Here we go again, it’s Daylight Saving Time

I'm probably in the minority but I would prefer standard time all year round. I walk at 6:30 every morning and much of the year it's dark. It's just starting to be light now and we will change clocks and I'll be walking in the dark again. Oh well, I'm use to it.

WhicH, IMO, is the primary reason switching to permanent DST will be a tough sell. The school kids will be out waiting for buses or walking to school in the dark.

Me? I don't really care if we keep the current system or switch permanently to STD or DST. Between clocks and timers we have 15 or 16 devices that need to be changed. Some are automatic but it takes me maybe 20-30 minutes to make the switch. The hardest part reverting to standard time is the dog. She wakes me around 5am to go out. Starting tomorrow (Monday) I'm hoping she lets me sleep till 6. :dance:i

That makes no sense unless you're still working. Unless I have something scheduled early I wake up when I wake up, and if the clock is ahead an hour upon waking it makes no difference.
Even when I was working, the time change didn't affect how much I slept. I never worked Sunday mornings, so I slept until I woke.

I still prefer DST and daylight later into the day based on the clock.

Oh forgot to mention my Fitbit earlier - it auto adjusts also. Too bad it's terrible at actually knowing when I'm asleep. :LOL:

I remember the DST in winter back in the early 70s. We lived on a private dirt road and I had to walk 3/4 mile to the bus stop in total darkness (yes, uphill both ways!). I didn’t mind. Today that would likely get my parents arrested.

My peeve of the day is DW’s Subaru that doesn’t set its clock automagically. No excuse, since there’s a GPS built in. The first time we encountered that I gave up figuring out how to set it and took the car to the dealer. It took them 15 minutes to figure it out.

Today, I really don’t care. I wake up when I wake up, eat when I feel like it, and only worry about the clock when I have an appointment. Since cutting the TV cord we don’t even have to worry about what time a show starts.

It's still 12:00 to me :LOL: :facepalm:

But seriously, it was lot worse traveling western time to eastern time, or back again, for work travel. I would just like to stay on DST year round.

My choices in order are:

1. Stay on standard time all year
2. Stay on daylight saving time all year
3. Toss my alarm clock in the trash.
4. Switch back and forth as we currently do.

Who’s willing to admit they have a clock they never changed back in the falll? So now it will be right again.

It's not exactly a clock, but a few days ago I realized I never changed the clock time in my answering machine from last fall. So, I changed it. Than, I had to change it again today! :facepalm:

The only part that used to bug me was changing the clock in the car. Every car had a different method and I could never remember exactly what to do without either spending ten minutes fiddling with it or looking it up in the manual.

I'm so glad that the last couple of cars have been connected to the cloud and take care of it themselves.

My previous car had 2 different clock-radios (the first one broke after less than 2 years so I don't remember what I had to do to change the clock). To change the time on the clock of the second radio, I had to turn a combination of the dials (tuner, volume) a certain way. I could never remember how to do it, even after 15 years, so I had to find the user guide for the radio to refresh my memory. Whenever I had the car battery changed, I had to dig out those instructions again.

My current car's clock is very easy. There is an H and a M button to advance the hours and minutes.

I have an old clock-radio (one of those Sony cubes they might have called a "Dream Machine") from the early 1980s (the radio doesn't really work any more) and its clock time controls are "Fast" and "Slow" but only forward. This means, in the fall I have to advance the time 23 hours (using Fast) then make sure I switch to Slow near the end to zero in on the correct time. If I overshot the desired time, which was not a rare event, I had to speed through another 23 hours and try again.

It's still 12:00 to me :LOL: :facepalm:

But it's 5 O'Clock Somewhere.:D

I am in the "I don't care" camp. Like Marko, I spent many years travelling across the world. 4, 5, 8, 12 time differences. One hour, who cares. Go to bed early, get up late (reverse in the fall). It's Sunday morning for crying out loud. For those that work week-ends or shift work, your timing is already screwed up. Adjust like you always do.

All this whining about 1 hour. "Get Over It" (cue The Eagles)

Back in the day I had a guy on my 11p-7am crew that always complained about working 9-hrs in the fall but getting paid for 8. But he never seemed to have an issue with working 7-hrs in the spring but getting paid for 8. :facepalm:

But it's 5 O'Clock Somewhere.:D

I am in the "I don't care" camp. Like Marko, I spent many years travelling across the world. 4, 5, 8, 12 time differences.

On such occasions, once a year I'd time a trip such that I'd have only 11 hours to adjust instead of 12.

I prefer Standard time. In Central Texas it is so hot during summer months we do not need an extra hour of daylight. Also one way or the other I just wish it would stay the same.

I prefer Standard time. In Central Texas it is so hot during summer months we do not need an extra hour of daylight. Also one way or the other I just wish it would stay the same.

I totally agree!

Imagine how much we could reduce global warming with an hour less daylight!

Edit: Please note that I am 77 yet just hit 50. :)

Last edited:
I totally agree!

Edit: Please note that I am 77 yet just hit 50. :)

Cut it all out, I don't mind as I can still drive pretty well in the dark.

Although electricity use would go up as an unintended consequence!:)

I know I'll adjust,but here I am at 6:36 reading my emails and all these post on ER. I am almos caught up since my body clock woke me up at 4am and after laying there in bed for an hour I gave up and got up. I'm about to get my second cup of coffee and then this afternoon it will hit me and I'll have to nap! It is a rough life but ohh well.

I know I'll adjust,but here I am at 6:36 reading my emails and all these post on ER. I am almos caught up since my body clock woke me up at 4am and after laying there in bed for an hour I gave up and got up. I'm about to get my second cup of coffee and then this afternoon it will hit me and I'll have to nap! It is a rough life but ohh well.

Yeah, my body clock woke me up at 4:00 am too darn it!

Now that it’s after 6 I’m going to go bake that breakfast quiche.

It just hit me...crap it's 7:33, and I'm supposed to be logged in at work! So, yeah, my body still hasn't quite adjusted. Although it's adjusted to working from home. I shudder at the thought that I used to actually be in the office by this time!

However, something else that will throw me off sometimes, and another sign that I watch tv...sometimes I'll pause it when I go to make the coffee, and do other stuff around the house. "I Dream of Jeannie" comes on at 6 and 6:30 and "Bewitched" at 7 and 7:30. Well, I had it paused just long enough, that Jeannie just went off.

So, sometimes I'll base what time I feel like it is, based on what's on the tv, so I have to double-check myself sometimes, if I happen to pause it for too long.

This morning, I woke up, and stayed up, around 4:45 am. There really is no need for me to be up that early, but my body just does it.

I totally agree!

Your funny :cool:

Shifting an hour of daylight to the evening, when temperatures here are typically 100°+ is more likely to increase AC usage because there is a lot of hot air in Austin (State gooberment). :angel:

I remember the DST in winter back in the early 70s. We lived on a private dirt road and I had to walk 3/4 mile to the bus stop in total darkness (yes, uphill both ways!). I didn’t mind. Today that would likely get my parents arrested.

My peeve of the day is DW’s Subaru that doesn’t set its clock automagically. No excuse, since there’s a GPS built in. The first time we encountered that I gave up figuring out how to set it and took the car to the dealer. It took them 15 minutes to figure it out...

While it's true that GPS know UTC to the nanosecond, along with your location, it doesn't really know your current state law regarding DST or the current federal law on start/stop of DST.
So you need some downloadable firmware in an adjacent processor to figure that properly...

I don't think minority at all. Majority of people hate/dislike it or at worst don't care. An extremely small minority like it and are in favor of it. I just want to know what political entity is so bent on keeping it. It has to be a PAC or political group but I haven't heard any politicians come out in favor of it.

I'm probably in the minority but I would prefer standard time all year round. I walk at 6:30 every morning and much of the year it's dark. It's just starting to be light now and we will change clocks and I'll be walking in the dark again. Oh well, I'm use to it.

I despise going this direction (To Daylight Savings, losing an hour of sleep).

I would 100% vote to stay on Daylight Savings time all the time. Please. Pretty please.

I think it is part of the grand scheme to keep sheeple slightly miserable and off kilter. Dark magic.

I don't think minority at all. Majority of people hate/dislike it or at worst don't care. An extremely small minority like it and are in favor of it. I just want to know what political entity is so bent on keeping it. It has to be a PAC or political group but I haven't heard any politicians come out in favor of it.

I expect it’s the schoolchildren waiting in the dark early morning.

I expect it’s the schoolchildren waiting in the dark early morning.

Schools are completely free to adjust their hours.
My high school in western Kansas (West edge of CTZ) started classes at 8:30 am.
We were fine as regards darkness...

All they have to do change the school hours.

Someone's going to get screwed, no matter what they do. When I was in high school, we had a somewhat late schedule, that was 9:30-4. I think I had to be at the bus stop by 8:30, and was usually home around 5. Around here, the earliest sunset is around 4:45 pm, which is from around late November to roughly December 13. The latest sunrise is around 7:27, and that's around the first 9-10 days of January. Although interestingly, since they started DST on the second Sunday of March rather than the last, depending on how early it falls, it puts it back to close to that. For instance, today's sunrise in my old zip was 7:24 (I'm just enough east now that sunrise is usually listed at 1-2 minutes earlier here). So yesterday it would've been around 7:25-7:26.

But, in the spring time, the days at least get longer, faster, and it seems like pre-dawn comes on earlier and lasts a bit longer, so even the time before sunrise seems a bit brighter.

But, during the shortest times of the year, there simply isn't enough daylight, to stagger school hours. Someone, somewhere in the time zone, is probably waiting for the bus in the dark, or getting dropped off in the dark. And that's probably going to hold true, whether you keep DST or not through the winter.

School times get staggered anyway, to accommodate school bus schedules. If all schools started and ended at the same time, we would need a LOT more buses and drivers. One thing I also remember about my old high school...it was the first in the county to have central air, so it had very few windows that opened. The idea behind it was that they wouldn't have to send the kids home when it got too hot. But in reality, whenever it got too hot, they'd send us home early, just like all the kids at other schools, so we wouldn't screw up the bus schedules. But then, when the HVAC failed, we'd get the extra "bonus" of a day off, or getting sent home early, even though that DID screw with the bus schedules.

The only part that used to bug me was changing the clock in the car. Every car had a different method and I could never remember exactly what to do without either spending ten minutes fiddling with it or looking it up in the manual.

I'm so glad that the last couple of cars have been connected to the cloud and take care of it themselves.
Funny story. The owners manual for my 2004 Honda has a printing error on the page with the instructions for setting the clock. Two entire lines of text are switched, making the instructions nonsense. I went for years baffled by why I couldn't understand how to set the clock. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom