Light mayonnaise?

Out of curiosity, I punched in Duke's Mayonnaise in the search bar for Amazon.com, and you can get a case thru them.
Then I went on Duke's website to see what stores they might be in. They have one store in all of Illinois that carries it, but it is a chain grocery--and there is one of those stores in this area. I'm going to try this Duke's as the reviews are fantastic for it. Thanks for the suggestion, folks.

Inquiring minds want to know...... what will you do with a CASE of mayo? :whistle:

I can't use a case of mayo, but someone else might be able to. Maybe a big family or an orphanage?
Still tickled I found a store in this area to buy one jar. My life is complete now...ha!

All I'm going to say here is that there is NO OTHER substitute for DUKE'S mayo. The light is fine, the regular is legend. No other substitute. Not even homemade.
Let me repeat that--I'd walk across hot coals for Duke's. :)

Salad dressing <snort> Miracle whip (gross) Hellman's (in a an absolutely desperate pinch, maybe)

On the topic of mayonnaise. I once made a friend's head explode by informing him that mayo doesn't need to be refrigerated as long as a clean utensil is used each time you use it. People on boats regularly keep mayo for months without refrigeration. He says he felt like he was talking to Copernicus! :)

I read that in Mexico they don't refrigerate mayo, also. Wonder how that works? No eggs? Can we not refrigerate our mayo over here? I've never checked about not putting my Hellman's in the fridge...hmmmm.

I read that in Mexico they don't refrigerate mayo, also. Wonder how that works? No eggs? Can we not refrigerate our mayo over here? I've never checked about not putting my Hellman's in the fridge...hmmmm.

Low pH - acid from lemon juice, and/or vinegar, plus salt, and pasteurized eggs.

Mayo gets it's bad rap from the old days of homemade mayo, with unpasteurized eggs and uncontrolled processes. Few home kitchens have pH meters. Yet, people continue to go on and on about how all this processing of our food is bad for us :whistle:

Commercial mayonnaise has an undeserved bad reputation as a cause of food spoilage. In fact, commercial mayonnaise is loaded with acid and preservatives that can actually extend the life of salads by killing bacteria. The eggs used in prepared mayonnaise are pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria.

Mayonnaise Spoilage Myths - Mayonnaise Safety

According to the Association for Dressings and Sauces, commercial mayonnaise is stable for long periods without refrigeration because of its acidity. For quality reasons, though, it’s a good idea to refrigerate commercial mayonnaise after opening so it retains its fresh flavor and consistency.

Prairie Fare: Is Mayonnaise Really a Food Safety Issue?

Google "mayonnaise safety" for much, much, much, much more.

-ERD50

OK, I was running low on Miracle Whip Light, and found Duke's in the local Kroger today, and picked up a jar of the regular. I'll prolong the anticipation by waiting a week or so for the old jar to be finished.

Used to have Miracle Whip in the Midwest and fried bologna sandwiches. Then moving out west I got switched to Best Foods mayonnaise. Now I don't eat any of it. Figure its extra calories I don't need. Of course a little treat i still indulge in isBraunschweiger sausage with a bit of mayo and mostly mustard. Still remember the old man fixing some with crackers for lunch. Specially when mom wasn't home. :D

Oh I have to add I guess. I do not have it often enough to sacrifice and use light stuff ;)

MMMM...someone else who loves Braunschweiger. So good...and so Midwestern. Guess it's all the Germans who settled here.
My son was a Braunschwieger, saltines and yellow mustard baby. Ate it every morning before getting out of bed to ward off morning sickness. The Braunschweiger didn't help but sure tasted good. The saltines kept the nausea down. Another strange eating story about a pregnant woman..ha!

I loved braunschweiger as a little girl in St. Louis (before we moved to Hawaii). Since that time, I haven't known anybody who even knows what it is.

Nothing yummier for a little girl in the 1950's than braunschweiger and lots of miracle whip on white bread. :) Now that I am older and wiser, I might make those sandwiches with a more nutritious bread and with mayo (but less of it), though.

I could buy Braunschweiger in Houston, but I really think it's more of a Midwestern taste than anything, don't you?

I could buy Braunschweiger in Houston, but I really think it's more of a Midwestern taste than anything, don't you?

I like it too. I have never been anywhere that it was not sold. My parents bought some local brand, a whole 2 or 3# tube. My grandather made it also.

Best national brand IMO is Boar's Head, a deli line. Thumanns is better yet, but a little harder to find.

Ha

I've always fugured that the stuff added to "light" foods is probably worse for you than the ingredient(s) it replaced...

Since I'm west of the Mississippi, I'm SOL on Duke's in a store, but you can buy just a couple of bottles directly from them for $15. So I might give it a shot.

All I need it to get hooked and have to import my mayo from the South. My friends and DH already think I'm crazy....

Now, if someone can give me a line on authentic Belgian frites mayo, I'd be in heaven!

Back
Top Bottom