you are not sure about details, check with your airline.

Most airlines will sell you a pair of headphones, but us LBYM folks are too cheap to buy them! I was on a 2.5 hour flight last night but had forgotten my earphones. I made friends and read the newspaper instead. My seatmate watched "Eat, Pray, Love" and pronounced it "not as good as the book".

I'm a nervous nellie flyer, but you're safer in the air than you are most anywhere else. I find it helps to look at the crew and realize that they have personal lives, homes and families and if they feel confident that they will get home safely, so should I.

Enjoy your trip, Khan!

I think they offer to sell you earphones so that you can PAY to watch the movie. I much prefer a nap.

Khan, you can take snacks to the airport with you through the security check--some string cheese, tuna in a pouch, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom