LightBulbs

ls99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Spent over an hour at Lowe's looking for a lightbulb. It is good to be retired to have time for such frivolity.

Of the hundreds of varieties, they had none of what I was looking for. Had hundreds of ugly, butt ugly and even uglier LEDs. Did find two 40 watt small glass Edison base ones which I also needed. Harder to find than needle in haystack even with the isle attendant's fancy hand held search device. It declared they had 32, did not give a clue where they were. Stupid search system setup by the store.

What I want is a standard US Edison base bulb with a reflector top which directs the light back towards the base. Without seening the filament. I have this crazy preference for seeing the light but never the light source. Do not know the proper description, though on internet search some came up as "chrome dome" some as "silver bowl".

Is there a standard description for such a bulb.

Guess will have to shop for it on fleabay.

On fleabay found an example:
Trying to decipher the description: 40Watt, 2.5 inch diameter round bulb. Wondering if the CH means the chrome relector.

Any light bulb experts out there:confused:??
Westinghouse 03156 - 40G25/CH Silver Bowl Light Bulb

485798.jpg

Last edited:
Try searching on silver crown bulb. Found this on first try. This happens to be at 1000bulbs.com, no fleabay necessary. Do you want an A19 or the globe shape you were showing?

Here's an A19 with standard base.
data

I found them too. Prefer 40 watt, and round, which is the G series. I'll be getting some on fleabay.

Was primarily trying to find out if there was a standard description for the reflective top bulbs. Perhaps each manufacturer had their own way of describing them.

Buy only one or two if you really prefer an attractive LED version. The LED marketers are through harvesting the low hanging fruit of common bulbs and are moving into the specialty bulbs. A year or two ago I couldn't buy an LED bulb in the unique bulb shape used for refrigerator lights, but now it's easy. Same-o for LED versions of the high wattage tubular halogen bulbs with contacts on the ends. Now they are starting to be available. Next I want 12v LEDs to replace the miniature halogens with wire or pin bases used in many of our track lights. They will come and so will yours.

Buy only one or two if you really prefer an attractive LED version. The LED marketers are through harvesting the low hanging fruit of common bulbs and are moving into the specialty bulbs. A year or two ago I couldn't buy an LED bulb in the unique bulb shape used for refrigerator lights, but now it's easy.

I discovered the same for yellow outside bug lights. Two years ago I couldn't find any. Now they are plentiful.

Found an equivalent on Amzon. Probably of lower quality than your Westinghouse 03156.

Satco S3861 Incandescent Light Bulb (Pack of 6), Silver Crown Finish, 40 Watts, 280 Initial Lumens, 120 Volts, G25 Lamp Shape, Medium Base, E26 ANSI Base, 4 3/8'' MOL, 3.13'' MOD, 1500 Hours Average

Long lead time on shipping is also a warning of sorts, at least for me.

Back in June I ordered some LED 'bulbs' to replace the remaining non-LED lights in the RV. The fixtures are closer to car lights than normal house lights, but I found a 20-pack for *dirt cheap* on Amazon, I think. Similar bulbs at Camping World are insanely expensive. So far they are working as expected. Nice and bright, very low power draw on the batteries.

Back
Top Bottom