Living wills

GTM

Recycles dryer sheets
With all the controversy we are seeing in Florida at this time,

How do you feel about Living Wills?

My version was done by Smith and Wesson. It protects
me now and will protect me from a Terry Schaivo type
situation, if my trigger finger still works
(and I can remember where I keep the ammo) :)

Seriously, we don't have one, but I think
it's a real good idea.

JG

I have a health care directive and a power of attorney for health care.  While some think the POA is best I am not sold, as I age so will the person I name.  The advance directive for health care sets out what I value and the extent to which I want my life maintained.  For example, although I doubtless won't know the difference, I want water but not food.  Don't keep me alive otherwise except to maintain my organs for donation.

I once found an internet site with free forms for each state.  IMHO this should be a free public service.

MRGALT2U- Many don't know that self inflicted gun shot wounds to the head are common in elderly widdowed frail men.  You are going to have to do the job at home, many care facilities prohibit guns.

I noticed a few years ago that my HMO not only provided all of the legal forms related to health care such as a living will, medical power of attorney and health care directives...and would provide assistance for you to fill it out at no additional charge.

Probably a good move for them...spend a few dollars up front and a lot less later when nobody knows what to do with you while you're hooked up to a 100k worth of machines.

My daughter who lives in my same town would be given my healthcare power of attorney. I have made no directives. Having been thru this a couple of times myself, I believe this is best since situations can be so different. Most importantly, she pretty much shares my outlook on such things in general, so I figure it is better not to tie things up too much.

MRGALT2U- Many don't know that self inflicted gun shot wounds to the head are common in elderly widdowed frail men.  You are going to have to do the job at home, many care facilities prohibit guns.
His spouse and mine have both purchased us a new 9mm "Gonzo" home healthcare policy from Hunter S. Thompson's company.

Just make sure you practice spelling backwards, John...

Schiavo case made us actually sit down and execute the necessary documents.

Each state is a little different. The main point is that there should be a declaration setting forth, if you cannot make you position known, the type of care that you want (i.e. full extraordinary means ....no medical devices, but full food and water...no extraordinary means, let me die, etc.) and under what circumstances the directive should be employed (i.e. comatose, incurable disease, etc.). In addition, there should be the appointment of a person to carry out that directive.

Unless this is a well drafted document, the health care providers may have difficulty in following the directive and instruction, and if the matter gets into the Courts, it is very important that the document be State specific and follow the mandates of each State.

The documents shouldn't cost more that $100-150. Get a lawyer who works in the estates area.

uncledrz

After spending so many years making sure that the older generations in our family had their Healthcare Proxies and Do Not Resusitate (DNR) paperwork routinely updated...now its our turn. :-/

BUM

A site that I find reliable for free legal forms and information is www.findlaw.com.  

Martha

I understand that documents drawn up by attorneys have been questioned or not honored by hospitals.

Do you think the forms on this website would suffice?

Yep thats true. Sometimes the hospitals ignore the docs or someone elects to fight them. Even when you've clearly documented your wishes, sometimes someone decides they know better or that you really didnt want it that way.

My wife works at the local hospital. She tells me most of the nurses and doctors have no idea who has DNR's or other legal documents in place around their care and dont have time to check when they come on shift. They regularly resuscitate people with DNR's.

They regularly resuscitate people with DNR's.

Bad very bad. So what happens then? Resus notes go onto a chart with a DNR inside? Isn't that a lawsuit gimmie?

BUM
:eek:

Getting back to the "Smith and Wesson" option, obviously this would have to be done somewhere
outside of a "facility".
Also, as in hunting, it's important to "use enough gun".

You do it in the garage, it's just a little soap and water.
You go with a small caliber weapon and you can leave
a real mess for everyone.

JG

Bad very bad. So what happens then? Resus notes go onto a chart with a DNR inside? Isn't that a lawsuit gimmie?

BUM
:eek:

You know, I dont know what happens, if anything. I do know that if I had a DNR and they brought me back, my care from then on would be at the hospitals expense, not mine.

She said if someone 'codes', the nurse on duty will usually just start working on the patient without looking at any paperwork. Once they've started resuscitation, I guess they dont stop to read up.

She says some doctors and nurses will also ignore a DNR if they dont 'believe in it'.

Probably hard to press a lawsuit for saving someones life cuz you didnt want them to...:confused:

I understand that documents drawn up by attorneys have been questioned or not honored by hospitals.

I'm sure it depends on the circumstances and on the hospital. When the end came for my wife, the local hospital (Stanford) honored the wishes laid out in her living will without question.

Peter

The confusion around a DNR usually starts with an unexpected trip to the hospital or unexpected outcome in a routine procedure. The KEY decision is whether or not to go to a hospital in the first place. Often hospital staff don't have enough information to determine whether or not a DNR is appropriate under those specific circumstances so they error on the side of preserving life. If you are close to life's end, and you know in advance, line up comfort care (hospice services) at home, get yourself discharged, and DON'T CALL 911!

There is a story behind my comment about guns in a long term care facility as told to me by an administrator. One of the male residents was a hunter who insisted in having his gun. Somewere during his residency he got ammo. He had a touch of demensia, as do many in such a facility. One of the other residents got on his nerves and he shot him. Picture the situation of his family, he needed care they couldn't provide and would only move if he could take his gun. You can't force anyone into a LTC facility without a court order. They took a shortcut and Pops committed murder. To this day I am not sold on 'community placement' for many of our mentally ill, whatever the cause.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom